Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

my new AMish build

ill make this short- for the last 2 years i have been riding a diamondback sortie 3- which has been an amazing bike- but i always wanted just a little more bike for the trail/am riding. about 6 months ago i bough a blur lt2 frame and finished my build about a month ago- my goal was a bike that could be used everywhere and do well at everything (with in reason) i went with a 150mm fork and the weight is 28.xx lbs- i ride anywhere from xc to am depending on who wants to ride and when.
    there is a color theme i tryed to go with, the frame color, black and silver- trying to tie the silver in with wheels, hanlde bars, skewers, seat clamp- handle grips (NOT PICTURED) ect-

i would like to know what you all think, i have thick skin so feel free to be honest-
    heres a list of parts

frame- 2010 santa cruz blur lt2
    fork- fox 32 FIT RLC 15mm thru axle
    rear- rp23
    crank- noir carbon 2x9 setup
    bash gard- e13 turbocharger
    bb- gxp
    front derailleur- will be x9
    rear derailleur- x9
    shirter- x9
    brakes- juicy 5
    gear- sram 970
    wheels- easton haven
    tires- weirwolf 2.3 am ust tubless
    pedels- candy 2
    handlebars- easton haven
    stem- split second 70, 00.00.01
    seatpost- thompson elite
    seat- wtb silverado slx
    headset- chris king
    chain- 970
    grips- lizard skin peaty
    extras- kcnc hollow tech spacers, seat clamp and skewers,

the gf and i buying our santa cruz frames

the haven wheels she bought me for my bday-

lindsey- the gf, and myself have been riding for a few years now, we are both students, she is working full time for banner health, and ***** sporting goods on the weekend- she is also a full time student studying nursing- i am working full time managing a shoe store and am a full time student studying business management and accounting- we decided to build up bikes together to have something nice for our days off from work- and no we are not trust fund kids- however that would be nice

GAME ON!
    amish build make me think more of this

'tis a fine bike, indeed, but sure 'tis no barn. well done, brother ishmael.

Blue Pig
    I go to Amish bike shop. I should ask if they built it themselves.

On topic. Where is your g/f's completed frame?!
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

My spelling is atroshus
    That is a really nice build. It is good to see that there are some young people in our country that still believe in hard work to attain their goals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hmmm....... Something doesn't add up here. A working student paying their way through school, plus paying rent, utilities, food, car insurance and all the other fun stuff, can't normally afford a high end bike or even mid level. What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well done on the new bike.

Hmmm....... Something doesn't add up here. A working student paying their way through school, plus paying rent, utilities, food, car insurance and all the other fun stuff, can't normally afford a high end bike or even mid level. What am I missing?
    Apparently, you are missing hard work, discipline, planning and a willingness to sacrifice for what you want in life.

R

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice work on the build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EMrider

Apparently, you are missing hard work, discipline, planning and a willingness to sacrifice for what you want in life.

R
    No, I'm not missing that part - it's in his post. But one can still have these fine attributes and yet be a freeloader. In other words, His mama could still be taking care of him by giving him food and shelter.

Heck, I know a few 25 year olds that are still living at home. They have college degrees good jobs and nice cars yet they still leech off of their parents.

To me, being a hard worker is not enough. You also need to be a man and pay your own freight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMrider

R
    And deferred student loans.

Good work on the build. The only thing I would change is the Juicy 5s. I can't stand the Juicy brakes. They work, but a lot of annoying little things about them for me. I'll soon be replacing the set that came on one of my bikes. If you ever decide to replace them, I really like SLX brakes for performance for the money. I've seen them as cheap as $99 per wheel.

Let me know what you think of those Easton Haven wheels. I've read a lot of people having issues with the bearing preload adjuster coming loose and causing play. Some people were having to constantly re-tighten it. It would be interesting to know if they have that problem sorted now. I'm considering getting a pair for my 29er.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbeck
    No, I'm not missing that part - it's in his post. But one can still have these fine attributes and yet be a freeloader. In other words, His mama could still be taking care of him by giving him food and shelter.

Heck, I know a few 25 year olds that are still living at home. They have college degrees good jobs and nice cars yet they still leech off of their parents.

To me, being a hard worker is not enough. You also need to be a man and pay your own freight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks

usually cranky
    really nice ride. and so what if some people still live with their parents? in a lot of countries that is expected.

mtbr member
    thanks for the comments guys-
    as far as my life goes- i live in a college house with 8 other people (have my own room) and pay 300 inclluding everything- which isnt bad- im under my parents insurance because it is a lot cheeper however i do have to pay them monthly for it- renters insurance is the same story. it comes out to around 70 a month totall. when i was 16 i got a job with time warner cable, with in 6 months i was put in a management position with 3-5 people working for me depending on the times- i made a lot and saved a lot there for college- and now im working full time for a major shoe company which makes things a bit easer- its been months since i have gone out to the bars and i dont have enough to take a vacation or a spring break- but i will make it ouit debt free or very close to debt free if i keep saving x amount every month-
    oh, my parents do pay my phone bill- its a 3 year old flip phone with no internet or anything like that- super basic and only because im on a family plan that my dad gets to write off for work-

baeckerx1- i really wanted to go with different brakes as well, but i spent a bit more than i wanted on the build so i decided to put the brakes from my old bike on this and upgrade when i could- they work well but i know what you mean about the annoying things- like the gobble and the leavers being loose and making sounds over rocky sections-

i love the haven wheels however i really have not spend enough time on them to tell you if they are good or not- after two rides i really like them- and they weigh less than my road bike wheels- doing my re-search on them the pre load adjuster was the problem- i believe its been solved but i will find out- i also read that easton in most cases takes care of the wheel if that happens-

mtbr member
    Very nice bikes you and your GF have got, now thrash it (er, the bike that is)!

What am I missing?
    Self discipline, apparently.

I managed being a student, paying my way and having a nice bike(s). Having a job helps, not having a drink or drugs habit helps even more...

Blue Pig

What are YOU at?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by saxen
    when i was 16 i got a job with time warner cable, with in 6 months i was put in a management position with 3-5 people working for me depending on the times- i made a lot and saved a lot there for college-
    That's too funny. It's close to my story. At 17 I was working nights as a janitor in a big AT&T building. After 6 months I was asked to be a supervisor of about 20 people I had to turn it down because I was almost finished with Vo-tech and had a job lined up as an auto mechanic. Besides, the job required me to wear a jacket and tie. I was living on my own at this time. I shared a rental house with two other guys. They were party animals. I was the responsible one. Don't know how I did it,but I saved up enough money to buy a new Toyota pick-up truck. I was not interested in biking at this time-just surviving and partying.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    Very nice bikes you and your GF have got, now thrash it (er, the bike that is)!

I managed being a student, paying my way and having a nice bike(s).

mtbr member
    That nice. I am building one similar. Blur LT, haven wheels, rock shox revelation 150mm. It should be fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBowles
    That is a really nice build. It is good to see that there are some young people in our country that still believe in hard work to attain their goals.
    This is kind of an inflammatory comment. Not every child in this country is a member of the leisure class.

mtbr member
    Love the bike man. Keep doing what you're doing, it's working.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What are YOU at?

Looks like I hit a nerve. Sorry. You still living home with mama?

Blue Pig
    Looks like I hit a nerve. Sorry. You still living home with mama?
    No. Sorry. I figured you were jealous of those few 25 year old's.

mtbr member
    Nice bike! How do you like the Haven bars?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    I'm 24, just graduated grad school in December. And I'm still living at home.

What's with the American mentality of moving out ASAP?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    No. Sorry. I figured you were jealous of those few 25 year old's.

It's just that I look down upon people that take advantage of others just because they can. It casts a dark shadow upon all of their achievements - makes them trivial, at least to me.

On the other hand, I simply adore people who unselfishly teach and help others. Regardless of financial or educational achievements. It's why we're here. We (myself included) just let too many other so called "important" things get in the way.

But WTF do I know?

I don't know much, but I sure as hell know better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast