mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Must protect my beautiful legs

Last night I went trail riding for the first time in about 12 years. It has been raining solid here for a week and the trails are full of leaves and very soft mud. Not to mention...we started in the dark and finished when it was even darker. I was amazed that I made it up every climb except for a couple of nasty root outcroppings. Our longest climb was about a half hour of continuous uphill with (I think) 14 switchbacks...I was very proud to have made it up that without stopping (except for a down tree where we had to portage our bikes).

Anyway, on the way down, I took it fairly easy because I could feel my tires starting to go out on me many times as I hit slick or soft areas.

Getting to the point....I biffed it pretty decently because my front wheel slid off a wet log...you know the type...with no bark so it's all slimy as if freshly greased. I wasn't going extremely fast but fast enough to tear my knee up a bit.

So, I'm not a downhiller or even what I'd call AM...alas...I'm a lowly XC/Commuter. But, with the wet and slippery conditions...crashing is pretty much a given.

I need some knee protection that won't interfere with cranking up the hills. What say you?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    661 Kyle Straits are the way to go for sure. You can actually pedal quite comfortably in them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Are you looking for just knees, or would you like a knee/shin combination? I recently started up a thread about full leg protection, and I got pretty good responses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    SIXSIXONE 4X4 KNEE/SHIN 07 (pair)

Full coverage EVA foam, 300 denier shell with nylon inserts. Now available in youth size.
    12mm EVA foam padding with nylon inserts for impact protection.
    300 Denier nylon outer cover takes the abuse.
    Coolmax® liners wick away moisture keeping you cool and dry.
    New wide mesh open weave circulates air to keep you cool & dry.

Hope this helps

Jumper
    Roach Armor
    Nuff Said

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxCutts8
    SIXSIXONE 4X4 KNEE/SHIN 07 (pair)

Full coverage EVA foam, 300 denier shell with nylon inserts. Now available in youth size.
    12mm EVA foam padding with nylon inserts for impact protection.
    300 Denier nylon outer cover takes the abuse.
    Coolmax® liners wick away moisture keeping you cool and dry.
    New wide mesh open weave circulates air to keep you cool & dry.

Hope this helps
    +1
    I usually carry them on the climb, since pedaling with them for long can scrub skin off the knees.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    d3o

mtbr member
    I have a pair of the cheapo Fox Shin/Knee guards. they cost about $25 but have saved my shins and knees on the first ride with them. I crashed big time on a downhill. They got scratched up pretty bad, but it saved my shins!
    I didn't really notice them at all on the climb and it was a pretty warm day. I will be getting body armor for the shoulders, arms and chest. as soon as I start riding again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by black hills tj
    Are you looking for just knees, or would you like a knee/shin combination? I recently started up a thread about full leg protection, and I got pretty good responses.
    Well, my knees took all the punishment last night.

Can you post a link to the thread?

Thanx everyone!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

mtbr member

Dainese 3X

Me and my girlfriend have tried several sets, and for a knee and shin protector with excellent comfort and pedaling, we have gone to the Dainese 3X.

These go for about $79, but if you see any type of "Mystery" sale at beyond bikes you can get them cheaper. At the recent Halloween Sale there, we typed in the "Spooky" code, and got them for $58.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Kyle Starts. Unlike some of the other suggestions, they are pretty comfortable on extended rides.

I have two sets of pads: a lightweight XC set (Straits) and a set for places like Northstar.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i went through many issues with knee/shin. First is slippage, what's the point of wearing cumbersome armor if it's just going to slip and leave your knee exposed. When you are pedaling alot you don't want to worry about grabbing your armor all the time so it fits right. There are also issues of armor being comfortable yet the fabric being too fragile. Then there is issues of fabric fraying, which causes friction and rubbing, which leads to sores for XC riders who are pedalling a bunch.

So after years of trying out different brands i finally found a pad that works the best. Fox North Shore. Open ended pad with hard cup for knee, quality and currently cheaper than dirt.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/o...ards+-+size+xl
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    661 KS. triple stamped...
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv