mtbr member

My first (and hopefully last) "what frame to get" thread.

Hello all. As the title reads, I am in the market for a new AM frame. I have done the research, know the numbers etc., just looking for some more hands-on critiques of the frames I've narrowed it down to.

Rider Stats: 215lbs geared up, 6ft flat. Frame will be ridden hard (but always maintained), hopefully all over the country if the next summer pans out properly.
    Budget: ~$1800 (Always going to want a Mojo HD, but it is a bit too much right now)

Narrowed it down to:
    '11 Santa Cruz Nomad MkII
    '11 Intense Tracer 2
    '11 Yeti 575 (not a huge fan of the carbon stays, but I am assuming they are good to go on the '11)
    '11 Banshee Spitfire
    '11 Spec. Enduro

I am open to ideas and welcome persuasive pictures. I've always bought my stuff used and it is time for something new and sexy.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2009
    think its going to be hard to beat the 011 Canfield ONE...but a few hundred more than your budget if previous versions are any indication.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/news...esting-the-one
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

perpetual pucker factor
    From your list: Nomad all the way. Lighter and stronger than most bikes in its class, and full on floating pivot point rear suspension. Buttah that still climbs like a champ.

For a bike not on your list, I might check out the Giant Reign X. I really like that bike a lot. Climbs very very well, can be built up quite light, and is much cheaper than many frames out there. Most Specs and Treks are made by Giant at their Taiwan factory, so Giant knows a thing or two about framebuilding. Oh, and I almost forgot: Lifetime frame warranty.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    New and sexy? I think that banshee's are pretty damned sexy.

FWIW, and I know its not on your list, and I doubt that it would be, I'm riding a wildcard now for my all mountain/freeride rig, took it on some xc the other day and its pretty damned fun, might consider the Rune as well.

But, you've got a pretty good list, I'd just consider keeping it at ~150mm of travel for a good all rounder.
    Just another redneck with a bike

usually cranky
    seems like a funny list to me. you have some more burly am rides and some more trail-ish rides. not really sure what exactly your looking for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a nomad and would not trade it for a do everything bike. They are easy to maintain and take a ton of punishment. I personally would go for the Nomad C now but that is just me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't think you can say any one of your choices is "better" than the other. There are certainly differences, but it's really a personal thing. To the extent you can try before you buy, that would be the best. My advice would be to focus on the comments on here about how each one in particular rides or handles, not on whether one is better than the other. Pick the one that the comments seem to best reflect what you are looking for in a bike. I can't speak to those particular models because I don't have much time on each of them. I have ridden a Nomad, which is a pretty much unstoppable do most everything AM bike. But the intense should be very similar with only minor differences in fit and handling. Banshee's have great reputations, but I have no experience. The 575 is much more of a trail bike and would be the best choice if you were focused more on trail riding (not to say it won't take some serious AM abuse, but its not designed for it quite as much as the others).

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup
    think its going to be hard to beat the 011 Canfield ONE...but a few hundred more than your budget if previous versions are any indication.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/news...esting-the-one
    because a 64-66 degree hta and 8.5-9.0lb frame just scream all mountain?

Interesting.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=edray]Hello all. As the title reads, I am in the market for a new AM frame. I have done the research, know the numbers etc., just looking for some more hands-on critiques of the frames I've narrowed it down to.

Rider Stats: 215lbs geared up, 6ft flat. Frame will be ridden hard (but always maintained), hopefully all over the country if the next summer pans out properly.
    Budget: ~$1800 (Always going to want a Mojo HD, but it is a bit too much right now)

Narrowed it down to:
    '11 Santa Cruz Nomad MkII
    '11 Intense Tracer 2
    '11 Yeti 575 (not a huge fan of the carbon stays, but I am assuming they are good to go on the '11)
    '11 Banshee Spitfire
    '11 Spec. Enduro"

Defintitely throw the Banshee Rune in there for a "true" AM bike. I would take it over anybike you got listed there and for $1500/frame that comes with an extra hardware/pivot kit, sweet seatpost and collar made specifically for the frame, that's hard to beat It will pedal as well as anything on there and be a laterally stiffer ride than anything on there as well. Although, the Spitfire is slack and low for what it is, more of an aggro XC/trail bike, IMO. You can pretty much climb anything with the Rune and descend just about anything with no hesitation, accept for maybe the steepest of steeps (true DH terrain) and if that is the case, just throw in the angleset reducer cups and wah-lah, mini-DH you've got. Oh, I ride the Rune on all the local XC/trails as well with no probs at all.

And, I am about same specs as you, 220lbs. all geared, 5'11" w/34-35" inseam and the large Rune fits perfect for both climbing and descent.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    1st Place: Nomad
    2nd Place: Enduro
    3rd Place: 575

Giant Reign X is tied up with the Nomad in first place, retails for $1450 and has a lifetime warranty. I'm in the same boat and I'm having a really hard time pulling the trigger on the Nomad just based on the value of the Reign X.

Graeson

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help guys. I was and still am leaning a bit towards the Nomad. I am aware that a few, mainly the Spitfire and 575 are more on the xc/am side of it, but I have heard nothing but good things. The Rune and Reign X are definitely considerations. Saving money is always pretty crucial too. So: scratching the 575/spitfire off the list. Adding Rune/Reign X - but have to look into each more. Once it is narrowed down Ill definitely try to find dealers nearby and throw a leg over each. Thanks for the help..
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There's Knolly Endorphin frames on sale over at Calgery Cycles website for $1499.99

http://www.calgarycycleonline.com/home.php?cat=812
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie
    There's Knolly Endorphin frames on sale over at Calgery Cycles website for $1499.99

http://www.calgarycycleonline.com/home.php?cat=812

that's a sweet deal for an endo, but i would still lean towards the rune. i had an endo and now have a rune and spitfire. the rune's 1.5 headtube is a huge advantage. i have 1.5 degree works cups in mine. i use it for everything from am?xc to resort riding. an angleset would do the same thing. i like being able to play with the geometry without having to resort to a longer fork which changes bb height and seat tube.

the spitfire is a superfun bike as well but imho not a true one bike only ride. the rune is imo. great bike, pedals well. as well as a vpp bike and descends great. great cs and price too.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    follow the trend- every year travel tends to go up for all classes of bike..wasnt too long ago 6" was DH stuff. Since the ONE climbs well, the DH numbers dont apply in the conventional sense. I run a 6" Pitch and want/need more travel...the ONE can be built any where from 6" to 8" travel so with a bit of work it can be anything from light AM to near full on DH.

as to the weight- with an airshock the bike can be built at 30 pounds...

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    because a 64-66 degree hta and 8.5-9.0lb frame just scream all mountain?

Interesting.

Dropshot Champ!
    follow the trend- every year travel tends to go up for all classes of bike..wasnt too long ago 6" was DH stuff. Since the ONE climbs well, the DH numbers dont apply in the conventional sense. I run a 6" Pitch and want/need more travel...the ONE can be built any where from 6" to 8" travel so with a bit of work it can be anything from light AM to near full on DH.

as to the weight- with an airshock the bike can be built at 30 pounds...

yes on the old ONE, which they're sold out of.

Not on the new one.

You aren't climbing anything xc or steep at all with a totem and a 64hta. You might wheelie up it tho.

mtbr member
    yes on the old ONE, which they're sold out of.

Not on the new one.

You aren't climbing anything xc or steep at all with a totem and a 64hta. You might wheelie up it tho.

Why? You can do a 1.5 angleset on it- with a Fox 36 Talas. and be running around 68 on the climbs and 66.5 on the downs, with a match 6.5" front and rear.

At 215 lbs, our frame setup will hold up to whatever you'll throw at it for years.

Plus- your not limited to just a AM setup. Do a fork and wheel swap and your rocking a DH ready race rig.

-Did I mention we call this bike the "ONE"

C2

perpetual pucker factor
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared
    You can do a 1.5 angleset on it- with a Fox 36 Talas. and be running around 68 on the climbs and 66.5 on the downs

Agreed, the One is a pretty sweet machine. But the angleset can't be switched around instantly though. I mean, you'd have to climb up with a 68-degree HA, get out the tools, wrench way, flip the angleset around, reassemble, then ride down with the 66.5, right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos
    Agreed, the One is a pretty sweet machine. But the angleset can't be switched around instantly though. I mean, you'd have to climb up with a 68-degree HA, get out the tools, wrench way, flip the angleset around, reassemble, then ride down with the 66.5, right?

he said with a "talas" on it. they can be switched in travel with no tools

mtbr member
    [My two cents -

'11 Santa Cruz Nomad MkII - One of the two I'd go for.

'11 Intense Tracer 2 - Same suspension as the Nomad, but I don't trust Intense's quality control.

'11 Yeti 575 = Less burly than the others here, it's more trail bike than all mountain, maybe that's a good thing from your POV, but not mine

'11 Banshee Spitfire - Dunno if they've changed for 2011, but the bushing system on previous Banshees was weak - the UK distributor warned me off buying one.

'11 Spec. Enduro - The other one I'd be after.

[/QUOTE]

I'd be leaning towards the Nomad, but they'd be the two I'd try to demo.

perpetual pucker factor
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    he said with a "talas" on it. they can be switched in travel with no tools
    ahhhhh!!!! Sorry, I missed that detail. I thought he was saying you could switch out the angleset mid-ride. That wouldn't be any fun at all. Ok, adjustable travel. That makes perfect sense. Thanks

mtbr member
    anything steeper than 66 is a roadbike anyway

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared
    Why? You can do a 1.5 angleset on it- with a Fox 36 Talas. and be running around 68 on the climbs and 66.5 on the downs, with a match 6.5" front and rear.

At 215 lbs, our frame setup will hold up to whatever you'll throw at it for years.

Plus- your not limited to just a AM setup. Do a fork and wheel swap and your rocking a DH ready race rig.

-Did I mention we call this bike the "ONE"

C2
    are you guys really building these up sub 30lbs with the weight increase on the frame? new one is ~9lbs for the frame right?

IMO the old ONE was more xc-am-gnar doitall, this new one is definitely a burly beast.

biking is fun
    The new canfield One sure looks impressive. Its going to be really hard not to pick one up next season. Im riding a knolly delirium right now and its crazy fun but a little heavy and most people here seem to be freaking out about a 9lb frame so im guessing the delirium is definately out of the picture.

Another one that would be perfect would be the new knolly chilcotin.

I have owned both a nomad 2 and a spitfire. totally different bikes. If you are doing more XC style trails then go for the spitfire. If your doing a bit more DH then go with the nomad.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The new ONE frame is one pound heavier than the original ONE....so 29-30 pounds is doable but it probably will be more light AM than gnarl master at that weight. To fully utilize the frames potential I think 32-33 pounds would be cost effective

are you guys really building these up sub 30lbs with the weight increase on the frame? new one is ~9lbs for the frame right?

IMO the old ONE was more xc-am-gnar doitall, this new one is definitely a burly beast.

biking is fun
    The new ONE frame is one pound heavier than the original ONE....so 29-30 pounds is doable but it probably will be more light AM than gnarl master at that weight. To fully utilize the frames potential I think 32-33 pounds would be cost effective

I guess it all comes down to a persons defintion of what AM is. I consider a bike thats between 32-36lb to be all mountain. It needs to pedal up well and be able to handle all but the hardest DH. Also be able to hit a decent size gap on the way down. it seems like bike companies are calling the sub 30lb bikes "trail" bikes now. (don't want to start a category arguement though)

So whether or not the new Canfield One will be a satisfactory AM bike will come down to the individual user. In this case the OP and at his size and weight a really light frame may not be the right one for him.