Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

My 09 Titus FTM broke...any suggestions?

This is my first post here, I've been lurking for years. I need suggestions on what my options are with my 09 Titus FTM. I was just riding along, just starting up a hill, and gears
    started jumping and felt weird. I jumped off to see what had happened. It completely cracked through at the drop out. Some will already know that this is a horsh link, this is the
    seat stay bar that is carbon with the alumimum dropout epoxied to the carbon. I'll try adding a photo if I can. I looked on Titus / Planet X / On one site and found the part, a little
    pricey, but I was willing. found out that the part is not available....they said maybe by the end of summer. Well that's kind of a bummer. I'm back on my 11 year old Specy sworks
    fsr. So my thought is: is it possible to weld it, if someone knows what they are doing. I'm in Salt Lake City, Ut and I would guess that someone here knows how to weld bikes?
    At least it would be rideable until I can get a new one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 09 Titus FTM broke...any suggestions?-2013-05-11_15-29-09_825.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hmm..I would be hesitant welding in that area only because of the stress levels associated with that part of the bike. Worth a shot though, I know the replacement rears are pretty pricey and if they're out of stock it would suck to have to wait.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You may only need the seatstay assembly. I'm on my phone and can only make the pic so big. Was it On One or Titus that said they had none?

Did you post in the Titus forum? Someone may have a cracked front tri and be willing to let go of the rear tri for cheap?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yes it is the seat stay, I've taken it apart and have the piece to show. here is the web site Titus Cycles/On-One Bikes USA Web Store but it takes you to the Planet X web site, where the titus store is.
    I have not been on the titus forum yet, but that is a good idea, and I will try that too.

usually cranky
    titus wont warrenty it?

Off the saddle
    Yeah this was a known problem with the pre-2010 models. Supposedly they revamped the rear triangle for 2010.
    To be honest with you I don't even know how they will process warranty work since Titus is owned by Planet X.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    titus wont warrenty it?
    Only if the frame was bought from Titus/Planet X (after Nov '10), and the part needs to be available.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Only if the frame was bought from Titus/Planet X (after Nov '10), and the part needs to be available.
    so basically titus became a whole new entity in nov. 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    so basically titus became a whole new entity in nov. 2010?
    Yes.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    thanks for the reply's so far, Warranty is not the problem, it is that the part is not even available here. I did get the UK planet x address from Bikerbob, so I will at least contact them, and see if it is available from them. But for now I am with out my cushy mtn bike with the season just beginning.
    I still am lookin into having the part welded, until I can get a new one.
    I also thought about looking for a used one, but if get an original, just like I had, it obviously a really weak part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm confused. Will one of these not work depending on which version you have...

Titus Carbon FTM Chainstays

or

Titus Alloy Asymmetrical Chainstay

It shows they are in stock. Did you call Titus in the US?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi Mnigro, I can see your confusion. Mine is the Carbon Lite Rail, Seat Stay, not the chain stay. The carbon is epoxied to the aluminum dropout that shows in the picture. I need to post a better picture to show this.

Whe I contacted titus support, I asked if any other seat stay would work, including an aluminum version, and I was told that "it might work". but as expensive as it is, I don't want to just hope that it will work.

the seat stay in your link above, does look just like mine and would be the piece that the my broken seat stay connects to, to form the four bar rear triangle. So I need the other piece. Titus FTM Lightrail Seatstay

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sorry, I think I confused you now...LOL. I was really close to updating from the MotoLite to the FTM a few years ago and I was following the FTM breakage issues kind of closely. I was also looking into potentially stocking the entire rear tri for the motolite as a safe-guard, just in case. Been a while though so forgive my bad memory.

I was under the impression that they updated the whole rear triangle for 2010. Regarding the seatstay on their site, from what I understand, if you wanted to use that SS you'd also need the updated chainstay as well - the ones that I posted. If I were you I would call Titus directly and speak with someone that knows what they are talking about. You could try and set just the seatstay section and if it doesn't work, add the chainstay to the package. I'd make sure that I could return the part if it doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Sorry, I think I confused you now...LOL. I was really close to updating from the MotoLite to the FTM a few years ago and I was following the FTM breakage issues kind of closely. I was also looking into potentially stocking the entire rear tri for the motolite as a safe-guard, just in case. Been a while though so forgive my bad memory.

I was under the impression that they updated the whole rear triangle for 2010. Regarding the seatstay on their site, from what I understand, if you wanted to use that SS you'd also need the updated chainstay as well - the ones that I posted. If I were you I would call Titus directly and speak with someone that knows what they are talking about. You could try and set just the seatstay section and if it doesn't work, add the chainstay to the package. I'd make sure that I could return the part if it doesn't work out.
    All of the alloy FTMs use the same basic light rail rearend. The chainstays did not change (tapered and asymmetric). The seatstays did. The ones that look like a single molded piece are the newer version.

The Motolite and Racer X used the box section chainstays which is not compatible with the light rail seatstays.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So it sounds like only the seatstays are needed. You should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    So it sounds like only the seatstays are needed. You should be good to go.
    And the seatstays are out of stock in the US, as stated before.

There seem to be 4 in the UK: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSTIFTMS...rail_seat_stay
    mtbtires.com

one sick puppy
    I went through 3 rear triangles on my Motolite. The last was a FTM rear and that didn't make it either. And I'm not a crazy man on my bike. I really liked my Moto but now the frame is hanging on the garage wall. I stripped as much as I could and built up a Pivot mach 5.7, which I'm really liking.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    Looks like you need a new bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    All alloy rear triangles?

Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    All alloy rear triangles?
    There is not one, and the part that breaks is aluminum.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiBear View Post
    I went through 3 rear triangles on my Motolite. The last was a FTM rear and that didn't make it either. And I'm not a crazy man on my bike. I really liked my Moto but now the frame is hanging on the garage wall. I stripped as much as I could and built up a Pivot mach 5.7, which I'm really liking.
    Wow, what broke on the ML, the seat stay or chain-stay?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

one sick puppy
    Sorry, I missed your question. Didn't mean to be rude. The seatstay is what kept breaking. It's carbon. The chainstay looks rock solid. I even thought about buying an old Motolite 2 with the all aluminum rear triangle but the ones I saw were a little pricey for what I wanted to do
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Good info, this is what I have been hoping to find.

There seem to be 4 in the UK: Titus FTM Light Rail Seat Stay

Thanks for all the replys to this, I have not been able to check back for the last week. I had hoped that the UK would have one, but have not had the time to check it out. I'm hoping that they will ship to me in Utah??? I'm also hoping that these are the new and improbed SS? Hopefully I can get online and order one? It would keep me from having to buy a new ride for the summer, and I really do like the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013

There seem to be 4 in the UK: Titus FTM Light Rail Seat Stay
    Hi Shiggy, Can you swing me a super sweet deal on a whole frame replacement?

Can I order this from the UK online? is the price the same? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GearQueen View Post
    Hi Shiggy, Can you swing me a super sweet deal on a whole frame replacement?

Can I order this from the UK online? is the price the same? thanks
    I no longer work for them. US/UK prices are similar.
    mtbtires.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast