Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Is my frame cracked? Seeking opinions - pic inside.

My bicycle is a '12 575 purchased and ridden since July of 2012. Attached is a photo of something I noticed on my frame today. I took it to an authorized dealer, and the service tech informed me that it is his opinion that this is a "crack/scratch in the clearcoat", and not in the frame. When I asked him why, he gave a few reasons:

-Color of the crack relative to the frame. Although it is hard to see here, it looks whitish when you look at it. It would seem if it was a crack, there would be empty space so it would either appear flush against the black of the frame, or filled with dirt.

-Non-irregular pattern of the line. The path of the line is more consistent with the trajectory of a rock or something hard lodging and then dislodging itself from the rear wheel, and slamming into that location.

For what it is worth, I had noticed a superficial scratch in that spot a few months ago. Could it be this scratch has merely gotten bigger on the clear coat due to micro-stresses, and is just superficial?

Titanium junkie
    That to me looks like a crack, get it checked by another shop.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I think the service tech is smoking crack. That looks like a real genuine crack to me.

mtbr member
    Looks like a crack to me as well. As mentioned, take it to a different shop or talk with the manager when the other guy isn't around to influence him.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re: Is my frame cracked? Seeking opinions - pic inside.

Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I think the service tech is smoking crack. That looks like a real genuine crack to me.
    That tech obviously isn't smoking crack because he can't even recognize a crack when he sees one!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Why does it look white, if it is indeed a crack?

human dehumidifier
    ^ aluminum is white if it's not polished to shine
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Where on the frame is it? It looks like a high stress tube junction. Not a coincidence. That hole in the frame right there also concentrates stress in that area. Not a coincidence.

Clearcoat is clear, so a scratch in clearcoat wouldn't change the color. It's white because the crack exposed the white underneath the surface layer. You mentioned it might also be dirt. You had a crack evaluated without even cleaning the dirt away?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You want to be sure, scrape away the paint. But, for what it's worth, it looks like a crack and will probably keep propagating along the weld.

Maybe you should just contact Yeti directly if the LBS is giving you the runaround.

mtbr member

I'm not sure why there's debate over the colour of the crack to determine if its the paint/clear coat or not? In my mind, if the frame is cracked then so is the paint/clear coat.

My suggestion would be to clean out the hole and look inside with a light. If you can see it inside the hole, she's cracked.

If it's too hard to see inside you could either keep riding and see if it gets bigger (making it easier to tell if its a crack or not) or if you're worried about safety and don't want to ride it without being sure, scratch away the paint/clear coat (sounds drastic but would be the only way to know for sure if you can't see inside the hole)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Paint in a spot like that isn't going to crack without the material that the paint is adhered to cracking with it

mtbr member
    I would ask the bike shop to scrape away the paint, just to avoid any bickering about the warranty down the road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    I'm not sure why there's debate over the colour of the crack to determine if its the paint/clear coat or not? In my mind, if the frame is cracked then so is the paint/clear coat.

My suggestion would be to clean out the hole and look inside with a light. If you can see it inside the hole, she's cracked.

If it's too hard to see inside you could either keep riding and see if it gets bigger (making it easier to tell if its a crack or not) or if you're worried about safety and don't want to ride it without being sure, scratch away the paint/clear coat (sounds drastic but would be the only way to know for sure if you can't see inside the hole)
    The idea is that maybe the coat is cracked but not vica versa. I just took a toothbrush to the spot and it just seems white. I have the length marked and will continue to ride. What is peculiar to me is I noticed a superficial scratch im that exact spot 6+ months ago. Hopefully it will appear bigger before a catastrophic failure. Hopefully, I can squeeze out a couple more weeks of riding and send it in to Yeti once school starts. I'd much rather be off my bike during the semester than summer.

mtbr member
    Fluorescent penetrant inspection will determine whether or not it is a crack or a scratch.

I can do it for you if you are near by.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    Fluorescent penetrant inspection will determine whether or not it is a crack or a scratch.

I can do it for you if you are near by.
    Would you happen to be located in the DC Metro area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kayman121 View Post
    Would you happen to be located in the DC Metro area?
    Granite Bay,California.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just sanded the coat down to the aluminum at that joint. As I sanded the coat down, the mark became less and less visible. It went from a white streak to a black scratch. As I got down the bare aluminum, I could not see a crack in the alu, even with a magnifying glass. Hopefully it was just a coat issue, but I will continue to keep an eye on it. Now that I have some bare alu close to the hole where it would originate, I should have a nice view of any crack developing further down the road.

mtbr member
    Would probably be hard to see the crack in the bare alu. If it's a crack i'd assume it would be warranty covered since it stems from that hole.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My bicycle is a '12 575 purchased and ridden since July of 2012. Attached is a photo of something I noticed on my frame today. I took it to an authorized dealer, and the service tech informed me that it is his opinion that this is a "crack/scratch in the clearcoat", and not in the frame. When I asked him why, he gave a few reasons:

-Color of the crack relative to the frame. Although it is hard to see here, it looks whitish when you look at it. It would seem if it was a crack, there would be empty space so it would either appear flush against the black of the frame, or filled with dirt.

-Non-irregular pattern of the line. The path of the line is more consistent with the trajectory of a rock or something hard lodging and then dislodging itself from the rear wheel, and slamming into that location.

For what it is worth, I had noticed a superficial scratch in that spot a few months ago. Could it be this scratch has merely gotten bigger on the clear coat due to micro-stresses, and is just superficial?
    Looks like it is cracked

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    looks like a crack to me. the sanding you did may have blended the surface and disguised the crack. ride it, get it dirty, check to see if the crack exposes itself. or take it to a local welding shop and have them check it with the Fluorescent penetrant like Tripower mentioned
    Juice

mtbr member
    Why not just assume its cracked? If your not sure just err on the side of caution.

Or do what the shop said. Deny its a crack till your warrenty is gone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Why not just assume its cracked? If your not sure just err on the side of caution.

Or do what the shop said. Deny its a crack till your warrenty is gone.
    My shop never said that. Matt at yeti said if I have a hard time seeing a crack with a magnifying glass on bare metal, it most likely is fine. My warranty is still okay for another year so I have plenty of time to take care of a problem should one arise. If it is a crack, I hope to squeeze out a couple months of nice weather riding out of it before its too large to ignore or mistake for a scratch.

mtbr member
    My shop never said that. Matt at yeti said if I have a hard time seeing a crack with a magnifying glass on bare metal, it most likely is fine. My warranty is still okay for another year so I have plenty of time to take care of a problem should one arise. If it is a crack, I hope to squeeze out a couple months of nice weather riding out of it before its too large to ignore or mistake for a scratch.
    Well its easy.to.see from a.photo. no mag glass needed.

No big deal if it.grows. replace it.

Where on the bike is it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's on the swingarm of the rear triangle. The photo exaggerates the depth and makes it look a bit more serious than it actually does. Perhaps I'll throw up another pic sometime of the bare alu. I'm keeping an eye on it for sure. Matt at yeti assured me that if it is cracked, given the location it should get noticeably larger before a total failure. Let's hope that's the case, haha.

Weapon of Choice
    Matt at yeti assured me that if it is cracked, given the location it should get noticeably larger before a total failure. Let's hope that's the case, haha.[/QUOTE]

That should put your mind at rest as you huck off a 3-4 foot drop!

Super Unknown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast