Singapore
    Feb 2009

Morewood Shova or SC Heckler or others?

I am currently torn between these two frames. I do a little of everything from XC to DH.

any comments on the frames?

edit: just a note. this coming frame will be my first full sus frame.

2nd edit: after looking at heckler's spring curve, i may not like the feel of the heckler since i like spring curves which are similar to the nomad's.

any other frames to recommend?
    Last edited by jason6142004; 05-07-2010 at 09:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Morewood!

Singapore
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Morewood!

care to elaborate more?

Many of my friends also say Morewood but they didnt give me a reason behind it.

forgot to add that this will be my first full sus frame.

I Like Bicycles
    I'm quite sure that Shovas are hand made in South Africa, while the Hecklers are welded in Taiwan, but assembled in US. If you ask me, you can't go wrong either way.

I have a Heckler myself and am very happy with it; however, I would definitely have jumped on a Morewood if:

1. They sold them here in Toronto
    2. If they were cheaper (I got my ano. Heckler for $1,300 CAD)

If you have the money for a Morewood, then I'd advise you get that over the Heckler. Lastly, you're making a very good decision by going with a single-pivot as your first fully.
    Last edited by Thimk; 05-07-2010 at 10:16 AM.

I rather be cycling...
    have you considered the new "butcher" ?

its a mix between heckler and nomad.... something like that....
    Languages spoken: bicyclish, spanish and a bit of english
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJy_GDpbRvk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason6142004
    I do a little of everything from XC to DH.
    Last week alone, I raced my shova on a short course DH race, a dual slalom race, then on Wednesday did a XC race and another XC race on Sunday to finish out the week.
    It a great bike and really versatile.

SEI Racing

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by mtymxdh
    have you considered the new "butcher" ?

its a mix between heckler and nomad.... something like that....
    Mmmmmm... Very good suggestion there. Albeit, 1 lbs. heavier, if that matters.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by jason6142004
    edit: just a note. this coming frame will be my first full sus frame.

2nd edit: after looking at heckler's spring curve, i may not like the feel of the heckler since i like spring curves which are similar to the nomad's.
    These two quotes don't belong together. You can't just rule out a bike you seemingly haven't been on just because you found a shock rate curve. It's probably going to be a bit hard to find the Morewood, but you really need to get your ass on some bikes and ride them. You may be surprised to find out that you actually may like the Heckler even with that ungodly spring curve. They're both just straight forward single pivots, while I've never had the chance to ride the Shova, I'm sure it's fantastic, but they're pretty similar. If you're really freaked out by shock actuation curves for some reason, then the Butcher seems like a really good suggestion.

Just do yourself a favor and spend the time actually attempting to search bikes out to test ride them. Even a little ride in the parking lot will tell you a whole hell of a lot more than reading about the idealized version of their suspension.

Ride bikes!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimk
    Mmmmmm... Very good suggestion there. Albeit, 1 lbs. heavier, if that matters.
    not really. 1 pound is not gonna make or break you. one guy replaced his heckler with a shova on here. id search the am forum for him.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ... Lastly, you're making a very good decision by going with a single-pivot as your first fully.
    I've gotta ask, Thimk - why do you say this? Is it a maintenance thing? A newbie / learning curve thing? Most of my XC / AM / DH riding has been on some variation of single pivot bikes, but I don't think I would have been any worse off if I had been riding an FSR or VPP suspension the entire time.

P.S.: no, not spoiling for a fight here. Just curious.

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer
    I've gotta ask, Thimk - why do you say this? Is it a maintenance thing? A newbie / learning curve thing? Most of my XC / AM / DH riding has been on some variation of single pivot bikes, but I don't think I would have been any worse off if I had been riding an FSR or VPP suspension the entire time.

P.S.: no, not spoiling for a fight here. Just curious.
    Yeah, maintenance and the feedback you get from the single-pivot design. I used to have an Ellsworth myself with their ICT system and it sorta spoils you.

mtbr member
    Is not Heckler about to be superseded with the new SC Butcher? Which is adding the shock linkage, which should be a good thing.

I like their new suspension design acronym - APP, for Actual Pivot Point. Virtual Pivot Point be damned..

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah, maintenance and the feedback you get from the single-pivot design. I used to have an Ellsworth myself with their ICT system and it sorta spoils you.
    That's the kind of spoiling that I could get used to. Especially the Moment - that's one of my dream bikes.

But to clarify for the OP - "faux bar" bikes (i.e.: Kona FS) are essentially single pivot bikes. With a lot of extra bearings to deal with.