Thread: my new ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

my new ride!

I've had this for a few months and am having a blast breaking it in!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sweet looking ride! How does that front fork handle? I'm curious about the higher end Rock Shox Forks...
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

I DON'T avoid rocks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    It handles really well, but I have to admit I don't have a lot of experience with other forks. One of its best features is adjustability. You can change the rate of rebound, the compression, and also lock it out if necessary. Before getting the bike, I didn't know if I would use those features but I have quite a bit.

wait...what?
    Nice bike...I'm thinging about getting an RS rev...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks CaliforniaNicco! I've had great luck with the RS Revelation and I've heard the 426s are even better (I've got the 409).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You know it seems like the word Motobecane automatically instills images of titanium hardtails but there's a sharp looking dual squish. If you don't mind my asking, how much did she set you back?
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Looks damned good! She reminds me of my Turner Burner.
    I like to ride bikes.

sushi lover
    May 2006
    Looks lovely!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTwisted
    You know it seems like the word Motobecane automatically instills images of titanium hardtails but there's a sharp looking dual squish. If you don't mind my asking, how much did she set you back?
    Hey SlimTwisted - Thanks for the compliment. She was discounted for $999 from $1299 because it was an 07' model. I've spent another $150 on the WCS (seatpost, stem, & hbars) and grips. I added a seat that I already had. I plan on adding BB7s for another $90 and then I'll be done (for now).

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24
    Looks damned good! She reminds me of my Turner Burner.
    Thanks, Otis24! It's been a lot of fun so far!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hamachi
    Looks lovely!
    Thanks, hamachi!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lipton
    Hey SlimTwisted - Thanks for the compliment. She was discounted for $999 from $1299 because it was an 07' model. I've spent another $150 on the WCS (seatpost, stem, & hbars) and grips. I added a seat that I already had. I plan on adding BB7s for another $90 and then I'll be done (for now).

Very nice. One suggestion I would have is to forget about the BB7s and go hydro. You should be able to get a great deal on some Hayes 9s for not much more than what you will pay for the BB7s. Have no fear, maintenance is simple and the stopping power is far superior. It will let you make the move to one-finger braking and your bike control will go up many notches. Can I get a second on that!?!?!?! Just do it.

Here's a deal at Jenson. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Packaging.aspx

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaNicco
    Nice bike...I'm thinging about getting an RS rev...
    I put one on my new build and like it very much. I had a Reba on my last bike. The Rev dual air is basically the same fork in 140mm configuration.

No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lipton
    Thanks CaliforniaNicco! I've had great luck with the RS Revelation and I've heard the 426s are even better (I've got the 409).
    The only difference between the 426 and 409 is that 426 has external floodgate and poploc. Personally I would rather forgo the poploc and the additional clutter and cost. Although I think both may have poploc for 09, either way the RS Rev is one of the best trail/am forks available!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmax
    Very nice. One suggestion I would have is to forget about the BB7s and go hydro. You should be able to get a great deal on some Hayes 9s for not much more than what you will pay for the BB7s. Have no fear, maintenance is simple and the stopping power is far superior. It will let you make the move to one-finger braking and your bike control will go up many notches. Can I get a second on that!?!?!?! Just do it.

Here's a deal at Jenson. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Packaging.aspx
    I disagree. While obviously hydro discs have some better qualities than mechs, i think it would be a bad idea to go with a budget, or low end set of hydros. They are more trouble than they are worth. I have experience with both the HFX and the BB7, and the Avids just work great. Plus you can restring the cables trailside in an emergency.

mtbr member
    I guess we will just have to agree to disgree here. Two of my riding buddies have Hayes Nines that have lasted years. Stopping power far exceeds that of the BB7. We ride everything from cross country to gnarly decents and everything in between. Our bikes take a beating and the Nines keep on going. I ride them regularly, do maintenance on them (I am the group wrench), bleed them when necessary, etc...
    They are bombproof.

BTW - You can probably score some Juicy 5's in that same price-range as well. I just used Hayes 9's as an example. Get Nines, Juciys, or whatever. The deals are there.

Also, I have never had to repair damaged brakes trailside other than a simple centering of the caliper. My bros and I have been riding hard three times a week for years and have only experienced one issue with brake damage. In that case the brakes were the least of our concern.

Do you employ one-finger braking? It will take your riding to the next level because of the improved control you have over the bike while braking. This can't be done with the inferior stopping power of mech brakes. I know this from experience. Check out ALL pro riders. Very few if any two-finger pullers to be found!

Two finger braking = less control of your bike = greater risk of injury and slower riding.

Get hydros. Even the less expensive ones are better than the best mechs.

mtbr member
    Here you go.... Juicy 5s for $65.
    http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...8&MatrixType=1

mtbr member
    I put BB7s on my new build, I had them on my previous bike and I really liked them. The only time I wasn't thrilled with them was when I switched to the Alligator rotors...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Throw an 8" rotor up front, and the last thing you have to worry about is stopping power.
    thecoffeedean.com for fresh roasted small batch coffee

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks everyone for all the advice. After thinking about both sides of the issue, I ordered some 09' BB7s w/ the 185mm rotors. I will report back once I install and have a chance to use them a couple of times.

Thanks again!