Paste eater

MRP S4 vs G2 ? Quiet?

FOr those who ride 1 X whatever, wich one do you prefer? I Have an old LG1 on my Nomad that is totally toast. I hacked the bottom roller of it once I got a clutch der as it was pretty much busted anyhow. I've ridden it for a month or so like that and I think I still need the bottom retention. The desert chunk seems to get the best of the chain and I often look down and it's been bounced off the bottom half of the front ring or off completely. The later is no doubt do to a tired chain guide.

One question, which one is quieter? I absolutely hate a noisy chain guide.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Neither?

IMO and experience, the Straitline Silent is the quietest.

No moving parts to get gunked up, either. Particularly a good thing where you are, what with sandy crap getting into every nook and cranny.

Two of my bikes are only running top retention, two with top and bottom - one an MRP and the other a Straitline. I'm hoping the upcoming newer MRP variant plastic lower guide slider to replace the roller setup will retrofit - it'd be a lot quieter without that. And as above, nothing to get gunked up.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Oh yeah: again, for where you are, I'd way rather have a full bash vs. a taco guide/bash setup.

IMO, go for the Straitline (assuming it'll work with your setup) and never look back.

The lower slider bits seem like they'd wear quickly, but they really don't. They really are nice and quiet, and when you do need a new one, are cheap.

Paste eater
    Not that I don't believe you, It's just hard to imagine a chain sliding over plastic being quieter than a chain rolling on polyurethane :/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I always find rollers to be quieter than jockey wheels on lower guides. I have no experience with the S4 guide but my old System 3 was quieter than my current G2SL.
    I usually end up modding mine from jockey to roller. I have an S4 roller on a Blackspire Stinger and it is silent and has lasted very well in wet/muddy UK conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Not that I don't believe you, It's just hard to imagine a chain sliding over plastic being quieter than a chain rolling on polyurethane :/
    Just my experience, and lots of others in internet bike forum land have said similarly.

As said, you also get the benefit of no moving parts to get gunked up.

The MRP Micro guide on one bike is pretty quiet. The Straitline on another bike is quieter. It's also quieter than the Blackspire roller guide and e.13 guides I've tried in the past, and less fussy in setup.

If you're absolutely set on either the S4 or G2/3, then I'd go for the S4. Less fussy setup, IMO is quieter, gives you a full bash, less stuff to break/mess up with sandy gunk or slamming the taco into a rock.

Chillin the Most
    Or you could have the best of both worlds, get a Gamut S-Line P-Series guide, has the rollerless design of the Straitline with a poly bash similar to MRP instead of metal Straitline uses.

P Series - Gamut USA Store

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    G2 is old news. G3 guides are shipping now. You can use a pulley wheel or G-slide block in in those - in my experience the pulley is quieter, but the G-slide may be better in wet and muddy conditions.
    http://www.mrpbike.com/photos/MRP/MR...niG3051kpx.jpg
    Or you can use an AMg guide, essentially a G3 without lower retention. I use this on my Tallboy LTc in conjunction with a Shadow+ derailleur and the chain never comes off.

Both the AMg and G3 use a new upper guide that is substantially quieter than our older guides.

The S4 is a great guide too. Quiet and nearly indestructible. It's certainly the best choice for BB mount applications.

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    G2 is old news. G3 guides are shipping now. You can use a pulley wheel or G-slide block in in those - in my experience the pulley is quieter, but the G-slide may be better in wet and muddy conditions.
    http://www.mrpbike.com/photos/MRP/MR...niG3051kpx.jpg
    Or you can use an AMg guide, essentially a G3 without lower retention. I use this on my Tallboy LTc in conjunction with a Shadow+ derailleur and the chain never comes off.

Both the AMg and G3 use a new upper guide that is substantially quieter than our older guides.

The S4 is a great guide too. Quiet and nearly indestructible. It's certainly the best choice for BB mount applications.

Cheers
    Maybe I will go AMg. On my Nomad, I have a clutch and an old LG1 with a hacked off pully and I do drop my chain from time to time. That being said, it could totally be due to how beat up the LG1 is...