mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Are my FOX forks FAKE?! I need a pro eye!

OK pros! I need your combined knowledge here. I bought a Trek 4300 here in Thailand where I live. I paid a bundle extra to put on, what I was TOLD, were FOX forks/shocks. I looked up every picture of FOX shocks I could, and can't find a picture that matches, due to 2 extra blue capped things that stick out the front of the shocks.

I am new, this is my first MB, so I don't know what's up, but I want to know if I was ripped off, because I haven't ridden it yet much and might be able to go back.

Please let me know if you can identify these supposedly FOX forks. (maybe they're just a really old model?!)

The left sticker says "32 Series". The right sticker says, "FOX racing shox", the sticker on the arch says "F Series", and a small translucent sticker on the back of one side says, Damper Open Bath then below, Model RL (of course, the point is, these are all stickers, so could be put on anything...)

I searched for all of these things, and couldn't come up with one picture where the shocks had those blue capped things sticking out the front.

Thanks!!

-George
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are my FOX forks FAKE?!  I need a pro eye!-fox-forks-2.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    wow, that was quick! I searched for an hour looking for a pic like this. So what are those things that are sticking out? What is their function? Thanks!

mtbr member
    V brake bosses

Mudder
    Yeah I don't think that's a real fox fork because I didn't know that more current fox forks had v-brake bosses. I'm not 100% sure though.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by casabourassa
    wow, that was quick! I searched for an hour looking for a pic like this. So what are those things that are sticking out? What is their function? Thanks!

The blue caps cover the brake bosses to prevent them from getting dirty or damaged. They're removable.

Quote Originally Posted by slalomnorth65
    Yeah I don't think that's a real fox fork because I didn't know that more current fox forks had v-brake bosses. I'm not 100% sure though.
    Actually, many of the F series of Fox forks can be purchased with canti/v-brake bosses, including recent models (like a 2006 I used to have.)

OP, the fork looks legit to me. Fox F100 RL with canti bosses and blue boss caps. It's not the most recent model, but still nice.

mtbr member
    The graphics are 2011 style, so if this is not a recent model there must be something fishy. I guess there could be a slight possibilty that Fox offer current models in certain markets with these v brake bosses.

mtbr member
    Looks legit to me, if youre super concerned measure the stancion diameter, and best is to pull the damper.
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeth
    The graphics are 2011 style, so if this is not a recent model there must be something fishy. I guess there could be a slight possibilty that Fox offer current models in certain markets with these v brake bosses.
    Do 2011 F-Series forks normally have Kashima coating on the stanchions? These don't look to have it - perhaps these are OEM from another bike. Could explain the v-brake bosses as well I suppose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Check for a serial number and email it and the picture to Fox for a definitive answer. I know of instances in which people have done this to confirm/deny features of OEM models.

altazo
    Quote Originally Posted by retro83
    Do 2011 F-Series forks normally have Kashima coating on the stanchions? These don't look to have it - perhaps these are OEM from another bike. Could explain the v-brake bosses as well I suppose.
    No Kashima on 2011 open bath forks, FIT only. And no Kashima on 2010 forks at all.

I think you can still get Fox lowers with brake bosses, but it may be a special order?

should know better.....
    Those look like 32 RL's to me. The castings on the crown look right, as does the spacer under the top cap on the right leg. You should be able to pull the cantilever bosses of with a wrench. There should be flat spots close in to the lowers that you can fit a wrench on.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    It's definitely a Fox, no doubt about that. Looks relatively new as well.

mtbr member
    it looks real to me. OEM products sometimes have different colors and configurations that are made for the bike company putting their components on their bikes. as someone said, the posts are for v-brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thank you everyone very much for your input. I feel confident that they are OK now. I am in Thailand, so it may be that they make some slightly different models for asia that are a bit cheaper, like these OEM parts you speak of.

All in all, they seem to work great and they are guaranteed by the shop, so it should be all good. I just wanted to know if I was being blatantly fooled and bamboozled, but it looks like that's probably not the case.

Excellent forum. Again, thank you all for the help.

Happy Trails.

mtbr member
    the knobs look to be from older Fox forks based on the shape and height , circa 2004?
    Looks like newer decals are slapped on though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    they are definitely fake. send em to me and ill be happy to dispose of em properly.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Those are real, Fox still offers V-brake studs for OEM models, even to this day.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den
    the knobs look to be from older Fox forks based on the shape and height , circa 2004?
    Looks like newer decals are slapped on though.
    I thought the same thing. Looks like someone took a pre 06/07 f100 and tossed new stickers on and sold it as new.

Would explain the knobs and the v bosses.

could be wrong though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ^ pre 07 Fox forks crowns aren't grooved like that of those in the pictures.

Dropshot Champ!
    07 was tho

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Right, "pre" as in anything before 07.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Isn't that the 2011 graphics style? And in 2011 I know a lot of Fox forks went to rebound adjustment on the bottom of the right and had the lockout threshold adjust in black on top of the fork.

If that isn't exclusively the 2011 style or they didn't switch the location of the rebound on all their forks please disregard.
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Those graphics appeared for the 2010 forks.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread