Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    fuggansonofahowa

Must Haves - Ride Essentials

I've been out of the picture for quite a few years now. It's actually funny that they've brought back some of the 10+ year-old, classic AT/Mud tires (smoke & velociraptor)....anyway, that's not my point in the thread.

I'm trying to tool up for some heavy, deep-woods technical....walking is last possible option, and weight is not the number one priority (although the lighter the better). FYI, my new ride is SRAM drivetrain (X9), Manitou air (front and rear), Juicy's, SPD clipless....

This is what I've got on my list so far:

Hydration - (Camelback/bottles)
    Extra Dropout (derailer hanger)
    Allen tool
    Chainbreak tool
    Leatherman multi-tool
    spare tube(s)
    spare chain/SRAM power links
    lube
    electrical tape (holds stuff together)
    extra brake pads (not sure on hydraulic wear)

Anything else that you wouldn't dare hit the trails without?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Cell phone. First aid kit.
    In my kit, beside iodine, band aid and bandages, I carry glucose pills. Also, it would be a good idea to have at least 1 bottle of ice(goes both for hydration and to ice bruises). If you don't carry ice - then freezing spray.
    Zip ties. Tire levers. Patch kit(you never know how many flats you may get on one ride, so even 2 spare tubes may be not enough). If you have sealant in the tubes(what I would strongly recommend, particularly in the summer) - then also a small bottle of acetone and piece of cloth to clean up the tube before patching.

Gnar
    Don't forget your pump!

HIKE!
    Duct Tape in addition to (or instead of) electrical tape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

More stuff for long days

I always take a jacket (wind/waterproof). I usually carry a skull cap in since most of your body heat is lost through your head.

Some other things to consider that weren't mentioned in previous posts.

A tire boot or emergency boot (large patch) for tire failures.

Pinch light (keychain light).

Lighter / fire starting kit.

Latex gloves for chain repairs and/or first aid.

Sunscreen packets.

Small bottle of chain lube.

Bug repellent.

Of course your hydration pack can get pretty heavy, so it is still a matter of personal choice how much stuff to bring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    extra cables, shock pump if you have air shocks, headlamp if you tend to push a bit too far...

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fuel
    Don't forget your pump!
    DOH!

Excellent suggestions. The first aid kit is also something I always have...just didn't post. Self-sealing (slime) tubes are relatively inexpensive these days....require investigation on my part.

Outdoor survival stuff IS crucial (especially for epic all-dayers) - light, repellent, sunscreen, etc.

Tire/tube patch is a good one. I've been on rides where side-wall blowout turned one rider into a bike haulin' hiker (wouldn't hold tube). A patch would have probably allowed him to nurse the bike back to camp.

Extra cables make good sense....Is the shock pump worth hauling?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Wow, some of my riding buddies think I'm over-prepared, but Hawseman I'm not sure you need quite all of that stuff. The derailleur hangar may be overkill...an entire chain is definitely too much, just take a master-link or pin...lube is probably not an issue...and extra pads are not necessary (if you left home with nearly worn out pads, shame on you...LOL!). Now let me state that my suggestions are for general trail riding as your post seems to imply...not some South American jungle death ride...LOL!

As others have pointed out, a pump is critical, and the suggestion of a boot is equally smart. A boot has saved me a walk on more than one occasion. Extra lube could be an issue for some gawdawful situation of weather and mud, but I don't think I would have headed out during a monsoon for a "regular" ride. The suggestion of a small amount of sunscreen is smart. Longer rides with the real threat of skin cancer down the road is no laughing matter anymore. The suggestion of duct tape over electrical tape is wise. Nascar guys don't call duct tape, "200 mph tape" for nothing. Zip ties are one of the best inventions ever. If you're riding alone, the cell phone...if useable in your riding area...is obviously a smart move. The type of multitool can be an important issue. Get one that can take care of just about every item on your bike...check this before you buy. I also carry a little plastic 35mm film canister with 4 or 5 of the most common and critical bolts/nuts on my bike...insert some foam inside to keep from rattling.

Of course much of this changes as the ride verges on some kind of killer epic, especially if alone. The most common things that make you walk out are tire issues and drivetrain failure. If you break a chain, it's almost always fixable with links or pins...easy to carry. The extra tube, pump, boot, etc. for the tire issues will almost always address any issue...and if you went into serious cactus country without sealant in your tires, maybe you deserve to die...LOL!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    in a camleback:
    water (duh)
    2 multitools, one of them foldy allen key things and a gerber multitool
    2 tubes
    1 patch kit
    1 co2 pump
    2 co2 cart.
    master link and chain tool
    fist aid kit with personal info card (name, ssn, address, blood type)
    i like electrical tape (strechy)
    bic lighter (in a zip lock bag)
    map
    and a gerber gator 3 1/2 inch folding blade knife.

might be over kill for some. i ride alone alot. if you ride in a group maybe cross loading survival gear might help

oh i forgot, car keys..

banned
    Don't forget the toilet paper!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bandanna or snake bite kit. I don't have a snake bite kit, but I carry a bandanna that could be wrapped above a snake bite and slow the spread of venom while getting your ass to the hospital. I hope to never experience this. Oh yeah, the bandanna could serve as TP if called upon.

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Wow, some of my riding buddies think I'm over-prepared, but Hawseman I'm not sure you need quite all of that stuff. The derailleur hangar may be overkill...an entire chain is definitely too much, just take a master-link or pin...lube is probably not an issue...and extra pads are not necessary (if you left home with nearly worn out pads, shame on you...LOL!). Now let me state that my suggestions are for general trail riding as your post seems to imply...not some South American jungle death ride...LOL!

As others have pointed out, a pump is critical, and the suggestion of a boot is equally smart. A boot has saved me a walk on more than one occasion. Extra lube could be an issue for some gawdawful situation of weather and mud, but I don't think I would have headed out during a monsoon for a "regular" ride. The suggestion of a small amount of sunscreen is smart. Longer rides with the real threat of skin cancer down the road is no laughing matter anymore. The suggestion of duct tape over electrical tape is wise. Nascar guys don't call duct tape, "200 mph tape" for nothing. Zip ties are one of the best inventions ever. If you're riding alone, the cell phone...if useable in your riding area...is obviously a smart move. The type of multitool can be an important issue. Get one that can take care of just about every item on your bike...check this before you buy. I also carry a little plastic 35mm film canister with 4 or 5 of the most common and critical bolts/nuts on my bike...insert some foam inside to keep from rattling.

Of course much of this changes as the ride verges on some kind of killer epic, especially if alone. The most common things that make you walk out are tire issues and drivetrain failure. If you break a chain, it's almost always fixable with links or pins...easy to carry. The extra tube, pump, boot, etc. for the tire issues will almost always address any issue...and if you went into serious cactus country without sealant in your tires, maybe you deserve to die...LOL!
    TNC...appreciate the input.

A spare derailleur hangar is critical, IMHO. Many a-rider in my area (Maine=moutains, mud, sticks, roots, rocks) have had derailler dropouts cleaned out and wished they brought a spare. This is a killer - you're pretty much scarewd.

The chain thing I can agree with, perhaps a whole replacement is overkill. I've always had an extra, lubed in a freezer bag and never used it after many rides. Of course, we used to ride chains tight (big-to-big - 1 or so). I don't think I'll do that anymore.

As far as pads - I've burned through a brand new set of V-brake pads on a single weekend day ride. My new rim cost me a pretty penny. I'm not confident with the wear of hydraulics at this point-in-time. We bike uphill for hours, and downhill hard for a fraction of that....hard on brakes. After I learn the wear on my new hydraulics, I may revisit. But at a mear 24g, and tool-less install, I'll bring 'em.

The case of bolts/pins/nuts/etc. is an excellent idea. I can throw my power link connectors in there (scrapping the whole chain).

@f00lzBurden - personal info is good for those solo trips...saves on having to do DNA tests or check dental records.

@GETSTUPID - How can I argue that...nothing worse than riding on an MTB saddle with an unclean a$$....can ruin some good riding shorts.

Glad to Be Alive
    derailler cable
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

TNC
    noMAD man

Derailleur cable?

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    derailler cable
    Bob, what would you do with a derailleur cable?...you don't know how to install that thing. Well...I guess once you realized you were gonna die in the wilderness because you couldn't shift your gears, you could hang yourself from the nearest tree with that cable.

No...wait...use that cable to make a snare about neck high on the trail and just ambush the next rider, take his bike, and ride home.

Just kidding, Bob.

Oh...BTW...that suggestion of toilet paper is one of the most important items that I forgot. I once had to sacrifice a favorite bandana for...well...I'm sure you can guess how it got sacrificed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    TP,
    tools,
    Water proof matches
    GPS or Map or both, these I would make a priority on an epic ride!
    Derailleur hanger
    patches
    spare QR rod (I have seen them break before)
    First Aid kit
    tape
    tire irons
    Pepper spray

mtbr member
    Don't forget a gun.

fuggansonofahowa
    I guess that's one way to make it to the finish before your riding buddies.....

mtbr member
    The gun is actually not a bad idea. Here in Oz it is definitely illegal so I never leave home without a Benchmade folder in my pocket. My wife was trailling me by some 50m on a narrow trail once and had her life threatened by a couple of hoods; luckily she managed to out ride them but if the incident ever repeated itself I swore to ride back and take out the fools. So a tactical knife or a double barrel shot gun (if wearing a large pack) is high on my list of "Ride Essentials"!!!
    Last edited by drmark67; 06-15-2007 at 05:08 AM.
    "Carpe diem, quam minimun credula postero"- Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow.(Horace)

TNC
    noMAD man

Well, if you're gonna be armed...

At least make it convenient to operate the gun while riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    ^ I didn't see that option on the Santa Cruz website

mtbr member
    In my camelback:

(I run Stan's but...)
    two spare tubes

patch kit

leather for tire boot (palm of old, leather work/gardening glove)

a bright orange, fold-up emergency rain coat (a large trash bag will do)

a couple of sandwich ziplocks (for the cell and gps if it starts raining)

pills that chemically purify water

cell phone

drivers license, credit card, $20 cash, emergency contact info

a GPS

area maps

an extra derailleur (yep - I broke one off one time and with full suspension that has
    "chain growth", there's no way to make it a single-speed. Walking sucks. Now, as an
    alternative, you could pack a singleator instead.) And my extra rear derailleur has
    saved others in group rides.

two extra hangers

new cable for front/rear derailleur

first aid kit with plenty of antiseptic, gauze and tape.

duct tape

advil

Saltstik pills

multi-tool

4 or 5 CO2 canisters and a Superflate (with Stan's, you need this)

A tire pump

A shock pump

Alien multi-tool

A bag full of all possible allen wrenches needed for anything on the bike, including
    the wrench for the star bolts used on disks.

tiny needlenose pliers

extra pedal cleats and cleat bolts

extra pedal parts (Frog clamshells modified to work on either side)

a small assortment of nuts and bolts

1 foot of safety wire

a section of chain, master pins, a couple of the quick links

cliff bars and goo

a ziplock with a small, clean, dry towel

the "e-kit" (a ziplock with some TP)

gatorade (in a bottle cage on the bike)

I also usually carry a folding saw for trail maintenance, but on vacations, that's left at home.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    I keep a back pack tie downs with me in case a turnicate is ever needed. Good way to stop a major bleed or cinch up a compound fracture & tie ya to a couple of tree branches.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hydration - (Camelback/bottles) Bottles
    Extra Dropout (derailer hanger) Nope just bend back for the ride home
    Allen tool Yup, kind with the balls on the end
    Chainbreak tool Yup
    Leatherman multi-tool Yup
    spare tube(s) 1 with a patch kit, and boot I run UST
    spare chain/SRAM power links Shimano pins
    lube Nope needed once on 161 km ride though
    electrical tape (holds stuff together) Nope
    extra brake pads (not sure on hydraulic wear) Nope, rode steel on steel for 20 k though.
    CO2 Air, buddy carrys the pump.
    Emergency energy bar.

Anything else that you wouldn't dare hit the trails without?

Lucnh and clothing as required.

Used it all, always got home on the bike.

Most runs are 30 km to 80 km say 2.5 hours to 6 hours, in the rockies.

it's....
    Cash.

banned
    Jesus christ evil P, how big is your bag??? That is all essential stuff, but where do you put it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast