Zombie Uprising

Morewood Jabula & Sukuma, the alternative AM choice???

Now that I have moved to the UK, London actually for work, I am contemplating about maybe replacing my trusty SC Nomad Mk2 alu.
    A friend suggested I have a look on the new crop of DW Split-pivot bikes.
    A quick Google search landed me on these two new Morewood AM frames, the Jabula and the Sukuma. There's not much info on mtbr.com or the web in general apart from the usual press kit.
    What do you guys think about the Jabula, is it worth considering it to replace my 3yo Nomad?
    And how does it compare against the latest crop of aggressive enduro bikes (i.e. Nomad C, Mojo HD, Firebird, Covert C, Jekyll, Enduro, SB-66C, etc.)?
    Also how come there is a big fuss about Santa Cruz suing Yeti for the eccentric suspension design, but not much really about Dave Weagle's Split Pivot being almost identical to Trek's ABP?

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Subscribed,
    I would like to hear more about these also.

usually cranky
    i forget what exactly happened between trek and dw but i think that issue has been resolved. apparently the two are different enough.

Zombie Uprising
    Dave Weagle to sue Trek over Split Pivot ‘infringement’

Well, anyone to have tried this new Morewood AM frame, anyone? What are your views about them?

Formerly The Agency
    MyBikeStand.com just got a Sukuma for a project bike: Project AM/Enduro - Morewood Sukuma Frame Arrives | MyBikeStand.com
    MTBR wants you to know I work for:
    Morewood Bicycles

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Guys,
    I actually own the first ever built up Jabula. Have had the bike since August.
    My first thougts on the bike actually "holy **** I have built a Monster".
    I mainly ride all Mountain and have had quite many bikes so far. But what I have experienced with the Jabula is unbelievable. You can use the bike to just go and ride your normal trails, you can also just cruise around with the bike. But you can actually also go into Bikeparks and will be able to to almost everything a Freeride bike can do.
    The DB Air in Combination with the Split Pivot system is phenomenal.The geometry makes the bike really agile. The bike is not really lite. But I have never felt that it is to heavy. As said before you can ride downhill really fast. But you can also get the bike uphill. I have a 2x10 Race Face Atlas Crank 36/24 and I actually only really seldom switch into into the smaller gears.

If you can get the bike, just do it. It's worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I would wait to see what CC is cooking, maybe a carbon firebird. I've ridden a Trek remedy with ABP and i figure the split pivot is just as good. The DW link is better at soaking up the gnarl in my opinion. Then again all could change with a db air.

Zombie Uprising
    Eric any photos of your setup, please?
    Good to know your view of the bike is positive.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    For what it's worth, Morewood changed ownership a while back. Patrick Morewood is no longer the owner. There's no mention of Patrick on Morewood's website now? This would be like someone buying Turner bikes, keeping the name, then avoiding any mention of Dave Turner. I find that odd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    the jabula looks amazing... could be my new wallet breaker this year

Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    For what it's worth, Morewood changed ownership a while back. Patrick Morewood is no longer the owner. There's no mention of Patrick on Morewood's website now? This would be like someone buying Turner bikes, keeping the name, then avoiding any mention of Dave Turner. I find that odd.
    as far as im concerend im buying DW bikes, and id take the jabula over anything currently in the turner lineup even if huffy stickers were on it as long as DW is behind that shizz

mtbr member
    I've rode a lot of different DW bikes: Pivot Mach 4, Ibis Mojo SL, Mojo HD, and Iron Horse Sunday. They all pedaled phenomenally well. Better than any other bike I've ever rode. Someone else mentioned their ability to cut through gnar. This is super true. DW link takes on square edges and rough terrain much more smoothly than a lot of other designs. I really felt like I could push my Mach 4 and SL XC bikes a lot harder than longer travel bikes from other designers. DW link gives you more confidence for sure.

My 2 cents.
    OldGloryMTB.com | American Made Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    morewood jabula VS pivot firebird ... losing sleep over this decision
    Last edited by frgeoff; 01-04-2013 at 05:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frgeoff View Post
    morewood jabula VS pivot phoenix ... losing sleep over this decision
    How are you losing sleep over deciding between an "all mountain" bike and a pure downhill bike? Do you mean the Pivot Firebird?
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ^^yes thats correct, no sleep = type o

Picture Unrelated
    morewood jabula VS pivot firebird ... losing sleep over this decision
    Let me help you get back to sleep:

Buy one of them, for whatever reason, and ride it.

You can't go wrong, they're both insanely nice bikes and they'll both ride really well. Pick the one you like the color choices of, or the one that has shinier tires in the magazine ads, or maybe the one available at the shop you like best; it really doesn't matter because you're going to be happy. Now, get to sleep.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Im a mechanical engineer and design race cars for a living, this is my hobby. I dont care about magazine ads, or colors, or shiny tires. I have a 6 point, 7point(s), sunday(s), azure, and others - i spend a lot of time obsessing on my DW bikes as I was not happy with many other frames (2010 trance x, 2011 reign, 2010 dw 5 spot) so it really does matter to me

from what i can tell the morewood is the one - just harder to find info or owners near me (phoenix, az)

Picture Unrelated
    Im a mechanical engineer and design race cars for a living, this is my hobby. I dont care about magazine ads, or colors, or tires. I have a 6 point, 7point(s), sunday(s), azure, and others - i spend a lot of time obsessing on my DW bikes as I was not happy with many other frames (2010 trance x, 2011 reign, 2010 dw 5 spot) so it really does matter to me
    As a mechanical engineer myself and as someone who got to spend a decade in the cycling industry, allow me to reiterate my point: buy something. If it's not for you, flip it next year for something else. You're obsessing on DW so buy something DW. Perhaps it's the type of bike or riding I prefer but I have always found that the right shock, the right setup, and the right adjustments per trail are far more important than the frame design. I've had tons of fun on DW, Maestro, and currently back on a linkage driven single pivot but I have taken to swapping shocks like others swap tires (personal note: CCDB is fantastic for people who like to fiddle). There's nothing wrong with preferring a suspension designer or a suspension design; embrace your decisions!

Perhaps you have another thread of your own where you explore this, but you seem to have missed bringing your personal issues like how you like a bike to fit or ride or what terrain you like to ride the most into this discussion. Each frame design excels at a particular function, if you're climbing square edge hits all the time, you might prefer a different bike than someone with rolling smooth climbs because the kinematics of how the frames handle those situations are different. But if you continue to talk in general statements then you'll never get anywhere because it is no joke that both of the bikes you are considering are amazing.

I'll be buying my wife a Firebird soon, she fell in love with it after the Pivot demo wagon rolled through town. If you'd like I could mimic most of the other users of this forum and just recommend whatever I am using:

Q: Jabula or Firebird?
    A: Yeti ASR 7!

Of course you'll want the best bike for you. Can you ride your options before buying?
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    jabula on the way...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Booom!

My Sukuma
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Morewood Jabula & Sukuma, the alternative AM choice???-sukuma-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Name:  p3pb9342441.jpg
Views: 2508
Size:  107.2 KB

Here is my sukuma I just built. I absolutely love this bike so far. 28.5lb as she sits now. I would recommend this bike to anyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlongb13 View Post
    Name:  p3pb9342441.jpg
Views: 2508
Size:  107.2 KB

Here is my sukuma I just built. I absolutely love this bike so far. 28.5lb as she sits now. I would recommend this bike to anyone.
    Thats a great build weight. Can u list your spec?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sure thing:
    Medium frame
    Cane Creek DB Air
    Fox 36 Float
    Enve AM 32 spoke rims
    Spain Cray spokes
    DT Swiss 240 hubs
    Scwalbe Nobby Nic tires
    Point 1 racing stem
    Enve DH carbon bars