mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Mountain Biking Bible?

Are there any book(s) that are considered mountain biking bibles? I own most of Joe Friel's books, they are great for fitness and tri training (which I've been doing for years). I'm adding AM to my training regemin and trying to find a good AM type bible or book. Thanks in advance!

s62
    mtbr member
    Everyone recommends Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance to me. I haven't read it, but for the mechanical aspect of MB'ing, you can't go wrong with that. As far as riding techniques, etc., I think Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Mr. Lopes is the way to go. Lots of recommendations for that as well. Offers tips on everything. Amazon both of 'em, and you the recommended links for more options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Mountain Bike like a Champion by Ned Overend is pretty good for riding technique.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Try

www.leelikesbikes.com

There's a book by Lopes excellent and has taken my riding up a few notches.

Life is Good
    Definitely Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Lopes and Lee. It's the perfect, quintessential mountain biking bible.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

ride hard take risks
    More Beer.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

the goose is loose!
    me.

s62
    mtbr member
    I just ordered Mastering Mountain Bikes Skills, by Lopes and Lee, Mountain Bike Like a Champion, by Overend, Mountain Bike Magazine's Complete Guide To Mountain Biking Skills: Expert Tips On Conquering Curves, Corners, Dips, Descents, Hills, Water Hazards, And Other All-Terrain Challenges, by the Mountain Bike Magazine editors, and Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance, by Lennard Zinn.
    I will let you know what I think of all of them in a couple of weeks.
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, I bought 2 mountain bike books this week, Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Lopes and The Mountain Biker's Training Bible by Joe Friel. Here's what I see about these 2 books so far.

Lopes book: Lots of nice color pictures, good for learning techinque. Skill level ranges from novice to expert. Doesn't cover much beyond technique, which is ok for me as far as this book goes.

Friel's book: 0 technique, but lots of training. This book covers training for mountain biking from A to Z, very comprehensive. Covers training from the novice level to the olympic athlete level. When I say this book covers training I mean it covers all the necessary info you need to gain muscle endurance, strength, and aerobic endurance. Sometimes it gets very technical, but this is a book you can definately grow with. Excellent book!!

I already own a book about sports nutrition. Nutrition for the Endurance Athlete by Monique Ryan. This book covers anything and everything you will ever want or need to know about sports nutrition. It's amazing how much you think you know about something like eating and sport nutrition but in reality you know nothing. Excellent book.

These 3 books definately compliment each other. I feel that they are the next best thing to having a personal trainer.

I skimmed the book Mountain Bike Like a Champion by Ned Overend but wasn't very impressed. It looked like an entry level book. Also looked like it would be hard to follow his advice on technique. No good pictures. Didn't buy it.