Thread: My decision

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

My decision

I've been living in NYC and renting bikes when I get a chance to take trips for the last few years. I recently moved to NH and have loads of great trails near me, and 5 mountains with lift service within 2 hours. It's really a great place to ride with a variety of trails. Mostly I like riding up to ride down, I've been eyeballing some local ski centers that close in the summers, that kind of thing. My top 4 options are:

Specialized enduro 29, all the beef I could ever need and more, but maybe not as pedal-able as some of the others:
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Stump EVO 29 more pedal-able I have heard, and it comes with the dropper post, so one less upgrade, both specialized bikes also come with great wheels

Scott Genius 940, looks fantastic except we're losing a significant amount of squishy suspension here...
    SCOTT Genius 940 Bike - SCOTT Sports

Scott Genius 740 interesting option, I'm sort of undecided on 275 as I havent ridden many, but seems like a great ride, and again the twinloc seems really handy.
    SCOTT Genius 740 Bike - SCOTT Sports

Debate, advise, hate, go!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

My decision

I love my enduro with 26 inch wheels. Sure it makes you work a little harder going up hill but more than makes up for it on the way down. I was in a similar debate between stumpy an enduro and am glad I chose the enduro.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I do think the Enduro will be the best on the way down, but I'm definitely going 29er. Its a bummer that scott has much worse components with their bikes, that twinloc would be really useful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brills View Post
    Stump EVO 29 more pedal-able I have heard, and it comes with the dropper post, so one less upgrade, both specialized bikes also come with great wheels
    My vote goes to the Stump EVO. I tested it last week and I have nothing bad to say about it. Great bike for what you need...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would ride more bikes with 27.5 wheels, I think they are the future and really do live up to over used "best of both worlds" term.

mtbr member
    You should ride some 650b's as Jeff said. Personally I would only get a 29'r for racing.
    Have not rode the Spesh but hear it's a sweet bike. Scott seems to not get very glowing ride reviews. For that kinda money I'd be looking at the Pivot great riding up or down supposedly.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm really leaning Enduro over stumpy. I will probably be doing 60/40 trails vs mountain/lift riding, but I'll pedal the extra 2 pounds for that extra suspension

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    go for the enduro, the extra cush and geometry on the way down definitely make up for any sort of penalty you might feel on the way up.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Where are you in NH?