mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Mountain bike pedals for five ten shoes

Hi there,
    New biker here. I have decided to get a pair of five ten shoes in order to avoid clipless and i would like to know what flat pedals out there will fit well with these shoes.

Also i notice that there are some small wholes on the bottom of the shoe and i am not sure what this has to do with the pedal.
    Mountain bike pedals for five ten shoes-13892_5046-freerider-orangecrush-06-web-1361291709.jpg
    My budget for flat pedals is around 50 usd

Need your feeback please
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Anything with big pins or spikes will do.

rock it up

Canfield brothers Make it a kick butt flat, super thin, with removable traction studs. I wear 5-10's with them and could not be happier with the combo.
    Last edited by 4Zoutside; 07-06-2013 at 07:26 AM.
    "We are the architects of our own fate right now. We're where we are because we deserve to be there"

LCW
    mtbr member

I run Saint M80 pedals with my FiveTens... Outstanding grip, and you can find the Saints for under 80

2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member
    in your budget....Wellgo MG-1. That being said I own both of the previous posted pedals on my 2 bikes with 5.10s and both work great
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    I think the main thing to look for in your budget would be removable/replaceable pins. It really is amazing the grip you get with 5.10's, even on not so great pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Two things I would look for in pedals:
    - Concave surface, where the middle (spindle area) is lower the front/rear edges. This gives a nice cradle for your foot.
    - Pins that are removable from the backside. In the event that you need to replace a pin, it is much easier to do from the backside. The Shimano Saint pedal pictured above has what I am talking about.

squish, squish in da fish
    if you are stuck to $50 & can't find concave then you can create a concave by using longer pins on the perimeter and shorter on the middle. the soles of the freeriders also are uniquely formed to hold the pedal also. hold the sole horizontally & look down the plane. this is why concave pedals work better

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    LG1+ Pedals | the hive
    These get my vote! I've had them almost a year and absolutely love them

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    I run Saint M80 pedals with my FiveTens... Outstanding grip, and you can find the Saints for under 80

I run these with my 5:10 and love them! I kept the 1 spacer in and my feet stick and I can still bail if need be

mtbr member
    i have the Saints too, love them, and i havent even removed the washers to make the pins stick out more. paid $65 for them on Amazon

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Gee guys, I see the really expensive e13 and Canfield pedals and made it into the <$50 thread, but you left out 26 Predators and Ti spindle upgrades.

The beauty of 510s is that they work with just about any shoe w/ pins.

Depending on what country you are shopping in, you might find good pedal buys from Superstar, HT, VP, Wellgo. Nukeproof Electron plastic body metal pins? Looks good. Same pedal offered by Deity in USA.

Had a good experience personally w/ Wellgo MG-1s. Using the Saints everyone's talking about right now, but tough to find for under $50.

The holes on the bottom of those 510s are for the same thing the low tread on any shoe is for: It's a place for water to go so it doesn't get between the shoe rubber and the surface you are walking on. The tread also reportedly increases pedal grip a little, which is why the ball of the foot on the newest 510 Freeriders is slick.

mtbr member

Re: Mountain bike pedals for five ten shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Snfoilhat View Post
    Gee guys, I see the really expensive e13 and Canfield pedals and made it into the <$50 thread, but you left out 26 Predators and Ti spindle upgrades.

Had a good experience personally w/ Wellgo MG-1s. Using the Saints everyone's talking about right now, but tough to find for under $50.
    Nobody reads anymore

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i ordered this pair of pedals and i'm very happy. not a bling but sealed bearings and reliable tank-like toughness is a thumbsup

Name:  240_welb42_0.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  15.4 KB

Wellgo B184 Flat Pedals | Wellgo | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

there's other models in the same sale price, just different designs and pins.

mtbr member
    +1 to any pedal with removable pins. so you can change them out when the get bent/rounded off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Edit I fawking fail. Sorry I missed your budget.

Most any shoes work great with these shin shredders. Skyscrapers!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just have one ride now wearing my FiveTen Impacts but the grip was worlds better than the running shoes I was wearing previously. The pedals I'm using are Straitline Platforms.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I use Baron 5;10 on Wellgo MG-1 mags. They are absolutely fantastic pedals, really tough, light weight, very gripping but I've never suffered any significant gashes of the teeth like I did with them V12 things which sucked.

Wellgo MG-1s mags sell for about 28-30 on ebay whatever that is in dollars nowadays.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Deity Compounds. Light, thin, grippy and under $50.

mtbr member
    A pair of these bad boys from Moove..... they are a nice big size, cant go wrong, I bought the alloy pins to make them a bit lighter.

Moove Components Torque Thru-pin flat pedals for MTB, DH,

mtbr member

i love fiveten freerider

im so glad i bought a pair of fiveten freerider. i really love them and i feel they are as efficient as clipless shoes with clipless pedals. honestly i hate clipless pedals. i ride with canfield bro's mag pedals and they work great with the fiveten freerider scribble
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain bike pedals for five ten shoes-img_2659.jpg  

Mountain bike pedals for five ten shoes-img_2660.jpg  

Mountain bike pedals for five ten shoes-img_2671.jpg  

Mountain bike pedals for five ten shoes-img_2672.jpg  

Mountain bike pedals for five ten shoes-img_2673.jpg  

Mountain bike pedals for five ten shoes-img_2677.jpg  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    I use Azonic 420's or Answer Rove's with five ten impact's or Sam Hill's depending what I'm riding. My 420's are 3 years old now with no issue's
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Mountain bike pedals for five ten shoes-1242395429182-1gea0tjktd2st-670-75.jpg

I use Transition Bikes stepdown pedals with my 5.10s and I am glued to them. Very light too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    im so glad i bought a pair of fiveten freerider. i really love them and i feel they are as efficient as clipless shoes with clipless pedals. honestly i hate clipless pedals. i ride with canfield bro's mag pedals and they work great with the fiveten freerider scribble
    I ride with freeriders also with Speedplay Drillium pedals. They make a great combo.