mtbr member

Musical Shredders.....or at least rider/musicians

I wanted to start this thread here as it has become a topic of conversation and attempting to derail the thread about my bike. And we can't have that.

You might say, why don't I take it to a music forum? Well, basically, I don't hang there. it's more interesting to talk music with bike riders.

Plus, I like to jam. i have wanted to set up jams at NORBA nationals (in the old days), Sea Otter, etc. And when I get a proper bike demo tour, jamming must be part of it.

What if my evil plan is to drive around the country, riding bikes and playing music?

So, who plays what, where and why???
    Musical Shredders.....or at least rider/musicians-hotrod-deluxe-1.jpg

mtbr member
    I play the guitar when I can find the time.
    Here is my bands old set up.
    Musical Shredders.....or at least rider/musicians-basementwguitars.jpg

2005 Yeti 575
    2003 Trek Alpha 4100

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I play guitar, bass, mandolin, a little banjo. Started guitar 35 years ago, I'll jam with you if we ever meet for sure!
    I've been mixing and recording lately at home on a DAW (digital audio workstation), aka my laptop with some fancy software and some preamps and outboard gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I play guitar, piano, sing, and rap. Make good $ running my band as a side business on top of day job too.

I'm a much better musician than I am a rider haha.

To be fair, 10+ years experience as a professional musician vs about 2 months as a n00b on a mtb!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Awesome thread. My passion is guitar and my hobby is slaying trails. I have been playing for about 12 years now. New custom I received a few weeks ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Musical Shredders.....or at least rider/musicians-stk-case.jpg  

Musical Shredders.....or at least rider/musicians-stk-front.jpg  

Musical Shredders.....or at least rider/musicians-stk-back.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RayFeiler View Post
    I play the guitar when I can find the time.
    Here is my bands old set up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BasementWGuitars.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	1156565
    Way cool. Now we're talkin.

For the record, while I've been "playing" guitar for decades, I'm not very good..Never put the time in. Same with bass. Worse with drums.

But I play a passably mean blues harp and front man singing blues and classic rock. And a pretty good jazz "sax" on my harp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Baird View Post
    I play guitar, bass, mandolin, a little banjo. Started guitar 35 years ago, I'll jam with you if we ever meet for sure!
    I've been mixing and recording lately at home on a DAW (digital audio workstation), aka my laptop with some fancy software and some preamps and outboard gear.
    keep eyes peeled for my demo tour. Where?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
    I play guitar, piano, sing, and rap. Make good $ running my band as a side business on top of day job too.

I'm a much better musician than I am a rider haha.

To be fair, 10+ years experience as a professional musician vs about 2 months as a n00b on a mtb!
    nice. I've been doing gigs for decades, on and off, but never more than a few a year due to ....racing

I might be a better rider than musician....average at both?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin650b View Post
    Awesome thread. My passion is guitar and my hobby is slaying trails. I have been playing for about 12 years now. New custom I received a few weeks ago.
    Nice axe. I have 100 acres of old growth forest. Which reminds me, possible MTB/Music/product launch in Oct. Late notice, I know...

Anyway, I want to make a guitar out of one of my trees. Got some nice ash...

mtbr member
    I've been playing guitar seriously for about 22 years. For the last 15 years it has been dedicated to extreme metal, but I can play all sorts of stuff. I actually have a one-man atmospheric black metal band/project and am going to release an album this fall hopefully (it takes forever to get a whole album done by yourself). I program the drums but play bass, guitar, and do vocals and all other instruments the real way. I'll post a song or two if anyone is interested. It's REAL heavy shit, just a forewarning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I played drums poorly in a punk band almost 2 decades ago. My wife is a vocalist in a death metal fusion band.

WillWorkForTrail
    20 years a bass player, I keep telling myself I'll learn something besides bar chords and power chords on guitar one day...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYx324GAbsE/?hl=en

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    keep eyes peeled for my demo tour. Where?
    I am in Connecticut, near New Haven.

mtbr member
    i play Metallica, GnR, Buckethead, RATM, Hendrix etc. not very good but i have fun. heres my geetar (see pic below)

i want to get into Rocksmith again, thanks to this dude. hes hella funny and has only been playing for like 3.5 years but is pretty badass

https://www.twitch.tv/lefrenchstallion/videos/all

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I don't know an E string from a G string, but I like the lifestyle ;~)

Name:  MyKrazyLife_01a.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  163.4 KB

mtbr member
    I can't play any instruments at all but music has always been important to me so I 'made' the kids learn. Result is that they all play to some degree and we have a huge array of instruments in the house ;0)

Annoyingly, they have never played together.

mtbr member
    Wait, so the same guys that ride mountain bikes also play electric guitar? What's next, are you gonna tell me they're all into craft beer?

(been playing for 20-something years, BTW. sometimes I can also trick people into thinking I'm a decent drummer.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I've been playing guitar for 27 years, recording for 20, a luthier for 15, and still suck!

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Trevor View Post
    a luthier for 15
    pix!
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I don't know an E string from a G string, but I like the lifestyle ;~)

Name:  MyKrazyLife_01a.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  163.4 KB
    gotta carry weapons, cuz you always carry cash........

R.I.P. DogFriend
    gotta carry weapons, cuz you always carry cash........
    There's lots of shady characters

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    There's lots of shady characters
    and lots of dirty deals
    Every name's an alias in case somebody squeals

CTB
    mtbr member
    Neither I nor the room look like this anymore, but I still have all the gear (and more). Fun story about that red synth behind me.

Relating to the thread that started this: Can anyone ID that amp behind me? It was prized by some friends in HS for its warm tone, apparently.

EDIT: Ah, I guess the brand name actually IS visible. Oh well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Musical Shredders.....or at least rider/musicians-shredders.jpg  

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Neither I nor the room look like this anymore, but I still have all the gear (and more). Fun story about that red synth behind me.

Relating to the thread that started this: Can anyone ID that amp behind me? It was prized by some friends in HS for its warm tone, apparently.

Ha, yea, the only way I can actually tell there's an amp behind you where that mixer is sitting is because there's an Ampeg logo on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    20 years a bass player, I keep telling myself I'll learn something besides bar chords and power chords on guitar one day...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYx324GAbsE/?hl=en
    Bass player here as well. Been playing, um, 30+ years and have been gigging in one form or another for most of that. I have nice gear but I'm still a hack so I have that in common with mountain biking.

Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post

I knew it was an Ampeg something or other even before I could make out the logo. Still not exactly sure of what it is. Love the Ric, though!

I'm down to one bass right now but I'm not complaining! And speaking of Ampeg...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    I've been playing guitar seriously for about 22 years. For the last 15 years it has been dedicated to extreme metal, but I can play all sorts of stuff. I actually have a one-man atmospheric black metal band/project and am going to release an album this fall hopefully (it takes forever to get a whole album done by yourself). I program the drums but play bass, guitar, and do vocals and all other instruments the real way. I'll post a song or two if anyone is interested. It's REAL heavy shit, just a forewarning.
    Extreme metal, hence the user name?

Post 'em up. I'd love to hear some of your stuff.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Ron Hoover View Post

I knew it was an Ampeg something or other even before I could make out the logo. Still not exactly sure of what it is.
    It's an Ampeg GU-12 guitar amp. Technically I stole it from my sister. Apparently 1971 or so, only a couple years younger than I am.

Love the Ric, though!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    hey man, even if it isn't my "cup of tea" (who knows?) I appreciate what it takes. Rock on. Ride on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I can't play any instruments at all but music has always been important to me so I 'made' the kids learn. Result is that they all play to some degree and we have a huge array of instruments in the house ;0)

You should organize a family jam whenever possible. My dad's 89, plays pedal steel in a country band twice a month. I try to gig with him at least once a year. Gonna go after Interbike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post

get a cajon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hiphopopotamus View Post
    Wait, so the same guys that ride mountain bikes also play electric guitar? What's next, are you gonna tell me they're all into craft beer?

(been playing for 20-something years, BTW. sometimes I can also trick people into thinking I'm a decent drummer.)
    sexdrugsrocknrollnriding

before Craft Beer, there were things like Theaksons Old Peculiar, a peculiar British beer for those with impeccibly peculiar tastes.

But I've kinda moved on to 3-5 year old tequila. to the point where I'm aging my own in oak barrels

Calgon, take me away!
    I've been playing guitar for 25 years, casually. I try to keep a songlist worked up, and I play classic rock or pop. Unfortunately life is in the way right now so I am quite rusty.

I have an electric but it's very very dusty. In the end I just prefer acoustic guitar.

What I love is playing for a group. The highlight of my "career" was at a big drunken party maybe 12 years ago. I had 35 people singing along. I was drinking quite a bit myself, and everything clicked and I closed my eyes at times, and the music was just flowing out of the guitar. I was playing some hard rock and hitting the strings hard to try to get some distortion.

Usually it's just a small group, and that is cool too. I prefer to play outside...it just sounds better.

I really wish I could sing. I have a great ear and always know what note I am going for, but my voice can't always get there. But I learned a long time ago that I had to sing, because you can't get the crowd going without doing that.
    Banshee Prime

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I really wish I could sing. I have a great ear and always know what note I am going for, but my voice can't always get there. But I learned a long time ago that I had to sing, because you can't get the crowd going without doing that.
    You probably can sing. You just need to do it more with a focus on the right note. For instance:

In college, I had a friend who was quite the drama geek (a term I use with some affection, having a bit of stage time myself) who landed himself a role in a musical. The only problem was, he couldn't sing. I told him to try, and at least ACT like he was singing. After all, isn't that what he was doing, acting? So he acted like he could sing, and eventually, he actually ended up being able to sing fairly well.

I would say what most people miss in being able to sing is being able to hear themselves. Then you get on stage and there's this monitor there, and you can hear yourself, and they get scared. We were rehearsing a song one day, and I had never really been able to sing while playing bass - but I'd fronted 3 bands before I picked up bass. The issue was both at the same time. Anyhow, there was this one part that no one could do, background vocals, and finally I walked over to the guitarist's mic and cut loose with it when we got there - nailed it - and everyone else stopped like what the heck? he can sing? and I kept playing. Never missed a lick. What I discovered is that if I know both parts separately really well, I can put them together. So short parts are easier than long parts, but I've worked up to being able to do whole songs in lead vox while playing bass, but we haven't sprung that on anyone yet. Anyway - monitors - I discovered that the guitarist couldn't hear himself in his monitor. I knew the note, and nailed it, but I always felt like the guitarist struggled. He can sing, it just seemed...hit and miss. Once we turned his monitor up, it screwed him up for about two weeks. Then once he got used to that, his vox where spot on just about every time.

So, if you want to learn to sing, get a mic and some sort of PA and make sure you can HEAR yourself through them. It really does help.

Cycologist
    I remember reading an interview with Geddy Lee and he said he learned his bass parts to the point of being able to play them in his sleep to enable himself to be able to sing. If you've ever been on a stage where you could not hear yourself at all, it is a scary feeling, you are totally lost. You don't really understand that until it happens, you may think you'll still hear yourself in your head but you don't. Singing is like anything else, you have to practice. I'm not much of a singer but I would improve when I practiced.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    get a cajon
    We have one of those.

And a seven-piece drum kit.

And Two bass guitars,
    three electric guitars,
    three acoustic guitars,
    four ukuleles,
    two saxophones,
    an electric piano,
    a midi keyboard...

Heck, we used to have a glockenspiel! Not one of those kiddie ones mind, a big feck-off one with tubes hanging under it and everything.

I have tried to get the kids to play together, they could do it, but they start fighting at the suggestion so the reality might not go well. Eventually they'll grow up enough to play nice. Maybe.