Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wrench

Mountain Biking on the Cheap: Let's See Them.

First off, I just have to get something out there...

I've got a lot of hobbies, and each hobby has its fair share of elitists. Creative writing? Oh yeah, some people really hate being told that their writing style blows. Competitive shooting/guns in general? Don't get me started on Glock vs 1911 vs 9mm vs .45 vs AR vs AK vs M1A vs FNFAL vs IPSC vs IDPA and on and on and on. Hell, coin collecting even. If it aint mint it's not worth it...

But out of all of them, the one that has come off the most elitist and abrasive is Mountain Biking. I've had some HORRIBLE experiences in bike shops from the 20-something-bearded-white-guy-wearing-khaki-capris crowd. A little sample...

Before I switched frames and built up my bike, I was riding and doing lots of mountain biking with a $200 Schwinn Ridge Al I purchased from Academy. I felt like trying to upgrade the bike a bit, so I asked about getting discs on my bike at a local shop. One guy was actually trying to help (sorta..) when from in the back comes this guy...

He had been working on a bike previously. He decided to put down his tools, come to the front, interrupt the guy I was with, and tell me that my bike is a POS, not worth it, that I am just a simple "campus cruiser", and that it would be a complete waste of money to put something like that on my "cheap ass bike"

I informed him that he was being elitist and that he wont sell anything with that kind of attitude. He started stammering and stumbling over apologies when I said that I mountain biked on the same trails as him.

Needless to say, that soured me away from that particular shop. But hey, this is a college town, so there are at least five of these shops around.

Each. And. Every. One. has its elitist snobbery attached. It's been pretty dissappointing. It seems like I'm not worth anyone's time, since my bike is cheap.

Newsflash: In this semesters mountain biking class here at TAMU, on trails that range from beginner to technical and advanced, there's a guy that is burning everyone out with a $50 NEXT bike.

It's not the bike, it's the rider. Not the Indian, but the arrow. Let's get that out right now. Not saying the toolset isn't important, but the mindset is more important.

So I want to dedicate this thread to something very special: Cheap Frankenbikes.

You see, my bike is a franken-bike. I built it up from spare parts from my old $200 schwinn and other parts I found abandoned on campus. The newest thing I've added is a BB7 disc. I'm cheap, I'll admit it, but I'm also resourceful. I use this bike every day.

Arm of my reloading press got in the way in this pic.

My dog got in that one. He's not camera shy at all.

So the specs on my bike...

Front derailleur: Shimano DX100 I bought used for $10
    Rear derailleur: Sram 5.0, came with the old frame.
    Frame: Motiv. They sold these at Costco a few years ago I believe.
    Rear brake: Avid BB7
    Front brake: Promax
    Fork: Mozo
    Seat: From old Schwinn
    Shifting/brake levers: integrated shimano, from old Schwinn
    Wheels: Rear, offbrand chinese. Front, your guess is as good as mine.

One arm of my crankset is from an old disc-equipped Next frame. The other is original. Peddles are new at least.

It's dirty, yes, I havn't had time to clean it. Also, you may notice the cable leading to the Front Derailleur...

Well, the Shimano DX100 is a topswing and my bike was set up for a downswing, or so I believe. I had to do some quick 'n' dirty bike engineering with some old lengths of tubing, some washers, and a couple prayers. Looks wacky, but it works beautifully.

So all in all I've probably spent around 100 dollars on this bike. It works great, but you wouldn't believe the dirty looks I've gotten in bike shops.

So show me those frankenbikes! Those beat to hell cheapos! I'm tired of seeing pristine bikes that cost an arm and a leg. I could go out and put a $2000 DH bike on plastic, take pretty pictures of it, post it up on this site, but none of that would really make me a mountain biker.

*Dons flame retardant suit*

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would agree about your point that its not the bike, but the rider. Single-speed riders are a really good example........most of the ones I know will out-climb me any day.......and I have had a hard time catching some of them on technical single-track downhills as well......and I have a Full Suspension XC bike......

Its awesome that you have built your own bike out of used parts....actually, alot of people with "higher-end" frames do the exact same thing......they'll swap out parts and if there's is something available that is used but in good condition, why pay retail? In that sense, I think lots of mountain bikers have Frankenbikes........

I don't know where you ride your bike (asphalt or flat trails or steep climbs or rocky trails, etc.) I don't know how agressively you ride (do you bomb through rock gardens at full speed?) I don't know how much steep climbing you do. I don't how how much mileage you do. However, it sounds like your current bike fits your needs at the moment and it gets the job done.

However, if I rode your bike on my trails as fast as I like to ride, either I would get myself killed, or I would get the bike killed. Your bike has no rebound damping, no front disc brakes, not enough suspension for me to ride rock gardens at speed, a wheel-set that would probably go wobbly on me when I launch off my favorite trail features, etc etc. My typical rides are around 12 to 20 miles with about 2,000 feet of climbing. If I rode your bike on my trails, I would either develop thighs and calves as big as tree trunks or I would die of a heart atack because I bet your bike weighs at least 36 pounds, which would be fine for DH but not for XC style of riding.

It sounds like the bike your have is a budget bike out of necessity and that's perfectly fine....alot of us have been there. But to say your Frankenbike is just like the super expensive bikes out there is plain wrong. When you get out of college and start making the big bucks, and if you are still into mountain biking, hopefully you can go out and get a $$$$ bike......I guarantee you won't go back to your Frankenbike from your college days.
    Last edited by osmarandsara; 02-26-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Wrench
    I have no fantasies of doing extreme down-hilling on this bike. I know that I would end up breaking it. However, don't count it out. The places I ride arn't too cushy and I also use this bike in a rather urban setting as well.

It works for me, and it works very well for pretty rough terrain. And I've got $100 into it. I'll get another disc brake one day (The V brake on the front will throw me if I'm not too careful...), but hell It's good right now.

When it breaks, I'll be fixing it. But until then it's rolling along with the best of them. I've seen people spend 20x what I've spent to do half of what I do.

ride hard take risks
    Swap wheels and put the disc on the front it'll work better that way.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

dreaming of bottlerockets
    I did this, too, back when I started mountain biking.

The thing is you can fix all the parts you want, make all the budget upgrades you can, but eventually the frame will go because it's a cheap bike for a reason i.e. budget crappy steel or aluminium not engineered to be slammed into things. Compare the chainstays of these bikes with any "real bike" that has been engineered.

These bikes also turn into a big money sink once you start breaking things, and the frame will still eventually go. I was around 170lbs at the time when this Canadian Tire Special finally went (2 months in), so I took it back on warranty, sold it, and bought a real bike to handle the chunk and gnar around here.

I think any "real bike" that is 6 - 8 years old that you can get for cheap would be better than any frankenbike Walmart special, and I wish I did that back when I started.

Of course the rider makes the difference - I race on a 7 year old rig, and made it to Expert this year. As long as you're having fun there's nothing wrong with the bike you ride, but if you ride fast and hard, and want to progress, you will break less things and have more fun if you invest some money. At least that's what I found out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

Seeeriously easy Livin
    That is one ghetto bike, buying upgrade parts one at a time isnt a bad way to spread out the cost, and eventually end up with a bike you can count on, but I sugest you start out with somthing that has a parts actually built for offroad use. Rather that upgrading that bike further you would be better off looking for a decent used bike that would make a better platform for upgrades.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am far from an elitist as I started out on a Next from wally world. But I would argue that those bikes are flat out dangerous if used for anything other than leisurely street riding. I think there was a sticker on the bike saying it was not designed for offroad use.

I was pedaling pretty hard on mine then the chain came off the chainring. Racked myself pretty good. After looking at it trying to figure out what happened, I noticed that any real pedaling force at all caused the frame to flex making the whole crank wobble. Wobble enough to make the chain derail without the help of the derailleur.

Considering you can get a solid hardtail for around $300 I would never recommend anyone to buy a dept store bike.
    Last edited by jimx1cr; 02-27-2009 at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    My first real mountain bike was 1999 Trek 6000 that I bought in 2007 (picture here). I paid around $200 for it just like your new Schwinn, the difference being that this bike was really designed for off road riding. I put in a ton of miles on rough trails and two xc races on that bike before I sold it and it held up great. Like others have said, you can do much better with a used bike than a cheap new bike

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    I second that!

mtbr member
    Trek 820's are around $100 used and are pretty sturdy bikes. It's Trek's entry level hardtail. I started off with one because my car broke down. Started off as a commuter, then started trail riding and then sold it when it came time to move on as I had upgraded to a nicer hardtail. They are just built to last longer. Check them out on craigslist or something.

But like you said if it works for you then F**K IT! Roll it till the wheels fall off !

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have definitely witnessed some arrogant attitudes in bike shops, but it is almost always based on that individual's own insecurities. However, I've had a lot more great experiences in bike shops where the folks were friendly, helpful and treated everyone the same.

The only advice I would give to FNFAL and others has to do with the strength & reliability of the wheels on many inexpensive bikes. Those wheels will "fold" much more easily than you might think and that's simply dangerous. If that happens on the "wrong" trail at the wrong time, you could easily end up in the hospital. I haven't seen many frames have catastrophic failures but I've see it happen to bad wheels often.

~Disc~Golf~
    yeah!
    the chain routing and derailleur mounting could be a bit tricky tho
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Ride the dream
    I suspect (like it often seems to be) the problem is more with communication than arrogance, and perhaps an element of not liking what you hear.

In your shop example - if the first guy that was helping you was prepared to let you believe that sinking a couple of hundreds into upgrades is worth considering, then the other guy did the right thing by telling you that its not.
    Doing that by totally slating the bike (and you for that matter) isnt the right way to get the point across, but at the same time the guy was right to try and put you off putting money into it.

Yes, if it holds up for what you're doing with it now, then great - enjoy it.
    But rather than upgrading it, save your money to plough into something thats worth upgrading and will hold up longer term if/when you decide to push yourself further.

uhhhhhyea
    I started on a similar bike made by Mongoose, in fact I think it had the same fork. it worked but it's a pogo stick... only problem with upgrading that frame I can see is that when you decide you want a new frame, you might end up stuck with parts that won't fit. but since you haven't really stuck a lot into those parts, doesn't seem like such a problem.

Knowing what I know about that fork, that would be the place to spend a little bit... when you decide to go with a new frame, most likely the fork you get will swap onto any new frame you get. Keep your eyes peeled on ebay and craigslist, every once in a while some crazy deals pop up- when I built my first "real" bike I scored a Fisher hardtail frame, seatpost/seat , wheelset (rhyno lite / lx hubs), hubs for like 45 bucks.

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    yeah!
    the chain routing and derailleur mounting could be a bit tricky tho
    FWD

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    As an ex shop mech (and yes, it was a fairly high end shop located on a college campus), I'd say the problem (for bike shop employees) with cheap bikes is this; for every guy you get in who is ripping the trails up on a $50 Next he's done some nice frankenbike upgrades on, there's 100 dudes bringing in Walmart specials that were never assembled propperly in the first place and expecting you to make it work like the bikes you sell on the floor for less than you'r normally charge because "its not an expensive bike".

Cheaper bikes are HARDER to work on, have more / worse problems, and (typically) come with uninformed owners who take twice as long to expalin the problems / required repairs to. For me at least, it wasn't a matter of not elitism just simple frustration. I really, really like bikes as a form of cheap transportation, but don't enjoy working on the low end ones in a commercial setting; hence I'm and EX shop mech.

mtbr member
    How's your flame suit holding up FNFAL?

Right or wrong, at least you were mentally prepared for a dispute and man enough to post anyway

mtbr member
    Cheers to u FNFAL for sharing views. This discussion can be argued either way forever.

mtbr member
    I also have a roadie and see these bikes on the MUT. some of these guys can keep up with me on my roadie!! They probably like you are on a budget and on a mission to prove that they can ride as fast as anyone. I just wonder how much faster these guys would be an a true racing bike!

btw re Elitest in hobbies, I am into rc cars and used to race on road and oval
    There are a bunch of guys that think they are very special because they can drive their toy cars faster than anyone else. Most of them smoke and are overweight, I wonder what would happen to them on a mt. bike?

mtbr member
    btw elitism exhist at all levels. I bought my KHS AM 2000 for $1000 and replaced almost everything on the bike with xt/xtr pike fork and fox dhx shock. the lbs here that sells high end mt and road bikes, had just about the same opinion of my bike as your lbs when I brought it in for some suspension set up advice. He was very polite but scoffed at my bike in a back handed condesending way. He said XT was merely ok, but of course xtr is the best. and he didn't like my frame. I still enjoy my bike, although not a wallyworld bike, it does by elitiest standars have a cheap frame., my fram $400 his $2200. my xt crank $270 his XTR $500. His bike probably $5000. that is a lot of money. Where do I apply for a bail out?

my fun has a hurting
    i would walk out of any shop that scoffed at xt (or x9) level components. they are by far the best bang for your buck performance-wise. the main advantage of xtr and x0 is weight savings, and those extra fancy materials cost WAY more, hence the price jump. any shop that thinks xt/x9 or ultegra/force level components are no good, fails at life.

Wrench
    How's your flame suit holding up FNFAL?
    Comfy, a little tight around the groin, but I can't complain.

Let me share another story, this goes along with the elitism portion. I was at another shop, and a couple of guys were talking about a see-saw they had built. I asked them if it was out at Lake Bryan (the c losest trails around), one guy turned his head slightly and spit out "Yeah, no ****."

?

Well I asked them where it was at lake bryan. The smartass tells me it's on a certain road. No specifics, like between these two trails, just a nebulous "well it's on this 6 mile stretch of road somewhere."

They then proceed to finish their conversation in the back area. Pretty prickly shop they ran.

As for you people still concerned....

My bike fund comes from money I make fixing and selling other bikes around campus. Right now I have around $50 in that account, which will be going to (hopefully) a broken Specialized Hardrock I found on Craigslist. Needs repairs, but looks like some important parts are still there. I figure another round of me playing Mad Scientist is in order, if I get it.
    As for wheelsets? Again, when I get the money. For now I'll fix what needs to be fixed and stay away from 30 ft drops. Deal?

Don't get me started. If I ever have free time on my hands, I start tinkering. And from there there's no telling where I'll go.

Cheaper bikes are HARDER to work on, have more / worse problems, and (typically) come with uninformed owners who take twice as long to expalin the problems / required repairs to
    trust me, Pal. I have a metric crapton of experience with cheap bikes. Do you think I've got my hands on Specialized, Marin, Chumba, etc when I fix bikes on campus? Hell no. I've done what some would consider magic with those cheap bikes. One was so bad I simply set the deraileurs on one rather medium gear and turned it into a single speed. For five bucks, I figure I could have done worse.

I started on a similar bike made by Mongoose, in fact I think it had the same fork. it worked but it's a pogo stick...
    You think that's bad? My old bike's fork would bottom out on a two foot drop, easy. Yet I road it hard and harder and hardest until I started swapping parts out to make this bike.

That old academy bike is what gave me respect for cheap bikes. They are in no way as weak as some people, even certain people in this thread, seem to think. I committed some rather heinus acts upon that bike, and other than the Shimano SIS giving me hell occasionally, it stood up to all the crashes and drops and logs and rocks I put it through.

But like you said if it works for you then F**K IT! Roll it till the wheels fall off !
    As all things should be ridden. I don't baby my tools.

uhhhhhyea
    lol, i wasn't even counting the bike i had before the mongoose... Literally destroyed the suspension to the point where just getting on the bike bottomed it out. I think it came from Target. $70 dual pogo XD

Actually I had a similar experience when I took the Mongoose to the shop to look at some forks. The guy at the shop discouraged me from bothering with it, and to this day I'm glad he did. They ended up selling me a used schwinn Moab hardtail which was better in every way, for around $100. That's the bike that REALLY got me hooked on MTB... or at least held up for long enough for me to realize my addiction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It would be cool if you could take a picture of you on the bike riding the narliest, rockiest, steepest technical trail you have in your area.....I think it would make a lot of people believers......

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranal
    Actually I had a similar experience when I took the Mongoose to the shop to look at some forks. The guy at the shop discouraged me from bothering with it, and to this day I'm glad he did. They ended up selling me a used schwinn Moab hardtail which was better in every way, for around $100. That's the bike that REALLY got me hooked on MTB... or at least held up for long enough for me to realize my addiction.
    Very good and important point.

I'm purely guessing here - but I would be willing to bet that the guy who dissauded you do so rather more politely than the guy in OP's example.
    Not trying to be funny, but telling someone that their bike is basically not worth upgrading (and frankly they'd be better ditching it altogether) is not easy to do well.

I understand you wanting to be able to do this cheaply - and you can (relative to what alot of us spend, and I'll admit I do spend quite alot), but perhaps not quite so cheaply as you might have thought.
    Knowing when to give up is important - yes, what you've got there will get you around fairly smooth trails ok, but when you want to push yourself and move onto more technical trails, you'll reach the limits of what it can handle and what's safe.

In time, you'll probably end up outgrowing it and moving onto something more suited to hard riding - and you'll understand why so many people spend so much money on higher level equipment.

Enjoy it - but please, please dont spend too much money on it, it truly isnt worth it. And please dont ride it on rougher trails, cheap bikes really are a safety risk.

PS:
    If you're looking for reasons why people may seem "elitist" (being wary of riders on cheap bikes), and why many experienced riders will dissuade you from using cheap bikes on rough trails...

We've seen them busted at the side of the trail, many many times.
    Very few things kill your riding buzz more than seeing someone unable to ride on (or in serious cases, hurt badly) - you feel duty bound to stop and help them try to fix it.

Yes, some people are just looking for an excuse to lord it over you - but there are some genuine reasons that some of us will try to dissuade you from exceeding the limitations of such bikes.
    Last edited by EnglishT; 02-27-2009 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Here is my mountain biking on the cheap contribution. I sold my last bike and regretted it and wanted to start riding again but didn't have the funds to do it, so this is my compromise. Pretty "cheap" as far as mountain bikes go, but it allows me to get back out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jixdog
    Here is my mountain biking on the cheap contribution. I sold my last bike and regretted it and wanted to start riding again but didn't have the funds to do it, so this is my compromise. Pretty "cheap" as far as mountain bikes go, but it allows me to get back out on the trails.
    Dude. That is a damn good ride. I think more of guys on bikes like that than guys on Titus, Scott, Yeti, etc. I can get one of the chi-chi bikes, but I'm not that caught up in what others think. I've got a Weyless 67 for my lift-served days (which I ride even on big XC rides sometimes - 40lbs with Totem), a 2008 Haro Xeon that I bought for $660 on Ebay. These bikes work as good as any $2500 - $4000 bike all the other guys I ride with are on. They make fun of me all the time and I love it.
    Last edited by delnorte; 02-28-2009 at 10:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    Dude. That is a damn good ride. I think more of guys on bikes like that than guys on Titus, Scott, Yeti, etc. I can get one of the chi-chi bikes, but I'm not that caught up in what others think.
    THank you delnorte. I agree. It is a damn good bike. I say "cheap" because it cost me just about as much as you paid for your Haro. I'm very happy with it. I could care less about what anybody else thinks as well. I could have saved up $3k but it would have taken me about another year to do that, so instead I figured I'd buy something that'd get me back to doing what I love to do, RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    [QUOTE=FNFAL]trust me, Pal. I have a metric crapton of experience with cheap bikes. Do you think I've got my hands on Specialized, Marin, Chumba, etc when I fix bikes on campus? Hell no. I've done what some would consider magic with those cheap bikes. One was so bad I simply set the deraileurs on one rather medium gear and turned it into a single speed. For five bucks, I figure I could have done worse. [QUOTE]

Yeah, no ****. It was OBVIOUS looking at your bike that you know how to do good work with what is at hand. Congrats- like I said, I really like bikes as cheap transport, and its cool you can help folks with that. I quit working in shops because you generally can't in such an environment, but I still volunteer at a bike co-op sometimes, doing just the kind of stuff you mention above.

However, you missed my point entirely. Working as a mech in a shop puts a lot of pressures on you (to produce a certain amount of cash for the shop per hour, to not expose the shop to any liability risk, to NEVER bust a part or strip a bolt no matter how rusted, spalled, or soft the metal) and removes a lot of options (jury rigging won't cut it, unless its specifically what the customer asked for). Its no fun having to "work magic" when your paycheck is on the line and your options are basically "my way or the highway". As a full time (30-50 hour / wk) shop mech I wasn't working for bike money- I was working for FOOD, and occasionally facing eviction from my home. I suspect in the same situation, your fealings might change a bit, if only from stress. It doesn't excuse the rudeness you encountered, but it helps explain it, no?

BTW, my own bikes are pretty franked. Not a one of them has a single original componant it came with (one is literally a piece by piece replacement, with the last piece being the frame) and what is on there is most LX level stuff that is over 5 years old (10 or even 20 years for a few bits) that I got close out stuff from discount online sellers, who sell below what bike shops pay wholesale. All 3 have wheelsets I built myself, to save cash. I might have spent a bit more than you, but not THAT much more, and may well pay about the same on a per year / per mile basis.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL

Don't get me started. If I ever have free time on my hands, I start tinkering. And from there there's no telling where I'll go.

As all things should be ridden. I don't baby my tools.
    This might help stimulate you.

http://www.christinibicycles.com/resources-faq.php
    Formotion Products

~Disc~Golf~
    lube 'flingage' from that worm-drive has got to be an issue, no?

ride hard take risks
    lube 'flingage' from that worm-drive has got to be an issue, no?
    Now how is one supposed to lube brakes jeez the old fashioned grease gun is out dated.
    Formotion Products

~Disc~Golf~
    true...true...
    ya outta post this remedy it the "Turkey Warble" thread

ride hard take risks
    true...true...
    ya outta post this remedy it the "Turkey Warble" thread
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    There are elite jerkoffs in almost every hobby. I used to deal with a ton of those guy's back in the 80's. A lot of them ran their mouths about how fast and awesome they were, just to have a couple 16 year old kids smoke em' up and down every trail. Just because you can afford to drop 3 or 4 grand on a bike doesn't mean your a good rider.
    Last edited by Wulf1971; 02-28-2009 at 01:03 PM.
    Ignoranus: (N) A person who is both stupid and an a**hole.

mtbr member
    This is a great thread... It reminds me of how much has changed over the last 20 years for Mountain Biking.

When I first started riding off-road, I was on a Raleigh Bomber - not quite calling itself a mountainbike, but a 26" wheeled, wide (almost like a riserbar) handlebars and a 3-speed hub! I soon moved into steel frames (Aluminum was rare back then)... It was a thin framed bike and I even raced on it for a bit... Later I moved into Aluminum, started with clipless pedals... In time I adopted front suspension, then went to rear. Only yesterday I fitted my first successful tubeless conversion kit (couldn't get the first one to work)...

The point of my post is that... yes I agree there can be at times some really elitist folk. I can remember being slow on some sections of a race course and being shouted at by some 'roadie' mountainbiker, only for me to thrash past him on a later downhill (and then never seeing him again - so much for his abilities!). Technology changes and moves on and as a result the bikes of today are a million miles apart from what I first started riding on... and this is good!

If you can enjoy what you ride, you know the limitations of what you're riding (so you don't badly hurt yourself); then go enjoy.

Thanks for posting the thread - it reminded me of why I started to ride

mtbr member

???

Dude. That is a damn good ride. I think more of guys on bikes like that than guys on Titus, Scott, Yeti, etc. These bikes work as good as any $2500 - $4000 bike all the other guys I ride with are on. They make fun of me all the time and I love it.

Im sorry to inform you that neither one of your bikes works as well as my Titus El Guapo, and while i would never make fun of you for riding them, i didnt buy my Titus so my buddies would think i was cool, i bought it so i could crush them on the climbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by linecookPDX
    Im sorry to inform you that neither one of your bikes works as well as my Titus El Guapo, and while i would never make fun of you for riding them, i didnt buy my Titus so my buddies would think i was cool, i bought it so i could crush them on the climbs
    Bravo bravo...golf clap.... well said
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    I'd have to inform you that any of these bikes I listed perform as well as your Titus. I wasn't making fun of you for buying one. What performs better about yout Titus besides market hype and non-necessary features?
    I'm pretty sure they hold up better to abuse than Titus too.
    That's why all my buddies Titus and Ellsworth frames are breaking and being replaced 2 - 3 times per rider (no exaggeration). Hey, those bikes are fine but you're being "marketed" into thinking they are really "better performers" or have "better builds". I ride their bikes and they ride mine. We all know how each others' bikes ride.
    I like how your "bike" supposedly allows you to crush people on climbs. That would be you - the rider - crushing people on climbs, wether you were on a $1000 bike or a $4000 bike. also, the statement below doesn't seem to qualify you for your above post:
    I also have to admit that I have'nt ridden any of the new six inchers that resemble the EG.....But From my experience on board the guapo id say it can do pretty much anything you want it to. Its versatility is its biggest strength in my opinion.
    Mine is built pretty light, but i plan on changing that soon. My climbing skills arent the greatest, but my abilities seem to magnified while riding my guapo. And my confifence on the downhills is through the roof, I have to be careful because the bike will take on anything in its path, and sometimes i'm not up to the task. I went to Blackrock last week, and my buddy Dominated on his Guapo built a little heavier, numerous 15 foot drops and 20-30 foot gappers. Wish I could say the same, but i tamed a few 6-8 foot drops and gnarly skinnies. anyways, you can build this bike to do anything you want.
    My Haro is a newer 6 inch all-mtn bike and climbs very efficiently. My old Weyless 67 is burly as hell and is made and spec'ed to ride the same terrain as the El Guapo. These 2 bikes ride sick terrain in the Rocky Mountains all the time. I'd let you ride both of them and see for yourself. There's plenty of pics throughout the New Mexico forum of them rocking the house.
    Last edited by delnorte; 02-28-2009 at 11:43 PM.

banned
    Jun 2008
    the elitist group exists heavily on the internet and in bike shops. Ever notice nearly every mofo on here does that 20 ft huck at the freeride spots, or makes the black diamonds at whistler seem easy, or can do pro level xc time? Same for the guys in the shop, the hardcore riders that are too good to be seen at the local trail. But never fear they are pros. Don't judge your bike by what people online say about it or guys in bike shops. Only listen to what the people you ride with say.

in this thread I think i saw someone post something saying something along the lines of " if i had those rims they'd be taco'd in no time" -- that statement imo is a prime example of an e-rider. Chances are that person quite do what they say.

as far as bike shops trek & specialized dealers are the worst. I went to the trek shop for something and the guy told me "jamis is no good you should've gotten a trek". I said "na treks are pieces of ****". you shouldve seen the jaws drop. Most will probably disagree with me but buy all your stuff online. When you do go to a bike shop and they treat you like ****, dish it back. Ask them why you've never seen em at a trail or tell them straight up they're idiots. Sorry people I'm a dick but never will you hear me criticizing someone elses ride.

and to the op, I'm glad to see you happy with your bike and having the balls to post up on here. I wish I could say the same. I'm still spending hundreds & hundreds of dollars on parts for already nice bikes still to get looked down upon by people i dont ride with.

edit: i don't really think treks are pieces of ****.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Props to the OP for riding! Don't worry about anyone else, as long as you're riding and having fun on your bike, that is all that matters.

I only purchase parts/frames on clearance or used, so I really don't have much money into my rides as I otherwise might have. But I do like reading about everyone else's bling bikes on MTBR because it's usually a bit more interesting than that boring Trek/Specialized/etc mid-range bike that EVERYONE is riding. I also like reading about the other extreme end of the spectrum...bikes like yours, or bikes built up with a frame found in the dumpster, etc.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of my reply was...but enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    That's why all my buddies Titus and Ellsworth frames are breaking and being replaced
    I like how your "bike" supposedly allows you to crush people on climbs. That would be you - the rider - crushing people on climbs, wether you were on a $1000 bike or a $4000 bike..
    First ill say that i was not questioning your riding abilities, just comparing rigs.
    anyways, in the context of that post i believe we were discussing 6.6, ASX, Moment and no i have not ridden any of those. But I have ridden numerous FS and Hardtail bikes, own a variety of bikes, and im not even going to start on the "is it the rider or is it the bike" issue.

One bike i do have experience with is a Specialized Enduro. Similar traver, pretty close in weight, FSR suspension, same general build type, and I can honestly say that in direct comparison, El Guapo outperforms Enduro, IMO, for my style. That is not marketing hype. More active suspension feel, less flex in rear triangle, amazing traction while climbing, those are not usless adjustable features. While your Haro is definitley comparable in spec and intended use, i just dont think it could perform as well under the same conditions, same rider etc. I bet if you paid attention to the details you could feel the difference whil riding Guapo. As for your other bike, i dont even thinks its a question really, no matter the trail or stunt.

As for Titus frames breaking left and right like you say, i have not had a single negative experience with my frames integrity. I feel like I have a pretty aggressive trail style, and tame 6-8 foot drops on occasion, and even sometimes do stupid urban sh*t on my titus.Ive managed to destroy two Pearl shox. My friend is seriously talented rider, and has rode some pretty amazing lines and stunts at Post Canyon, Blackrock, and other freeride areas around here on his Guapo. Nary a scratch.

mtbr member
    First ill say that i was not questioning your riding abilities, just comparing rigs.
    anyways, in the context of that post i believe we were discussing 6.6, ASX, Moment and no i have not ridden any of those. But I have ridden numerous FS and Hardtail bikes, own a variety of bikes, and im not even going to start on the "is it the rider or is it the bike" issue.

One bike i do have experience with is a Specialized Enduro. Similar traver, pretty close in weight, FSR suspension, same general build type, and I can honestly say that in direct comparison, El Guapo outperforms Enduro, IMO, for my style. That is not marketing hype. More active suspension feel, less flex in rear triangle, amazing traction while climbing, those are not usless adjustable features. While your Haro is definitley comparable in spec and intended use, i just dont think it could perform as well under the same conditions, same rider etc. I bet if you paid attention to the details you could feel the difference whil riding Guapo. As for your other bike, i dont even thinks its a question really, no matter the trail or stunt.

As for Titus frames breaking left and right like you say, i have not had a single negative experience with my frames integrity. I feel like I have a pretty aggressive trail style, and tame 6-8 foot drops on occasion, and even sometimes do stupid urban sh*t on my titus.Ive managed to destroy two Pearl shox. My friend is seriously talented rider, and has rode some pretty amazing lines and stunts at Post Canyon, Blackrock, and other freeride areas around here on his Guapo. Nary a scratch.
    My 2008 Haro Xeon is specifically designed to get awesome traction while climbing (and it does, trust me), rear triangle does not flex & suspension can be as active/work at whatever rates I want to set it at (came with a Pearl, just like your $4000 bike). $660 on Ebay. I'm doing drops and hucks with my Turner, Titus, Intense riding buddies. You're gonna have to be more specific than that. Let's hear your specific examples. Remember, rear shocks are components. Components are replaceable rider-chosen options on a bike. So don't call out things like brakes, headsets, shocks, etc. I do plan to replace the noodle of a Manitou fork that came on the Haro after 1 more season.

The other bike I use mostly for lift-served riding, and I'm sure it will perform every bit as well as the Titus El Guapo on the slopes and stunts in that realm. It's great to see the Santa Cruz Bullit riders eyeing this bike, because it is a copy of the Bullit and works just as well.
    See you later. I'm going to ski all day like I do all weekend in Winter. Then I'll ride my $660Haro most every day after work in the Rockies (15 min ride from my front door) like I do. Have fun in your urban maze. (Dammit, I gotta admit I LOVE Portland). Just wanted you to know that I'm definitely qualified to make bike product decisions and my rides see real terrain side-by-side with Titus's and such all the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think the shop tech could have done a better job but as a tech myself i would have done the same thing. I'm not opening up my shop or myself to the liability of setting up a frame for off road components when it was never designed for that. There is a reason why cheap bikes have stickers that state they're not for off road use. I've nasty crash picture of wally specials having frame failures and the injuries inflicted on their riders.

mtbr member
    I'm going to ski all day like I do all weekend in Winter. Then I'll ride ......most every day after work in the Rockies (15 min ride from my front door)
    <-------------Jealous . Trying to move to Enterprise Oregon, in the Wallawa Mountains. OMG the most amazing trails. Id move to Oakridge but theres no where to work.

You have 2 bikes to do 2 different things. Great. I can do both those things and so much more, at a high level on my 1 bike.

Awesome dude!! Just like the OP, props for riding and being passionate. Im sure your both talented riders and you obviously love your bikes. But i will stress, there is a reason besides marketing, besides hype, that companies make, and people buy high end bikes.
    Last edited by linecookPDX; 03-01-2009 at 12:46 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by cjeckert
    ...I've nasty crash picture of wally specials having frame failures and the injuries inflicted on their riders.
    Do Post!!

side note- the order of the avatars in post #'s 38 thru 40 is pretty funny

banned
    Jun 2008

side note- the order of the avatars in post #'s 38 thru 40 is pretty funny
    we meant to do that

Wrench
    Sorry people I'm a dick but never will you hear me criticizing someone elses ride.
    Anyone can let jackass opinions slide, but it takes a real man to call out ******** and dish it back. My hat's off to you, bud.

And yeah, my bike is a piece of junk compared to some of these bikes I see floating around (which are all meticulously clean for some reason....A clean mountain bike is an oxymoron) this website.

I'm not ashamed of my bike at all. It doesn't give me hell, it's cheap, it takes the trails/stairs/occasional exchange student like a beast. A really large, awkward, mutated beast.

And that's why I love this bike. It's an ugly cheap bike that gets me funny looks from the bike commandoes at the local shops. But on the trails I don't get those looks. Partly because I'm usually ahead of them...

Anyone who thinks my wheels will give out on me? You're welcome to ride it and try... And I promise, I absolutely promise you, that in trying to taco my wheels you would take this bike off of things that you wouldn't think twice about going off of on your $1-2k bike.

Gig'em Aggies!
    I know what you mean. I feel like I need a better bike because I have a Giant Boulder ($287). I love the sport and won't let that change though.

Gig `Em
    Class of `04

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kray
    I know what you mean. I feel like I need a better bike because I have a Giant Boulder ($287). I love the sport and won't let that change though.

Gig `Em
    Class of `04

I love this tread wonder how long before it turns into a my bike is better than yours....oh waith.....

not to change the subject but..
    I have an old trek Bruiser 1 2001 (I think) hard tail frame frankenbike that I put all the components I took of my other bikes (after upgrades or for cosmetics) the only thing I bought specifically for this frame was the CK head set, and that was more of a joke than anything, it makes a good contrast against the suntour and Deore derailleur..LOL anyways I ride it and I love it, I get a lot of stares and questions on the XC/DH/DJ mix of components...but hey, like I said I love it...and no I wont crush anyone unless I fall on them, Dude ride what you got, upgrade when you can and if YOU feal like it...

on another note...is this tread a joke...a test....or a simple Jest? sorry I had to ask

PS...I'm Naked
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Anyone who thinks my wheels will give out on me? You're welcome to ride it and try... And I promise, I absolutely promise you, that in trying to taco my wheels you would take this bike off of things that you wouldn't think twice about going off of on your $1-2k bike.

Still waiting for the pics.......

mtbr member
    <-------------Jealous . Trying to move to Enterprise Oregon, in the Wallawa Mountains. OMG the most amazing trails. Id move to Oakridge but theres no where to work.

You have 2 bikes to do 2 different things. Great. I can do both those things and so much more, at a high level on my 1 bike.

Awesome dude!! Just like the OP, props for riding and being passionate. Im sure your both talented riders and you obviously love your bikes. But i will stress, there is a reason besides marketing, besides hype, that companies make, and people buy high end bikes.
    I can do everything you can do on your Titus on my Haro. I bet it even climbs better than the Titus. I don't need two bikes for 2 styles of riding. I can do the same riding as you do on EITHER bike. Just pointing out that either one of my 2 cheap bikes are really as good as your $4000 bike when it really comes down to business on the dirt.

Your Titus is a sweet bike. I just don't need to drop $4000 on something that I'm going to beat the sh!t out of. I'm going to find cheaper bikes to do that to. The Haro is cheaper money-wise, but really comparable to your bike in actual quality and performance. I know it sucks to admit that after dropping $4000.
    Fortunately the Weyless 67 has held up fine with 4 years of XC and lift-served riding (besides the crappy Marzocchi fork that came on it - now have a Totem).
    I'll shut up now. You do have a sweet-a$$ ride, though. I would gladly ride one of those as my steed if I didn't drop bikes down rocky areas all the time. I just can't bang up $4000 worth of bike by dropping it down 12 feet of sharp rock on occasion and not make myself sick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Im liking this thread too, so interesting to see the beater rides that people use on a daily basis. My first ride was a fully rigid Specialized Rockhopper and I kicked some arse on that bike.

The OP mentioned that he was at TAMU, that's College Station, TX and the trails around there, the few that exist, are very, very mild with little technical obstacles, fast and flowy, yes! So a bike like he has built up will last quite some time in that environment, bring west on over to Austin and that bike would be dead in less than a week, it would be devoured by the rocks and roots!

Nonetheless, I admire these franken-rides and think its cool that you guys are rocking them out on the trails!

Wrench
    Are you talking about out at Lake Bryan?

very, very mild with little technical obstacles
    Munnerlynn laughs at you. Haha. Most of the trails at lake bryan are meant to be taken very fast (West loop trails especially, east loop is more technical) but that's what I like riding. The technical stuff is fun, and we have some trails that are pretty technical. A group of riders are constantly altering the trails (Bunch of old guys with lots of times on their hands).

I like the trails at Lake Bryan. There's something for everyone.

mtbr member
    Are you talking about out at Lake Bryan?

Munnerlynn laughs at you. Haha. Most of the trails at lake bryan are meant to be taken very fast (West loop trails especially, east loop is more technical) but that's what I like riding. The technical stuff is fun, and we have some trails that are pretty technical. A group of riders are constantly altering the trails (Bunch of old guys with lots of times on their hands).

I like the trails at Lake Bryan. There's something for everyone.
    This East Loop? I have nothing against you and I admire you for making the most of what you have. But that is not a technical trail nor a rough one (unless those pictures are not a proper representation of the trails)

Wrench
    Nice pictures. They show a few trails, yes, but not many of the trail I was speaking of. There's a lot of flat places out at lake bryan, not going to deny it. Most of the trails are meant to be taken fast.

Again, I'll reiterate. I enjoy mountain biking and I like lake bryan because it's great for beginners and does have some elements of more advanced riding. I'm taking my girlfriend out there to introduce her to mountain biking at the end of this month.

mtbr member
    Nice pictures. They show a few trails, yes, but not many of the trail I was speaking of. There's a lot of flat places out at lake bryan, not going to deny it. Most of the trails are meant to be taken fast.

Again, I'll reiterate. I enjoy mountain biking and I like lake bryan because it's great for beginners and does have some elements of more advanced riding. I'm taking my girlfriend out there to introduce her to mountain biking at the end of this month.
    That's cool. I wish I had a fast loop like that closer to me. I love the mountains in NorCal and the tough trails, but I would love to have a flat out fast dirt course with rolling hills

Master Blaster
    i ride a '97 cannondale super v 500. I got it for like $350 4 or 5 years ago. I have probably put a couple hundred into it over the years, but it gets several miles on the street every day as well as 2 or 3 trail rides a week (weather permitting). The trails are not extreme down hill or anything, but southern illinois has some awesome xc.

Captains Log
    Seriously, awesome thread man. I hope i dont come off sounding negative , but as virtually all full suspension Mt bikes sold at Walmart and Costco come with a disclaimer saying that they are not for off road use, Im curious just how much abuse one can take. So if your frame brakes in half, rims fold up, or your forks fall apart when you pull your front end up, Please, for educational purposes, post the details. Im genuinely curious.
    With my tax return, i just might pick up cheap full suspension bike on Craigslist and do this experiment myself.
    what do you find in a star trek bathroom?

Wrench
    Honestly, my rims on my 200 dollar Schwinn have held up better than the 60 dollar rims I bought from my local bike shop. I've trued my original wheels maybe twice a piece and that was over a year of riding. I've trued my new back wheel twice in the past two months. Also, that frame held up pretty nicely too. It's actually part of a big pile of parts on campus that my friend and I use to build bikes.

Also, let me make this clear.

I knew absolutly nothing about bikes when I came to college. Zilch. After enrolling in a class and breaking my first el-cheapo (or just getting fed up with it), I bought a slightly better el-cheapo. That one is what I learned on. I went from knowing nothing to being able to engineer a bike out of junk in about a year. Everything I know about these things has been self-taught through trial and error.

Much better than thinking about getting into mountain biking, going to a board like this, and getting advice from 100 strangers that may or may not be what you're looking for. No offence, but sometimes the best way to learn is by doing it yourself and screwing up.

ride hard take risks
    No offence, but sometimes the best way to learn is by doing it yourself and screwing up.
    Formotion Products

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmxer9
    Most will probably disagree with me but buy all your stuff online. When you do go to a bike shop and they treat you like ****, dish it back. Ask them why you've never seen em at a trail or tell them straight up they're idiots. Sorry people I'm a dick but never will you hear me criticizing someone elses ride.

You are as @$$hat, I'll give you that. The reason you don't see a lot of the mechanics and people from the shops out very often is because we often get "tied up" working on wal-mart specials so that we can feed ourselves while you're doing online shopping. If you're out riding, I'm glad, but don't expect me to be able to perform miracles and make your wal mart perform like the newest and "best" out there. A mechanic can only do so much with what he's given. Bicycles are very much a "get what you pay for" type machine. If you want the performance of x9 or xt, you have to pay for it. You just can't get that kind of performance out of the components on a cheap bike. The frames are fine, I could care less about the frame. "If" it fails, oh well, you're not out much. I understand that. I wouldn't want my frame to fail either, but I also shelled out the extra cash so that I have a lifetime warranty on said frame and if it fails it gets replaced. I've seen 10 yr old frames break after years of use and abuse, only to have the manufacturer say, that sucks, but here you go, and hand over a new frame, most times a nicer one than they had.

As for the OP. The trails in and around College Station probably won't cause you any problems, but go ride some of the trails in the Rockies and you'll understand why some of the bikes are built the way they are. Even XC trails over there will make your trails in CS look like paved bike paths. I live in West TX now, so I can't brag about what I have, but I grew up in NM and rode most weekends at around 9000 ft in true mountains. As for you being an Aggie, I'm sorry.

Guns up mothasuckas!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    hey fnfal i live in college station too, im going to school at blinn. my friends and i ride out at lake bryan all the time. if you need some people to ride with hit me up!

mtbr member
    Right now I ride a NEXT 21 speed that has front and rear suspension and Disc brakes on the front I bought.
    It was 50 bucks at a yard sale, just needed a new inner tube. I looked it up and its 220 at costco.
    So Heck, it works for me and gets the job done. I ride 5-10 mile trails all the time, and it still holds out on me.

I am currently saving up for a GT Outpost disc ATM tough, But I might put in some more money and time and get the 2009 gt peacea 9r multi.

err, 27.5+
    Props for riding what you got. I have been spanked a few times by guys on much lower quality bikes than I ride. More power to them. I have ridden cheap and cobbled together bikes. One thing they all have in common is random catastrophic failure. It is fun to put something together cheap, but if a fork, bars, brakes, or a stem go out on you at the wrong time your hospital bill will more than outweigh any savings you made.

I have moved on from being dirt cheap. I like quality stuff, it just works better. I will still get dropped by some goof on a Huffy, but that has far more to do with my beer belly than the other guys piece of junk bike
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If your at TAMU then your riding lake bryan probably where you dont even really need a dual suspension anyway . (03 btw)

And you don't have much in the way of bikes shops there either (as in good ones). I rode a single suspension most of my time there and saw plenty of folks riding cheap bikes and doing fine. If you go to somewhere with greater vertical relief then the quality might matter more to you unless you are in hard core shape. And remember sometimes people are not trying to be elitist. For example buying a titanium cassette for your original bike might not be the best investment as you could save more weight and get better quality for less money doing something else. I was always a fan of buying parts though and then moving them onto new bikes as I bought new frames

edit:

And BTW lake bryan trails basically are going in and out of creek beds some dry, some not, to make them techincal, plus a few ups and down the levee holding the lake in. I helped make some of the trails and make some of them better. The problem is that many of them are not fast enough at first b/c the builders made them too twisty so you have to go slow to make the maximum use of the very small area available for riding and b/c they walked when they made them and did not realize that it would make riders go slow as heck to make the turns. (like the rat maze trail) The older trails are fun and fast though.

<--My wife who learned to ride there.

Map
    Last edited by sxotty; 03-12-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Wrench
    Sxotty,

I rode rat race as fast as I possibly could, using my disc in the back to turn while hopping over the stacks of logs. There are definantly a lot of switch-backs, which makes it interesting. Munnerlynn is a bit more technical than rat race, but Roller Coaster is where I like to go the fastest.

And yeah, occasionally I get screwed by the long-arm of geometry while trying to make a turn at 15 or so miles an hour.

I learned to mountain bike on a hard-tail. I'm looking for a nice hard tail frame to ride on. The only thing I really dislike about my bike (besides it being a bit small, but it works for how I ride) is that it weighs a ton!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Rat race used to be worse (before it was even named) it straightened out as people cut useless corners.

I always liked blair witch woods myself for technical parts but the trail has probably changed. My favorites for fast riding were sunset, skinny dip, and goat trail. They were all quite fast and I could keep speed thru turns.

I would personally prefer a great hard tail to a poor dual suspension (especially if you go anywhere with more vertical rise think of 100x higher than the switchbacks up the levee). I was recently trying to get a hard tail to ride to school (yes more of that) so I wanted a hard tail, but it was actually cheaper to get a dual suspension than a good hardtail at the time. I got a kona kikapu for 400 the whole bike recently. It is worth being patient I have seem multiple decent frames sell for 200-300 and awesome frames (those normally like 3000 new) for 700.

plasma donor
    There are elitist pricks in every group, every hobby, every belief system, every city on the planet. Always has been, always will be. There is certainly no reason to try and justify what you ride. Not to anyone but yourself anyways. If you are passionate about riding, you will find a way to get the equipment you need, even on a Top Ramen budget. And even on your cheap resurrected frankenbike, you'll have more fun than the elitist prick who's just at the trail to show off his bling for his "passion" of the month. Some people are just ___holes. They can't help it. Deal with them as the situation demands.

Some people are just not great at communication. As has been stated previously, the fella tellin you the bikes not worth it is probably a better friend than the prick who is eager to upsell, even tho he may seem less friendly. He's giving you his opinion, take it for what it's worth.

As your budget allows, you WILL appreciate higher quality equipment, to a point. It's up to you to decide if "Mission Control" is worth the extra cash or not. But it's just common sense that a Giant Reign is going to be more precise, better designed, and offer a better ride than something you pull off the shelf at Walmart.

Just like there is no point in justifying what you ride to others, there is no point in trying to have others reassure you that it's ok. If you're happy with it, our opinions don't matter. If you're not happy with it, then you have some goals to achieve. Nothing wrong with making due while you strive for higher goals.

Wrench
    Some people are just not great at communication. As has been stated previously, the fella tellin you the bikes not worth it is probably a better friend than the prick who is eager to upsell, even tho he may seem less friendly. He's giving you his opinion, take it for what it's worth.
    Some people in this thread don't think too highly of me. Why else would they assume that I don't know the difference between informative advice and down-right scoldings and namecalling?

Sxotty,

Sunset and Skinny Dip are rediculously fast to ride! I havn't actually touched them in a while. I was thinking about sticking my girlfriend on those trails when she gets a bike.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkleyfan
    There are elitist pricks in every group, every hobby, every belief system, every city on the planet. Always has been, always will be.

Just like there is no point in justifying what you ride to others, there is no point in trying to have others reassure you that it's ok. If you're happy with it, our opinions don't matter. If you're not happy with it, then you have some goals to achieve. Nothing wrong with making due while you strive for higher goals.
    Dank the Bf man be layin it out rightchous. Totally agree and have been supportin the FNFAL one ride what you ride with pride but dont look for a worthless fight with chumps that want to knock you down. Love the comment with Ramen Noodles bro nail on the head.
    Formotion Products

plasma donor
    Some people in this thread don't think too highly of me..
    Man you missed my point.

plasma donor
    Dank the Bf man be layin it out rightchous. Totally agree and have been supportin the FNFAL one ride what you ride with pride but dont look for a worthless fight with chumps that want to knock you down. Love the comment with Ramen Noodles bro nail on the head.
    Been there with the Ramen budget. Hell, I'm on the way back there now.

Wrench
    I got your point, yet I am simply restating what happened.

worker A was teaching me what needed to be done about Disc brake systems (types, frame specs, etc because honestly I didn't know). He said my frame wouldn't fit them, so I understood that from the beginning. When we mentioned my frame, well that's when worker B came up and decided to give me hell.

I know the difference between being nice and being an ass.

And speaking of bikes:

Mine got cleaned! Riding in torrential rain and cold that suddenly hit Texas (seriously, from 80 and sunny to 35 and wet? God bless this weather) has its moments. But on the bright side my bike is no longer dusty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Sunset and Skinny Dip are rediculously fast to ride! I havn't actually touched them in a while. I was thinking about sticking my girlfriend on those trails when she gets a bike.
    Those are exactly the right trails for it. They are easy, but if you get fast enough they are still quite entertaining as you slide around corners w/o applying brakes My wife always had those for her favorite.

I always just rode the entire east side and sometimes the west as well. The west actually used to have even bigger climbs, but when they cut everything down on the levee (due to leakage) they changed the trail and made it less entertaining though it is still all right. Anyway good luck with whatever you ride I definitely used to have worse bikes, but it has been a long time since I had anything that wasn't a pretty good bike at least. Once you get spoiled and lazy it will be hard to go back to a heavy bike for whatever suspension you happen to have. (In other words a hardtail at 21 pounds is pretty nice and a 4 inch rear travel at 24#, 6 inch at 28# etc). Though on the plus side you will be in better shape with a heavier bike.

Oh have you been to lick creek park? There are actually some cool trail in the north east of the park there is natural sandstone there unlike pretty much anywhere else around there. I knocked myself out there trying to bunny hop across a creek bed and endoing into the other side when my front wheel did not make it.

Wrench
    Lick Creek Park? Off of Rock Prairie Road? I havn't been to it, but I'd like to see what its like. Thanks for the heads up!

I've been on craigslist and ebay for the past week looking at deals. Bidding, contacting, horsetrading, etc. I'm sure I'll get a nice hardtail frame one day.

So they changed the west loop up? I only started riding a year ago, and when I first started I thought going down those levees was insane. Took me a while to build up to it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll preface this by saying to build my bike up with brand new parts it'd probably be somewhere in the range of 5K-6K.

That said...

Bikes are a luxury item. I have an x9 drivetrain. Does it make me any faster? nope! I could be running shimano tourney and do fine with it. Do I need super nice wheels? not really, I haven't trued mine in over a year, they're not super nice (azonic outlaws) but they probably cost more then most of the bikes mentioned in this thread. I have a cane creek double barrel (one of the nicest, and also most expensive shocks money can buy) and a boxxer world cup (one of the nicest, and also most expensive forks money can buy) on a super botique frame (canfield). I go faster and harder then probably everybody in this thread.

My roommate has an 85 dollar haro hardtail he bought from a friend. Super used, haggered, and dominated. We kicked him some of our used spare tires, and he fuggin kills it. Am I way faster then him? Yes. Would I be able to go fast on his 85 dollar hardtail? absolutely. Would I worry about it breaking? nope! its beefcake. I don't "need" my 5000 dollar bike DH. I can go a bit faster on it, a bit bigger, but it really doesn't effect my riding abilities huge.

I love to see people killing it on inexpensive bikes.

BUT, I have alot more fun on my bike. Its way more controlled, finely tuned, comfortable, confidence inspiring, babe getting, and tons of other important things. Generally the people who have massive passion for bikes tend to focus on bikes, and want the best. Thats why you see so many expensive nice builds. If you want to go shred on a cheapo bike, thats sweet!

Some bikes are definitely a little sketchier then others though. FS wally world bikes suck. I am a wrench/sales at a local shop. If it works for you, cool man, but the reason you'll see such hatred for them is because we see so many of them come in broken you can't even imagine. Stupid stuff no bike should have regular problems with. If you don't care, thats cool, but the reason you're going to find so many people who make fun of them at shops is because they've spent hours trying to get crappy components to work, for customers who treat them like crap and are pissed because it cost so much (even though were talking charging half price to keep the price down).

So yah, down with cheap bikes, but there is a reason you find so much hatred for them in shops.

Love, Will.

PS: hopefully I didn't ruffle any feathers, I'm not looking to pick a fight, and like I said, its uncommon that somebody really needs such a nice bike, but its still a luxury to ride/own such a nice bike.

edit: also, I feel like nice/crappy bike debate should be regardless of skill. Fast people will kill it on any bike, and slow people will go slow on any bike. That said, its still possible to own a nice bike and go slow, and have a better time then you would on a crappy bike, and likewise with fast/nice etc etc etc. I think you get the point. Anybody can enjoy a nice bike, but if you don't feel you need one to have fun, thats sweet! Being a duche to others because they do need/want a nice bike to have fun is kind of dick though. As long as everybody is having a good time, I don't make fun of their bikes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Lick Creek Park? Off of Rock Prairie Road? I havn't been to it, but I'd like to see what its like. Thanks for the heads up!

I've been on craigslist and ebay for the past week looking at deals. Bidding, contacting, horsetrading, etc. I'm sure I'll get a nice hardtail frame one day.

So they changed the west loop up? I only started riding a year ago, and when I first started I thought going down those levees was insane. Took me a while to build up to it!

As far as lick creek park yeah thats the one. If you find a lake that is next to the golf course you found the area with the trails I was talking about. Basically if you cut thru the archery range (which is probably unsafe) you can access the trails from the east, or you can go to the main center part with a sewer line and then ride north until you hit a creek and head back east and you can find it. The trails are nice, but they are also short in comparison to lake bryan, but if you ever get bored there you go.

Remember what I said though you can get a dual suspension of the same quality cheaper than a hard tail sometimes if your patient you can get an awesome bike. BTW that bike in the pic of my wife I got for <400 it was full XTR with a SID up front and a hard tail. I got it years ago now she has a klein palomino. I could not find a hard tail with similar specs at all for as good a price now it seems strange but that is how it is.

ride hard take risks
    Been there with the Ramen budget. Hell, I'm on the way back there now.
    Hang tough bro your wife and son will help you keep it together, look to them when you need support you'll do fine.
    Formotion Products

plasma donor
    lol I got 3 sons and twin daughters. Going back to work would be a vacation. Unfortunately, it would cost more than a vacation. Taking a job at Wallywerld would actually cost me money at this point.

ride hard take risks
    lol I got 3 sons and twin daughters. Going back to work would be a vacation. Unfortunately, it would cost more than a vacation. Taking a job at Wallywerld would actually cost me money at this point.
    Guess you only have one son that drinks.

Are you working for a B-ball team?? 5 is a good start.

Stay cool bro things will go your way.
    Formotion Products

plasma donor
    lol I only have one old enough to drink, as of yesterday. He's not doin so well today.

ride hard take risks
    lol I only have one old enough to drink, as of yesterday. He's not doin so well today.
    Been there done that seen that gonna see one more soon.

You posted a pic in the beer forum, at least I think it was you.
    Formotion Products

plasma donor
    Oh yeah. That was the youngest of the boys. He sure thought he was cool that day.

cgrocho
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    BUT, I have alot more fun on my bike. Its way more controlled, finely tuned, comfortable, confidence inspiring, babe getting,
    That's the first time I have ever heard that claim made about a bicycle. Sweet!

I too have a damn expensive bike, but I'm obsessed and luckily I can afford it, though it wasn't always that way. Bike snobbery sucks, period. My view is this is the greatest sport ever, and who wouldn't want to enjoy it?

ride hard take risks
    Oh yeah. That was the youngest of the boys. He sure thought he was cool that day.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara
    Its awesome that you have built your own bike out of used parts....actually, alot of people with "higher-end" frames do the exact same thing......they'll swap out parts and if there's is something available that is used but in good condition, why pay retail? In that sense, I think lots of mountain bikers have Frankenbikes........
    I have assembled my current Coiler from bits and pieces - ordered from several different countries, fork came from some dude on Ebay, frame - one of those closeouts online. Many bits had been found in various corners of my garage. Most of my previous bikes had been made in the same way.

It is a fairly well equipped bike in the end, but its not like I have rolled in a shop with a wad of cash. Much more satisfying (and cheaper) to make one yourself.

The only hobby I had where I was not making any of my own equipment was skydiving. Even for skis I would mount my own bindings - and I have manufactured some climbing equipment I used. Just more fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Pimp My Schwinn

That old academy bike is what gave me respect for cheap bikes. They are in no way as weak as some people, even certain people in this thread, seem to think. I committed some rather heinus acts upon that bike, and other than the Shimano SIS giving me hell occasionally, it stood up to all the crashes and drops and logs and rocks I put it through.
    I'd agree that department store bikes aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

These folks transformed their Walmart bike into a time trial bike for road racing!!!

Pimp My Schwinn
    http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6...4775-1,00.html

An interesting article about people who use department store bikes as their main method of transportation due to their economic situation.

Invisible Riders
    http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6...3639-1,00.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A friend of mine has that same exact Motiv Vortex. Usually when we go out on the trails he is always the slowest in both uphill and downhill sections. Today we went out for 20 mile ride in a flat, paved bike path. I couldn't keep up with the guy. I'm sure if he had a lighter bike with decent components, I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with him on the trails. I know it's not just the bike, it probably has to do with confidence in oneself, in one's bike, knowing a part wont crack in two at an inopportune time...

Wrench
    I just weighed my bike. 37.5 pounds!

A bit heavier than other bikes I've rode on. I'm probably going to get a hard-tail frame soon to cut down on the weight, and to make up for the fact that the frame is a little small for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Do you know what bike this is?

Hi,

Just bought second hand, wondering what makes. Thanks.

Wrench
    That's a Equator Catapault I do believe. There's one outside my girlfriend's apartment.

Wrench
    Good news! I just paid 86 dollars for a Fetish Discipline 20" frame. When it comes in I'll build up my bike again.

bike rider
    This thread is retarded. Quit clogging up the AM forum! This belongs in the gaper, sorry beginner, forum.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    This thread is retarded. Quit clogging up the AM forum! This belongs in the gaper, sorry beginner, forum.
    I wonder if this is indicative of the elitism that the OP spoke of?

bike rider
    Uh, it's indicative of posting in the WRONG FORUM. You can't figure out what All Mountain is and that this thread has nothing to do with All Mountain?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Uh, it's indicative of posting in the WRONG FORUM. You can't figure out what All Mountain is and that this thread has nothing to do with All Mountain?
    Actually, I was referring to the "gaper" comment.

But even still, I've got to ask why the existence of this thread bothers you so much? Sheesh, most people would just kind of ignore it and move on.

Anyhoo....[ignore]lelandjt[/ignore]

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    there are some bnudget bikes up in here, that weyless certainly is not though ( i have one)...anyway, if you've got a bike, do all you can do get disk brakes at the bare minumum...other than that, 'it's not what kind of bike do ya got, but how ya ride yo' bike'..many guys here are the inverse of the last
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Sorry, I am just a beginner ...

My apology for asking you guys (you are the experts),but I am thinking of getting this bike now for US$250. Any advice?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozlearner
    My apology for asking you guys (you are the experts),but I am thinking of getting this bike now for US$250. Any advice?
    Your just as much the expert as anyone else here. The bike looks great for the price.
    Formotion Products

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0