mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Morewood Shova ST and Santa Cruz Butcher: Different categories?

I am building up a full suspension all-mountain rig for use in North Carolina. Very little lift/shuttle DH but a lot of pedal-to-your-DH type of riding, jumps, drops, etc. I want to be able to enjoy 20 mile rides through Pisgah national forest with a lot of DH trails and probably climbing fire roads to link them.

If it were you, what frame would you go with and why, 2009 Shova ST with a Cane Creek Double Barrel or 2012 SC Butcher with an RP23? I have a 160mm Lyrik and a 1x9 setup I plan to mount. Don't factor cost into the equation, but assume these are the only two frames available.

Discuss

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Shova ST with the Double Barrel. Given practically identical travel, the adjustability of the Cane Creek will more than make up for the extra linkage of the Butcher. I've heard that the Shova is quite stiff, so why run the extra weight of the linkage when you don't need to? I haven't ridden the Morewood, but it seams quite similar to my older Heckler, just a bit stiffer. The Heckler is the perfect bike for Pisgah with a properly set up shock. That said, you can't go wrong with either bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can anyone link to a 2009 Shova ST geometry table? Morewood changed their site around and I can no longer find the archive information. Mainly looking for top tube length. I am 5'10" almost positive this medium Shova ST I am eyeing is the right size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I may be biased as I have an ST, but I think the combination of the frame and the CCDB would be awesome.

Mine is a 2010 ST with RP23 and it is a really capable bike, theres nothing wrong with a sorted single pivot and the Shova can handle alot. I'd be interested to know how it is with a CCDB...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Morewood Shova ST and Santa Cruz Butcher: Different categories?-morewood.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    pinkbike.com/product/morewood/Shova/

for the geo. Morewood state recommended fork up front is 140mm, although I have run my Sektor at 150mm before.

mtbr member
    I am 245 and the rp23 sucked on the Shova. I have a manitou evolver isx-6 on it now and it has great mid stroke support without the weight of a coil over although the cane creek DB is probably sweet. The coil I would have to run on it at my weight would make it an anchor anyway. I like the look of the double barrel air tho! I also wouldn't go over 150mm on the fork. I have a 140 mm on it now and its not great for super steep short technical climbs like we have on the east coast in my opinion. I love my Shova, i regularly ride 15 to 20 miles on it. It is super burly and climbs really well plus it doesn't have all those pivots to take care of