mtbr member

Move to hardtail....

Perhaps too big a question to ask, but...

Haven't ridden in a couple of years and just getting back to it. Currently on a 2005 (?) Enduro. I now have step kids who are starting to ride, and I'm now older and slower (early 50s). Also a Clydesdale. I can drop 20 lbs and get in shape, but will still be a Clyde. (Edit: ok, maybe not. I'm about 210 and will get down to 190. Was just reading that other Clydes are 300+.)

Going to ride mostly fire lanes, but will do some trails as well. Fire lanes can get somewhat steep, will be heavily rutted at times, and I may want to do 1-2 miles of pavement to get there.

My main concern is climbing and keeping up with the kids. No big jumps, no boulders, nothing else too crazy. Good climbing and good enough to keep up with kids as they start building skills.

Rode yesterday and was surprised how much I like the Enduro. Good all -around bike. Not a great climber. Probably going used, but might do new depending what I can get for my bike.

mtbr member
    hardtails only out climb fs bikes when there is no tech. from what you say a cheap hard tail would prolly be the best bike for you. check out airborne.com for awesome deals on new bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    i have hardtail, love it. im 5'11", 180 lbs, and go anywhere on it.

whats your budget?
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Budget is flexible. I could go to $2K if I wanted and just take the wrath of the wife. Would prefer to stay as $1K used. Easier if I can sell me Enduro. And I'm not opposed to a FS bike. Just don't know that I need it since my riding is leaning more toward roads than crazy, rocky trails.

I also looked at upgrading the rear shock on my current bike to something less bouncy. Not an easy task. Maybe dooable, but it's a custom sized shock so you need to flip the horst link over to the 69 degree setting blah blah blah...