mtbr member
    Feb 2009

multi or single release cleats for aggressive AM riding?

I ride spd's for trail riding.I can ride flats but enjoy the added efficiency of clipless. Hav to buy new cleats but am not sure if should go multi or single release.
    For those of you who use spd's, what r u running? Single or multi release? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This is personal preference, you need to try both. I used to run single release with the tension all the way backed off, but now I prefer multi release with more tension.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    using multirelease 56s on my XTR985. saved my butt on multiple occasions, i have never come out while pedaling or when i didnt want it to

i wouldnt call my riding aggressive trail though, i guess its called trail.. more than xc..

Paste eater
    How do the multirelease cleats work?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Good job!

Multi release work by allowing the cleat to release by a twist of the heel to either the left, right or up. Single rel only let go when u twist the heel to the outside, away from the bike. I heard multi release can accidentally unclip during jumps (scary!!) I have spd's now but am not sure what they are. They rarely unclip accidentally. Since I'm replacing the cleats and shoe I'd like some inputs from other ridersm thx for all that hav contrib so far. Wold love to hear more..

the Chain Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by kneetowaist View Post
    I heard multi release can accidentally unclip during jumps (scary!!)
    This used to happen to me when I switched. It is scary for sure. I had to run more tension then when I had single release. It isn't an issue any more. The only time I have had them release when I didn't want is when I was pulling up hard on the pedal up a tough climb. Doesn't happen often though.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by bengxe View Post
    This is personal preference, you need to try both. I used to run single release with the tension all the way backed off, but now I prefer multi release with more tension.
    I agree. I tried multi release when Shimano first came out with it, I didn't like it too much. I like single release and tension one click from full. High tension is counter intuitive but it's easier to get out than low tension without any accidental mishaps.

The main reason peeps can't get out of the pedal is panic, not cleats tension or cleats type. After a few months of practicing trackstand with the clipless it should buy you a few more seconds in crunch time