Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

My bike/parts do not suck!

I've noticed something about this site -- according to a good number of posters on this board, every product out there seems to suck.

Carbon frames suck. Such and such forks suck (Rock Shox, Fox, name it -- it sucks). These brakes suck, those brakes suck. Avid break shoes suck. This adjustable seat posts suck, that one sucks.

There is a horror story about EVERYTHING. And I guess I'm not saying that they're all without validity, but when you get enough people together who spend a lot of time and money on bikes, there are going to be problems here and there.

But I think I'd never buy ANYTHING if I listened to every horror story about every part/bike ever reviewed/critiqued/commented on on this site. It can't possibly all suck.

So in an effort to spin some positivity, I'm going to list everything about my bike that does not suck. In fact, overall, it's a high-end, quality bike with superior performance, and I am thrilled with the purchase. There have been no issues beyond normal wear and tear.

This is not an effort to promote and bike or brand. It's possible that any combination of bikes and brands will probably also not suck.

I ride 4-6 times a week in Colorado. I go out for 1-2 hours at a time. I ride trails that are slightly more technical than most. We have lots of rocks and loose gravel. I will do 2-3 foot drops, but I do not huck off cliffs. I have ridden this bike on the black and the easier double black trails at Keystone Bike Park.

Bike: 2010 Specialized Enduro Comp, all stock except I added XT cranks and shifters. I just prefer the push-pull action of Shimano over the push-push action of SRAM. I also added a reverb seat post. The bike does not suck. It rules.

The stem is great.

The handlebars are great -- plus I like the white color, which is sold as OE only.

The Lyrik forks are great.

The avid elixer breaks are great. No squeaky noise, except when wet.

XT cranks have been great.

XT pedals -- very satisfied.

XT rear derailleur -- awesome.

XT shifters --- awesome

Stock wheelset -- great for me.

Rear shock (modified Fox float for enduro) -- super.

Eskar Control Tires -- also great.

Quick release seat post clamp -- holds the seat where I need it.

Saddle -- plenty comfy.

Chain guide -- I like it. Thumbs up.

Reverb -- I haven't had it long, but so far, so good.

This is not to say there aren't better parts out there -- something lighter, maybe a little more functional. This is not to say that I never have to perform routine maintenance, but so far this has been an awesome, trouble-free bike. (And it's at the bottom of the Enduro product line). I would recommend to anybody.

If you, too, have a bike that does not suck, please feel free to comment below.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by The R View Post
    The avid elixer breaks are great. No squeaky noise, except when wet.
    I hate Avid brakes.

mtbr member
    That's not true...see those threads where ppl post their bikes and you'll see a lot of love stories...

Edit: I absolutely love my BLTc! Is it perfect, far from it. But I'll tell ya, if I can find a chic w/ as much going for her as my bike has going for it, I'd marry her biatch-azz!

Edit edit: and to further anthropomorphize a bike, my '11 Jedi would be like one of those "dangerous" girls you just can't stay away from or get enough of. If you're on your game and pay attention when you're around her, she'll reward you w/ a most amazing experience! And, the positive feedback of your ability and her DH prowess would result in a other-worldly run But, if you let your attention slip or treat her w/o the respect she demands, she'll throw you an ass-beating of the century! Yeah, she's unforgiving as hell that way!
    Last edited by Pau11y; 08-09-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

usually cranky
    well said, generally people will only say something when something breaks and they are pissed about it. not many people come on here and say' "i have x bike and it is perfectly mediocre".

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I hate Avid brakes.
    I've had the exact opposite experience with Avid. Hope you find something that works.

Oh, and I should mention I've had the bike for more than a year, so I've put it through the paces.

mtbr member
    It sucks that you have to make a post like that - but your right. I love my bike too and I really can't think of anything that sucks on it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bought it if it did...

eBiker
    I too have had nothing but great times this year riding my bike.

A full day of riding at Downieville this Friday = more good times

In 2 weeks, 6 hours of Kirkwood Super D = 6 hours of good times

We are lucky to have bikes that as so good now.

P

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by The R View Post
    I've had the exact opposite experience with Avid. Hope you find something that works.
    Shimano works. Second gen dual control XT, and the new XT are awesome. Formula works, but finicky to setup.

Well, Avid BB-7 are the best mech disks and work perfectly fine, so I was wrong saying I hate everything from Avid. And I was on Avid V-brakes and levers for many years.

I really liked the Shadow redesign of Shimano derailleurs. Last XTR shifter are perfection. Thomson seatpost and stem - bike feels wrong without them. Fizik saddles are tailor made for my butt.

slap happy
    #1, there is too many fanboy's on this forum, and not enough educated/experienced opinion.

#2, there are too many pretentious f*cktards on this forum whom honestly believe that if you don't buy "top shelf" equipment, then it's junk.

but, flipside of those two statements....there are also many helpful, honest and knowledgeable people here on this forum that will go out of their way to help a new guy. just ignore the former type and embrace the latter.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
    #1, there is too many fanboy's on this forum, and not enough educated/experienced opinion.

#2, there are too many pretentious f*cktards on this forum whom honestly believe that if you don't buy "top shelf" equipment, then it's junk.

but, flipside of those two statements....there are also many helpful, honest and knowledgeable people here on this forum that will go out of their way to help a new guy. just ignore the former type and embrace the latter.
    But sometimes we're one in the same and just like to be a bit of a ass-hat/d0uch3 nozzle because the intardwebz are fun
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    thanks alot, op..your bike spec just made my bike suck.
    Last edited by 53119; 08-09-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Its all relative........

slap happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    But sometimes we're one in the same and just like to be a bit of a ass-hat/d0uch3 nozzle because the intardwebz are fun
    crap i hadn't considered that yet lol.

usually people can tell when something is said in jest...but not always.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Who cares. People like to ***** more than rave about their products. Relax son.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You're not just talking about this site, you're talking about every review site on the internet.

The tip to finding useful information is this - check around other places, and look for trends.

Example: Avid Juicy 3 brakes. I see not just on here but other sites people mentioning they leak after a few months. While I'm sure most people probably don't have an issue with them, that's something I personally would take notice and consider when looking to purchase between different brands.

Another example: Avid Single Digit 7's. Again, not just here but all around the internet I see nothing but rave reviews for them. Again, that's information I'd trust.

One or two mentions can be considered flukes after all the best products will have a few bad eggs now and then. But, if the problem gets mentioned around different sites by different people it's probably something you can take notice of and consider useful information.

mtbr member extraordinair
    People that spend big $$ on components like to reassure themselves that everything less expensive sucks. It doesn't.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Love my Avid Elixir CR's.
    2014 Tallboy 2

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    I can appreciate this thread.

I did know that my bike does not suck, but I proved it again when I took it to Whistler last weekend, and kept up with or smoked everyone I was with on their DH bikes, on a bike that in the eyes of the internets isn't a standout or really all that fancy.

Then rode the Whistler valley trails the next day with zero setup change.

mtbr member
    This is my thread! My bike / components dont suck either! All my mid grade stuff is awsome too!

mtbr member
    Good post! Smiles for everybody!! But at the moment I'm not loving my bent crank. Replacement is in the mail and I will love it.
    I support the right of all Americans to keep and arm bears.

mtbr member
    I tend to think the mid-range stuff is the best value to performance ratio. I'm talking X9/XT. My X7 stuff on the one bike has been alright, but nowhere near as smooth as my X9. SLX stuff is surprisingly good as well, especially the brakes and cranks, if a bit heavier than XT.

I've had problems will anything lower level than that. Deore or lower, X5 or lower, etc. It's all been crap that just hasn't held up to the riding I do. Tuning it and dialing it in is also a b*tch. So I think there's a level reached where you get noticeable gains in performance, weight, and longevity. I think once you get to XO/XX and XTR level you get into bling factor and ultra weight savings. The price to performance ratio just doesn't work for me at those levels. Everyone has a different compass though, and people like racers or wannabe racers can justify it to themselves based on how they ride. It might have tangible benefits to them. To the average person, not so much.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 08-10-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    @ 40oz + for your avatar. it does not suck.

growing up on bmx with little money, these days i just try to match my bike to my skill set and adjust accordingly to which one starts sucking more.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My wife wants me to buy a bike at Wal-Mart and I told her that everyone on the internet would make fun of me. . .

mtbr member
    Funny,I did not get that impression when I first joined!
    Oh,by the way,Specialized SUCKS!!!

mtbr member
    There are much better reasons not to buy a bike at Wal-Mart.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast