Thread: My New Bike

likes bicycles

My New Bike

I just got this Transition Covert about a week ago. I had it built up as a 1x9 drivetrain. It came in at 30 pounds without pedals. This bad boy rides like a dream. It's a pretty good climber and descends like that's its only true purpose on this earth. Here's the component list:

Fork: Fox 32 Vanilla 140 RLC
    Shock: Fox RP 23
    Chainguide: TBC Chain guide
    Stem: Truvativ Team 1.125 x 75mm (black)
    Handlebar: Truvativ Team Riser 31.8 x 680 x 35
    Headset: FSA Orbit MX 1.125
    Cranks: Truvativ Stylo 3-ring 175mm
    Bottom Bracket: Truvativ GXP (included w/Crankset)
    Front Brake: Avid Juicy 7 6"
    Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 7 6"
    Tire - Front: Maxxis Ardent 26x2.25 Foldable
    Tire - Rear: Maxxis Ardent 26x2.25 Foldable
    Tubes: Maxxis Ultralight
    Pedals: Time ATAC
    Seatpost: Truvativ Team DC x 350mm
    Saddle: TBC All Mountain
    Grips: ODI Cross Trainer X
    Cassette: SRAM PG980 11-32
    Wheelset: TBC - Revolution All-Mountain
    Rear Shifter: Sram X9
    Front Shifter: Sram X9
    Rear Derailleur: Sram X9 Medium Cage
    Front Derailleur: Sram X9
    Chain: KMC z9000

From Covert!

From Covert!

From Covert!

From Covert!

From Covert!

From Covert!

catskillclimber
    Very Nice. Love the green.

mtbr member
    I love the color! Thats a pretty sweet bike for sure.

likes bicycles
    Thanks gents. Catskill climber... where do you ride? I'm up in Albany and make it down to Hunter whenever I get the chance. Any other good spots in the Catskills I should check out?

catskillclimber
    I ride Hunter most weekends. Plattekill is pretty hardcore downhill and best on a DH bike but can be rode on an AM rig. I might take my Reign there next year and take it easy. Ski Windham Resort just hosted the East Coast Nationals this summer and I am hoping they start opening the lifts regularly to the public next year. They had three trial weekends this year but I think it rained for two of them. Other than that the 909 trail is nice. Up here around SUNY Oneonta there are trails made by the college mountain bike club also. Hope to ride with you at Hunter next year and let me know if your interested in beating up your AM rig with me at Platty.

jones'in
    Nice ride. I like that green as well....
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by catskillclimber
    I ride Hunter most weekends. Plattekill is pretty hardcore downhill and best on a DH bike but can be rode on an AM rig. I might take my Reign there next year and take it easy. Ski Windham Resort just hosted the East Coast Nationals this summer and I am hoping they start opening the lifts regularly to the public next year. They had three trial weekends this year but I think it rained for two of them. Other than that the 909 trail is nice. Up here around SUNY Oneonta there are trails made by the college mountain bike club also. Hope to ride with you at Hunter next year and let me know if your interested in beating up your AM rig with me at Platty.

If all goes according to plan i'll spend most of my weekends at Hunter as well, so we'll def have to make a ride happen there. Platty looks pretty big, but i'm always down for a challenge. I used to ride Hunter on a xc hardtail, so why not an am rig at Plattekill? Also read some of the trail reviews for the 909 which looked real solid too. So thanks for the spots, and we'll have to hit some trail in the not so distant future.

mtbr member
    Sweet ride man, and it looks even better in person . BTW did you ever get your chain guide adjusted?

Regarding Platty, I know your skills are much higher than mine, but Platty scares me. I've ridden Hunter and had a lot of fun. When I rode Plattekill, I felt like I was always on the brink of disaster lol. Don't get me wrong, there are some intermediate trails and fun trails. I found though that there were a lot more surprises, i.e. - cruising along an intermediate trail and all of a sudden there is a 6 foot drop with no go-around

catskillclimber
    Oh, I hear ya. Not much warning at Platty when the ground is gonna drop out from underneath you.

mtbr member
    I have been kind of teetering with the idea of a covert, you like that bike pretty well???
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

likes bicycles
    Yeah, Christian.. all the kinks seem to be worked out. When I brought it in for the loose chain guide, he tightened down the bottom bracket cup and gave me the bb wrench to fix it if it happens again. Before I went into the shop I tried to tighten down the bash guard to make sure it was ok, and all of the bolts started to fall out again.

Turns out the chain ring had become slightly bent. My theory is that this was because i kept riding not knowing only one bolt was holding it all together. But he put a new, unramped chain ring on that came with longer bolts. Also used superglue instead of lock tite, so I shouldn't have a problem til i go to change out my chainring....

And Keith, regarding the Covert, I would definitely say pull the trigger. I was actually between the two bikes you seem to own and the Covert for awhile, and I'm pretty pleased with my decision.

Now that the build is all straightened out, I'd say the only problem i've noticed is it experiences some pretty mean cable rub. But that'll eventually happen to any frame.

She rides like a champ, though. With the propedal on 2 and your weight over the saddle it peddles almost like a hardtail. I've found that riding with the propedal off is best for the technical terrain, as the wheel tracks well and the bob is pretty much a moot issue.

And oh yeah, it descends like a freeride bike. It seems to be sturdy enough to handle a little air and some drops. All around great bike!

p.s. How's the Chameleon? There's always the option of re-adding the hardtail to my arsenal...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitale232
    I'd say the only problem i've noticed is it experiences some pretty mean cable rub.
    There is clear "tape" for lack of a better term that you can use on cable rub areas.

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/F...Patch+Kit.aspx

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74
    There is clear "tape" for lack of a better term that you can use on cable rub areas.

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/F...Patch+Kit.aspx

Very nice. Thanks for the link. I had just thrown some electrical tape on the raw spots. The black actually blends in pretty nicely.

You lookin to ride this weekend? Sunday's lookin pretty nice in the ten day forecast, but we all know how reliable that is...

mtbr member
    The last time I rode was Friday. I was riding my hardtail and forgot I was in the toe bails instead of clipless. I fell over (typical lol) and bashed my knee on a rock. It's still sore as hell but improving.

Anyway, I'm hiking a small mountain on Saturday, but might be up for a sunday ride. Let me know and keep me in the loop.

mtbr member
    Sweet bike!
    How's the 1x9 setup working for you and what size is the ring you're using?
    Also, how are you liking the AM 32's??