Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mtn bike grease

ninja

mtn bike grease

I am relatively new to bike maintenance and was wondering if you guys could recommend a type or types of grease for every thing. like bottom bracket, general purpose, chain and a good place to buy it from would be great to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    erm..I think Park Tools has chainlube and grease for everything. There are likely dozens of other vendors for lube and grease just so you know. As for where to get em, your LBS or my go-to place...Amazon.com.

~Disc~Golf~
    My recs...
    Grease - Molybdenum (Moly) Grease - big tub
    Oil - Bar/chain (saw) oil - Gallon
    Spray (for derailleurs, stanchions etc) - Silicone spray (~20oz.)

Where to get - any hardware/home builders supply store.

Buying any "bike specific" stuff is just silly/stupid - unless you like wasting $$
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Don't put grease on your chain, it just picks up crap and wears the chain even faster.

Buy a bottle of specific chain lube for your chain/gears. For everything else except forks a decent teflon grease works fine, apply sparingly.

I've always used Finish line Dry chain lube :http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...px?ModelID=317

and grease http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...px?ModelID=980

I use those because my LBS carries it, they use it and it's always worked fine for me.
    You can get them or something similar from all decent bike shops, just go in and ask for a decent grease and a bottle of chain lube. Or get it off a website.

#Edit, or take Highdell's suggestion and get a gallon of it for the price a bike shop will charge you for 3oz.

mtbr member
    the ease of use of prolink makes it worth every penny to me.

im sticking with my big tub of marine grease for everything else though.

ninja
    thx guys

mtbr member
    I love the Tri-Flow red grease.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Phil Wood waterproof grease is the best!
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

Crainius Maximus
    Oct 2005
    Rock-N-Roll Super Slick grease for fork/shock rebuilds
    Rock-N-Roll Super Web grease for bearings
    Pedro's Ice Wax or similar dry chain lube...I gave up on wet chain lubes!

mtbr member
    I used Marine Grease on my I drive and it has been awesome. Use triflow on the chain.

Anyone make their own chain lube?

I have heard chain saw barr oil and canola oil make a nice lube? Is it 50/50?

Huh?
    Bacon

In a more serious note, never use WD-40. It wasn't anything you said or anything, no one has recommended it, but better you know just in case.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Pretty much any grease will work. For the most part, grease is grease. But don't use it on your chain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Synthetics will be safer for o-rings and rubber parts when necessary. I also use regular store brand lubes and stuff.

mtbr member
    I hear KY works awesome.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    I hear KY works awesome.
    The wife, her friend and I agree, KY does work awesome.....

BOT: I used Phil's Waterproof for most general purpose applications....'cept on shocks & forks. Also, I use Rock n' Roll Super Web Grease on partial-rotating bearings like headsets and pivot bearings. This messy stuff doesn't tend to pack up to one side like others do.

Call me "old school", and I've tried quite a few, but I always end up applying the Cross Country Wet Lube to my chain (Mobile 1 in winter). I will give ChainL a try one of these days.....but CCWL just works well for the mixed conditions I generally ride in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Why is WD-40 so bad?

I use Castrol LG greased for any bearings, BB etc.

Is it common to use Chail saw oil for the chain? I've never considered it before but it seems logical as surely its designed to reduce wear on the chainsaw blade? Its 'stickiness' may be a problem as its being constantly applied in a chain saw.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    WD40 is a degreaser

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    marine grease and silicone spray. done.

Underskilled
    I heard about the chainsaw oil thing here a few months back.
    It is discusting stuff, but made chain maintainence so easy.
    I have a pair of plastic gloves and two rags next to my bike.

One rag is full of oil, the second is occasionally cleaned and is used to wipe off excess.

Takes 20s every week, but worth it.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Underskilled
    The best grease I have tried is finishline ceramic.
    Expensive but is the most weather resistant grease I have found (I have not tried phill wodds).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    I 3rd the marine grease. I use Lithium marine grease and have for years. (it is cheaper than bike specific and works better in wet conditions (and as good in dry))

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman
    I used Phil's Waterproof for most general purpose applications....'cept on shocks & forks. Also, I use Rock n' Roll Super Web Grease on partial-rotating bearings like headsets and pivot bearings. This messy stuff doesn't tend to pack up to one side like others do.
    Ditto - super web grease doesn't migrate out like marine grease/Phil's and stays on the bearings but doesn't roll as well so perfect for headsets and pivots. Hub bearings get Phil's but may try RWC's grease for lower resistance. My chains will never see anything other than Rock & Roll.

Great tip on the silicone spray for the ders Highdelll! I had always used Tri-flow but that attracts dirt.

Ring gear - Chris King's proprietary ring gear lube for those; good luck finding anything remotely close to that at a marine/hardware store!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by twilk
    Why is WD-40 so bad?

I use Castrol LG greased for any bearings, BB etc.

Is it common to use Chail saw oil for the chain? I've never considered it before but it seems logical as surely its designed to reduce wear on the chainsaw blade? Its 'stickiness' may be a problem as its being constantly applied in a chain saw.
    as alexrex20 said - it's a degreaser - it contains mostly solvent - what oil it does have is too light for any chain lube - it's great for cleaning lube out.

Bar-oil - yeah, the 'stickiness' might seem like a problem, but in reality, it doesn't really collect all that much - especially if you wipe down the chain (and compared to many other oils)
    take this pic for example - there seems to be more dust attracted to the 'dry' parts than the chain.

Pretty good overall for fine volcanic ash I'd say.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Justa Dude

More on WD-40

I was told during a locksmithing seminar not to use WD-40 on lock parts as a lubricant because of its tendency to remove any plating that are on many internal parts to a lock. I have witnessed this firsthand to be true. What seems to happen is that nickel plated parts are the most affected. The plating seems to peel off and eventually turn to goo that gums up everything that comes in contact with it. On a side note it works fantastically as a water displacement product. (WD = Water Displacement 40 = the 40th concoction that was produced.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    My recs...
    Grease - Molybdenum (Moly) Grease - big tub
    Oil - Bar/chain (saw) oil - Gallon
    Spray (for derailleurs, stanchions etc) - Silicone spray (~20oz.)

Where to get - any hardware/home builders supply store.

Buying any "bike specific" stuff is just silly/stupid - unless you like wasting $$
    +1

I confess to liking one bike-specific chain lube (Rock N Road) but have used Lubriplate grease for decades and a pump from industrial supply for a fraction of bike branded stuff. Lubriplate was suggested for Campy at one point and I knew it from maintaining expensive industrial equipment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast