40 oz to freedom

Mongoose Black Diamond Double?

Hey guys, I'm looking to replace my IH Warrior with something for a little more travel, tougher frame, and something that pedals better. I have been debating a NemPro Double Agent which is perfect for me but the frame costs as much as a Black Diamond. So how do you think the Black Diamond Double would do for AM? Durability isnt an issue the frame is pretty damn tough, but how do you think it would pedal and such? Do you think 7.5" of travel is going to be too much for AM?

Any other suggestions for a similar bike? Ive also been looking at the Giant Reign x1 and really liking that too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I hate to say this, but it depends on the riding you plan to use it for.

I have a Giant Reign, with a Van36RC2 fork and 2.4, 2.2 tires that I use as a trail bike.
    It weighs in at 32 pounds. I run clipless pedals on it, and have no problem using it for 25+ mile rides or "all-day" rides.

I've also got a Specialized BigHit that I use for downhill, freeride, and general bike abuse.
    It weighs in at 42 pounds. I run flat pedals on it, I wouldn't want to trail ride on it, and a 2 hour ride that involves some pedaling & mostly downhill is typically my limit.

I have spent some demo time on a Mongoose Black Diamond Triple - and LOVED it. It's a fantastic bike!!! But, I would want it to replace my BigHit.
    The Black Diamond Triple has a claimed weight of 37 pounds. If I had one, I might use it as a trail bike for some trails, where I thought it may be fun - but not as a regular everyday bike - it would be too heavy for that application - for me.

If I lived close to Whistler - I'd buy one in a heartbeat - and it'd be my main bike

40 oz to freedom
    Thanks for the help dude, from what you said it should be perfect for me. It would be my all around bike, so I would use it for everything from trail rides to riding at Diablo.