mtbr member
    Aug 2011

My Customized Build, From The Ground Up (Give me your input)

Alright guys, so Im new to the game of mountain bikes, but not to biking,

Im 22 and have ridden my whole like, usually just casual street stuff though..

I recently parted with my baby a 01 929RR to help catch up on bills and such, so I needed a new toy to play with...

A buddy of mine just picked up two brand new specialized bikes for him and his wife..

So he was kind enough to give me his old hardrock

Like i said im very new to the game, so I didnt need the most expensive parts in the world, and ontop of that Ive made a lot of hook ups in the motorcycle community, so I really wanted to do something "different" that most of the bikes ive seen, and try to keep it budget friendly, i build this bike for less than $150 bucks

so let the fun begin

when i picked it up the bike was a complete bike, but had been sitting unused for 3 years...

so i stripped it down to this

after looking at the parts i had i was able to determine i NEEDED new pedals/cassette/derailleur/grips/chain/cables/seat

i also wanted to do something different with the colors... so i got ahold of a buddy of mine that owed me a favor for pc, had him do the frame and bars a satin black...

also got ahold of another friend who is just a nice guy, and he did my crank/kneck/and seat post a semi-gloss black pc.... (still havent gotten the parts back from him)

anway, stripped it to the frame and sent it off

2 days later, got her back

stripped the forks a few days ago, and got them prepped and sprayed last night

Ive also had all my brakes/bearing/adjusters sitting in pb blaster for the past 2 days, gonna get them out here tonight,and clean them up, and dry them off good...

here are the parts i ordered, like i said, nothing top of the line or anything, just stuff thats not from walmart, and i knew would work for now lol, in all honesty not bad for $100 bucks

and here is the bike as she sits right now...

hoping to have her 95% done by the end of the weekend (as i ordered most of my parts monday, and they should be arriving today)... so look forward to more pics...

but please let me know what you think so far..

thx guy,
    Zac

r00
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's not my cup of tea, but that's pretty cool. Digging the flat black, looks well done.