Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    just ride
    Oct 2006

Is my bike XC or AM?

newbie...I did search but having a headache already. What is my bike anyways, XC or AM?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    what bike?

s62
    mtbr member
    lolol... you have ot tell us what bike, specs, etc.

"Its All Good"
    Sheesh bro, we cannot read your mind yet....... Maka me laugh though
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

fuggansonofahowa
    depends how you ride it....

Does it have a kickstand? a sissy-bar? a banana seat?

If you answered "yes" to any of those questions....it's neither (FTR = freshly tarred road).

Calm Like a Bomb
    according to his profile

Bike Setup:
    It's just a stock built 93-95 TREK single track 930
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    the trek 930 is definitely an XC machine.... sweet frame to ride BTW

mtbr member
    definitely XC

large member
    Huck it and report back.

I already rode that
    If you ride up and down hills with it and on a trail no less its both.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

El Pollo Diablo
    that bike is much closer to the gravel path side of XC than the AM side.
    :P

ride hard take risks
    Definitely PM's those night howlers are killa!!!
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

just ride
    Oct 2006
    O **** my bad! I have the Gary Fisher tassajara w/ V-brakes.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay
    Gary Fisher tassajara w/ V-brakes.
    It is a bike.
    It is not a DH bike so take it easy when the rocky descents get steep.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    XC but who cares (besides you)!

this account retired
    by today's standards, a big chunk of people ride 5/6" travel bikes yet do nothing but XC at most as far as I am concerned....good for them, so long as they are having fun........having said that, because of this, in my opinion, most people think their actual XC riding at best is actually AM riding (ie, average rider skill has gone down...not that I am a great rider).

And actually, if this is the case, then perhaps XC riding of past does equal current AM riding.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    XC but who cares (besides you)!

I see all this thread about xc,dh, am, etc... just curious to know. Thanks anyways d i c k !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, learn to search and read before wasting bandwidth here. Thanks for not asking ridiculous and childish questions in the future, especially when not mentioning what bike you have.

Also, try to confine yourself in the What Bike to Buy forum. I'm sure that is where you're headed next. You will be in great company there

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Part Deux
    then perhaps XC riding of past does equal current AM riding.
    IMO XC is just the same as AM the only difference is AM is more a marketing term to sell more bikes/parts. More for also the average rider as most getting into the sport dont know if they want to race or just have fun. Also cause some xc weenies didnt want to be associated with xc racers cause they despised lycra or something like that.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay fine- you're prob a real young un so I'll not get all personal on you but the classifications will blend into each other as will riders.

XC- 70-73 degree HA, HT to 4" travel lighter bikes that see no/few drops. Most riders ride smooth trails and rough ones but ride them smoothly with little air and no drops over a foot. Genrally bikes are under 30 lbs.

AM- 4"-6.5" bikes with a HA of 67.5-69ish. Most riders will hit rocky stuff fast and do drops as needed. Generally, bikes are from 27-35 lbs or so. Any more than 35 lbs and you are probably building up more of a Freeride bike but this happens. This Fo fella tends to build up 37 lb XC bikes and then berates those who do not follow him. Nice guy though he does have a fetish for things white.

You can ride a twitchy XC bike in an AM fashion and the other way around but AL riding means hard and fast riding with drops upto 3"

Any more and, in my opinion, you are wandering into Freeride territory. Your bike is pure XC though you can do AM stuff with it. Be careful- it will be much easier to endo on that GF Tass. It prob has a 71 degreee HA and obviously no rear travel.

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    This Fo fella tends to build up 37 lb XC bikes and then berates those who do not follow him. Nice guy though he does have a fetish for things white.
    how dare you.....after putting new tires on it is down to 36 lbs....37 is just crazy talk. having said that, it rides killer.....have no problem doing typical somewhat long XC rides. If you are in decent shape (ie, not a typical phat-asss homer) there is nothing wrong with using a mid 30s bike for all day riding.....nothing at all. Having said that I also have a 19 lb MTB which is fun too.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb
    IMO XC is just the same as AM the only difference is AM is more a marketing term to sell more bikes/parts.
    I couldn't disagree more. If you feel they are the same, I think that says more about your riding style, bike build & local trails than the potential of the frames themselves.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    I couldn't disagree more. If you feel they are the same, I think that says more about your riding style, bike build & local trails than the potential of the frames themselves.
    though at the end of the day its irrelevant........

curb drops for one may be considered (by the curb dropper) as AM riding....its as silly as a midwest singlespeeder telling me what gearing they recommend when I live in CA and do more elevation gain in one climb than they do on their whole ride.....

pretty aggro riding might be considered FR/light FR by some is simply AM riding by others' standards (eg, Noel from Knolly Bikes a la Delerium T being an AM bike for the BC area).

etc...etc....etc...

i simply say if you ride such that you need 6" travel with a burly frame, then get a 6" travel burly frame....if you are fast as hell and live for the climb, get a light short travel FS or hardtail......whatever......or, if you are using your hard earned money and really like that cool 6" lightweight poseur bike, then more power to you....its your money and so long as you use the bike who friggin cares

Motion activated
    No argument there FO, and that's why I don't understand sweeping statements like SuperNewb's. Now if he prefixed his statement with "Round these here parts"...
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That statement was put there to elicit a response. Fo, you rarely take the bait. You're slipping

I tend to agree. It's all about what you like doing and what your terrain is like. It's about what your bike can safely handle and what you can safely handle.

Don't get caught up on the XC-AM thing. AM is just another word for hardcore XC. Ride, build your skills, and then decide if you need to build your bike up heavier or get another bike that can safely handle your riding style and trails.

Collecting bikes is fun, even blinding white ones. I'm happy to just pedal along looking at wildflowers and clouds. Sometimes, what matters is how cool you look at the trailhead, right Fo?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast