Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,747

    My 2011 Giant Trance X Advanced. (Xpost from Giant page.)

    This project came about because my brain works too much when it comes to gear and set-up. I owned an aluminum 2009 Giant Trance X and really liked it. Good pedaling, comfy sizing, and great reliability. I had some issues with it, mostly the geometry. I tend to work more to get a good decent than all around ride, and the old bike wasn't cutting it in the steering department for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, it handled the local trails quite well, but had a twitchy feel for my downhill bias.

    Lots of people upgrade their Trance with longer 140/150mm forks, but since I ran the XL size, this became a problem. Giant's spec of a 7.5 inch head tube limited my options when it came to upgrading the fork. I already felt my bar height was too tall to corner the way I wanted on certain twisty trails in my area.

    So, I started toying with the idea of getting an all mtn. bike to roll some of the parts from my last bike to. The new Reign came to mind, but it started becoming a problem sourcing a frame. Giant wasn't offering the XL in a frame only, and I didn't like the idea of parting another bike out. The new press-fit BB didn't help matters, as I felt limited in chain guide options. I know they have options out there, but not if I decided to run a 2 ring guide of any type... To make a long story short, the option of getting this frame popped up and I hopped on it. The carbon bike uses a tapered head tube, and it was over half an inch shorter. Both of these factors got my gears turning...

    When the frame arrived, I was stunned. Giant crafts exquisite carbon bikes. The attention to detail floored me. I was suddenly caught with the notion that putting used, scratched up parts on it was just wrong. I'm not made of money, so I started thinking of a way to build this bike as nice as possible. Luckily, my other job was really busy at the time so funds were easier to come by.

    Fast forward a few months, and the snowball of a project is finished. The bike is full-XTR, with carbon rims, bars, and only weighs 25lbs. 11oz. Here's the spec. list:


    FRAME= Giant Trance X Advanced SL size XL
    FORK= Rock Shox Revelation RLT Ti 2 position 20mm axle
    CHAINRING= Ethirteen 34t
    CHAINGUIDE= Ethirteen XCX guide BB mount
    STEM= Easton Haven 70mm
    HANDLEBAR= Easton Havoc carbon bar 29.75 width
    HEADSET= Cane Creek Angleset 1.5deg. cup (HA=67.5 with 13.5 BB.)
    CRANKSET= Shimano XTR M980
    BOTTOM BRACKET= Shimano XTR
    BRAKES= Shimano XTR Trail
    TIRES= Continental Trailking UST 2.2 (set up tubeless)
    PEDALS= Shimano XTR Trail (will have some platforms too, but not yet.)
    SEATPOST= Rockshox Reverb
    SADDLE WTB= Silverado SLT
    GRIPS= ODI Troy Lee
    CASSETTE= Sram XX 11-36
    WHEELSET= Easton Carbon Havens
    SHIFTER= Shimano XTR
    REAR DERAILLEUR= Shimano XTR M980 med. cage
    CHAIN= Shimano HG-X 10 speed

    Ride report to come, but I gotta say it feels a ton better than the alloy bike. Amazing...











    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,275
    Well done sir.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: macming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,906
    wow very nice!

    The only thing I'd look into is a an integrated clamp for your shifter, so you can use one clamp for both your brake and shifter lever. I find that cleans up the bar a lot!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,448
    holy balls. i just got a trance x, looking forward to riding it, but dayum, I am super jealous.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kobayashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    42
    Awesome!

    Congrats, cool bike

  6. #6
    Beer Swilling Clyde
    Reputation: missoularider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    322
    Enjoy Cliffy, looks like it's going to leave smoke on the trail! From the pics the frame looks great, would love to see one in person. Your not kidding about giant having massive head tubes. I was so close on pulling the trigger on a large reign frame until I realized I didn't have a fork that would fit it.

  7. #7
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,927
    that is stupid awesome! i gotta say though the headtube area looks a little funky on the xl.

  8. #8
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,747
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    wow very nice!

    The only thing I'd look into is a an integrated clamp for your shifter, so you can use one clamp for both your brake and shifter lever. I find that cleans up the bar a lot!
    I have yet to find an integrated set-up that I like. As you can see in the pic, an integrated clamp probably wouldn't have the range I would prefer:

    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  9. #9
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,747
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    that is stupid awesome! i gotta say though the headtube area looks a little funky on the xl.
    It seems they went with a "better safe than sorry" design plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  10. #10
    T.W.O
    Reputation: pfox90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,729
    thing is sex on wheels

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,275
    How tall are you Uncle Cliffy?

  12. #12
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,747
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    How tall are you Uncle Cliffy?
    6 ft. 2 inches. (188cm)
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  13. #13
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,264
    I have only two gripes with the '11 Giant Trance X (non-Advanced), also in the XL sizeway:

    1. Pressfit BB, although snug as a bug, it really limits guide choices to the MRP X.1 and E.13 XCX. Having used the X.1 before on a Tracer VP and Spitfire, I can't say I'm terribly impressed and had some issues with the chain dropping through chop with the slightest of back pedal.
    2. Standover is crazy high, especially when coupled with a 140mm fork. However, it looks as though the Advanced model gives a bit more clearance. At 6'4" tall on an XL with a 140mm fork my garbage is almost riding the TT when off the pedals. Initially I tried running the fork at 150mm but it put the BB at almost 14" and the I would be playing rodeo on the TT, so it had to be shimmed down to 140.

    Having said all that, the new Maestro suspension is the ducks nuts. Perhaps a little on the soft side, but that's ok in my book. Probably the closest thing to my old Mojo DW Link than I've come across in a couple of years of searching.
    One potential issue I have yet to explore and Uncle Cliffy eludes to is the crazy long HT length. I built mine up with a 1-1/8" fork, non-tapered, with the idea of running an Angleset if need be. I can't imagine get much offset with that length HT without running a full 1.5" angleset.

    When I built this up back in late 2010 I had the chance to dial in it over a long weekend in Fruita and was blown away by how well it pedalled and soaked up all the dinner plate shale/choppy rocks down there. Fast forward through the winter to earlier this week and I had a chace to ride it on the slower, tech stuff down in Moab. Granted, I was bottoming out the susension down there, but it wasn't harsh and the bike did just fine. Only thing was that I was extremely nervous about those exposed carbon crank arms and expensive XO chainrings so I swapped them out for a 10-speed SLX crankset along with a 36 ring and bashring-it was a wise choice.

    Is the bike 'All-Mountain'? I don't know. I don't know what All-Mountain is, but regardless it's a sweet, rippin' Trail Bike.

    Sweet build thought UC.

    Vanity poacher picture post:


  14. #14
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,747
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    I have only two gripes with the '11 Giant Trance X (non-Advanced), also in the XL sizeway:

    1. Pressfit BB, although snug as a bug, it really limits guide choices to the MRP X.1 and E.13 XCX. Having used the X.1 before on a Tracer VP and Spitfire, I can't say I'm terribly impressed and had some issues with the chain dropping through chop with the slightest of back pedal.
    2. Standover is crazy high, especially when coupled with a 140mm fork. However, it looks as though the Advanced model gives a bit more clearance. At 6'4" tall on an XL with a 140mm fork my garbage is almost riding the TT when off the pedals. Initially I tried running the fork at 150mm but it put the BB at almost 14" and the I would be playing rodeo on the TT, so it had to be shimmed down to 140.

    One potential issue I have yet to explore and Uncle Cliffy eludes to is the crazy long HT length. I built mine up with a 1-1/8" fork, non-tapered, with the idea of running an Angleset if need be. I can't imagine get much offset with that length HT without running a full 1.5" angleset.

    Is the bike 'All-Mountain'? I don't know. I don't know what All-Mountain is, but regardless it's a sweet, rippin' Trail Bike.

    Sweet build thought UC.
    You echo all my thoughts about Giant's design here. I must say though, that your headtube seems shorter than mine just looking at it. What's it measure out to? As far as standover goes, I'd have to try your bike to see how bad it is. I've been on a XL Anthem X, and it wasn't terrible with my 34inch inseam, but my 2009 Trance X was worlds better, even with an inch taller headtube.

    The Advanced has a 6.875 HT. With my 1.5 cup, I'm pretty sure I got a full degree of angle change. Currently, my ripper bike is an Intense SS1 with a head angle of around 68 according to my phone. I consider it an accomplishment that this bike is slacker with almost the same BB height.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  15. #15
    bikeaholic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    677
    Stellar build.

  16. #16
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    good thing money was no object because i see quite a lot invested there. also, i'll agree that the xl just looks weird.

  17. #17
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    You echo all my thoughts about Giant's design here. I must say though, that your headtube seems shorter than mine just looking at it. What's it measure out to? As far as standover goes, I'd have to try your bike to see how bad it is. I've been on a XL Anthem X, and it wasn't terrible with my 34inch inseam, but my 2009 Trance X was worlds better, even with an inch taller headtube.

    The Advanced has a 6.875 HT. With my 1.5 cup, I'm pretty sure I got a full degree of angle change. Currently, my ripper bike is an Intense SS1 with a head angle of around 68 according to my phone. I consider it an accomplishment that this bike is slacker with almost the same BB height.
    It's enormous and the photo doesn't do it justice. A full 2" taller than the HT on my XL Spitfire coming in at 6.5", so not quite a half an inch shorter than what Giant lists your Advanced at.
    Upside to this is that with the short HT on the Banshee I wasn't able to transfer the fork over to another bike without replacing the entire crown, I shouldn't have a problem with that given the length on the Trance X.
    Oh well, I'm still searching for that Holy Grail of a bike. Getting close.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bullit43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    good thing money was no object because i see quite a lot invested there. also, i'll agree that the xl just looks weird.
    It seem that have 24" wheels,tough nice builds,congrat to both.

  19. #19
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43
    It seem that have 24" wheels,tough nice builds,congrat to both.
    those are 26" wheels

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bullit43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    119

    24

    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    those are 26" wheels
    Did you read what i wrote?Seems to have 24" wheels

    PS:Because the frame is so big that dwarfs the wheel´s.

  21. #21
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43
    Did you read what i wrote?Seems to have 24" wheels

    PS:Because the frame is so big that dwarfs the wheel´s.
    i suppose one could interpret it that way if one were so inclined.

  22. #22
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,552
    Seem can be taken in so many ways.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    6 ft. 2 inches. (188cm)
    XL, is that a 22in frame then?

    What's the fit like? It seems a bit massive for a 6'2" guy, I'm three inches taller than you and it looks big even for me.

    Very lovely bike though, how are you getting on with the XTR brakes?

  24. #24
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    XL, is that a 22in frame then?

    What's the fit like? It seems a bit massive for a 6'2" guy, I'm three inches taller than you and it looks big even for me.

    Very lovely bike though, how are you getting on with the XTR brakes?
    different things work for different people, i suppose. i have a friend who is 6'3"-6'4" and he prefers to always ride a large frame rather than xl, so i suppose the opposite can work as well.

  25. #25
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    XL, is that a 22in frame then?

    What's the fit like? It seems a bit massive for a 6'2" guy, I'm three inches taller than you and it looks big even for me.

    Very lovely bike though, how are you getting on with the XTR brakes?
    The actual seat tube measures out to around 20.5. ETT is around 25 inches. Since I like shorter stems, this top tube feels great. It's mainly the reach measurement that counts though...

    I still need to hit the dirt with it. The brakes have an amazing feel at the lever though. My favorite Shimano brakes were the pre-servowave Shimano XT/Saint models, and these feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •