mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Motobecane 2009 Fantom Comp DS or Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SL

I've had a rigid Specialized Hardrock for well over a decade. Over the last couple of years, I've gone out with neighbors and my sons to nearby mountain bike trails (Alum Creek, Ohio). Each of the trails is roughly 6 miles long, with bridges, roots, minor jumps/drops (3' or less). It didn't take me long to realize that I need to upgrade from my rigid bike. I would like to get something that I could handle (6' and 200 lbs) for less than $1,000.00. From trips to the LBS, I found only one that looked good-the Giant Yukon FX, for $850.00. But online searches at www.bikesdirect.com gave me what appear to be better bikes/options/components. I am stuck between the Motobecane full-suspension 26" and the Motobecane front-suspension 29er with better components and slightly lighter weight. Having experience with neither, I thought that I'd see what others thought. Does anyone have any good advice. The Motobecane bikes cost almost exactly the same ($995).

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by b8zlbubba
    I've had a rigid Specialized Hardrock for well over a decade. Over the last couple of years, I've gone out with neighbors and my sons to nearby mountain bike trails (Alum Creek, Ohio). Each of the trails is roughly 6 miles long, with bridges, roots, minor jumps/drops (3' or less). It didn't take me long to realize that I need to upgrade from my rigid bike. I would like to get something that I could handle (6' and 200 lbs) for less than $1,000.00. From trips to the LBS, I found only one that looked good-the Giant Yukon FX, for $850.00. But online searches at www.bikesdirect.com gave me what appear to be better bikes/options/components. I am stuck between the Motobecane full-suspension 26" and the Motobecane front-suspension 29er with better components and slightly lighter weight. Having experience with neither, I thought that I'd see what others thought. Does anyone have any good advice. The Motobecane bikes cost almost exactly the same ($995).
    Do a search on "motobecane" or "bikesdirect" on this site and you will have more than you could ever care to read about opinion on going this route.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

I have read the reviews, but...

My biggest question has to do with the benefit of a 29er with front suspension versions a 26 with full. Both seem to have strong selling points. I'm hoping someone with some experience in that area could provide some guidance.