Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Dual Squishy...

Money no object - AM WheelSet

If money were no object, what wheel set? I have an '07 Enduro Expert - Large. Thinking about wheels. I know there are similar threads about specific components, but I didn't want to thread jack...

Selling a pile of stuff so that I have a pile of money to possibly spend... Maybe...

Was originally thinking Hope Pro IIs, and Stans Arch rims... Trying to lighten things up as much as possible without comprimising strength, blah blah blah...

I weigh 220 now, Enduro is around 31 lbs... I'll be lighter later this Summer probably and hopefully the Enduro will be too.

Got a buddy gushing over I9 wheel sets and they do make a 25mm through axle front. So opinions? Thoughts? Rants? etc...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Here we go again......

mtbr member
    Edge Composites carbon rims. 400g dh rim, only $775 a rim.

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by gsomtb
    Here we go again......
    HAHAHAHA!!

I know... I see mostly posts on specific components. Hope Hubs, which Rim, blah blah blah...

Thinking full on wheel sets...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It's just a matter of time.
    I'm popping some popcorn and icing down some beers in anticipation....

Stay tuned!!!!

mtbr member
    Bolt-on Chris King with steel freehub shell, or Hadley, in the rear, Hope Pro 2 in the front and Stan's Flow rims.

mtbr member
    king iso, mavic 819 (now my fav), sapim spokes(I run dt swiss but i would like to try the x-ray spokes) and tubeless.

There are many boutique wheelsets you can buy but what it really comes down to is how you ride if you are a hack rider like myself probably not going to go with industry nine cause of the pretty aluminum spokes, mmmmm they are sexy though,or any edge carbon rim type of builds cause i know i will beat the hell out of them and probably cry when I scratch them. But on the other hand if you and a flow trype rider and dont encounter any type of disasterous rock gardens that are covered in muddy water(thank you new england weather) then gofor some edge carbon rims and some industry nine suff (if I9 spokes are compatable)
    So id say stick with king and some type of mavic rim and youll be happy.

let the flaming begin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsomtb
    It's just a matter of time.
    I'm popping some popcorn and icing down some beers in anticipation....

Stay tuned!!!!
    That was the BEST idea ever.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    All's quiet so far....calm b/f the storm?

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    gotta have king hubs, or hadley. hope are nice, but imho chris king are da shizzle. mavic factory wheelsets look cool, but are their hubs still made of cheese?

my current wheelset is hope bulb front, pro2 rear, black ano sapim double butted spokes, dt swiss ex5.1d rims, nokian gazzaloddi dual tires. probably shoulda gone hope bulb for both front and rear instead of more lightweight pro2 rear. also, the bulb rear has 36 engagement points vs the pro2's 24.

anyway, i love this combo, but only went for hope hubs cause i couldn't afford chris king or hadley. after 18months of abuse the rims are almost pefectly true and the bearings are still smooth. never get pinch flats. never had a tubeless wheelset, and don't really understand what all the fuss is about. slight advantage for weight weenies i guess. i do remember the early tubeless products, which were a real pain in the ass.
    Last edited by m0ngy; 02-07-2009 at 01:47 AM.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'll bite... If you ride a lot of technical trails or rock gardens, then you will definately appreciate the engagement advantage given by the King, Hadley, or I9 hubs. Hope hubs are nice, but they just don't have the quick engagement of the others. I have a a wheelset based on the Hope (dt supercomp to stan's arch) and one using King (dt comp to stan's flow), and while the Hope wheelset is about 200 grams lighter, I much prefer the King wheelset. I really like the Stan's rims ran tubeless with their yellow tape and sealant, and prefer traditional spokes, as they're available most anywhere.

mtbr member
    Crank bros all mountain.........especially if you got the right colour enduro...

http://www.singletracks.com/mtbrevie...lset/1615.html
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member
    09 Mavic crossmax SX, sub 2kg and very stiff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by G4VNJ
    Crank bros all mountain.........especially if you got the right colour enduro...

http://www.singletracks.com/mtbrevie...lset/1615.html
    Dang, those things are wild lookin'... Gotta read up on them...

I think the color would work... I guess the big question would be if they come available with the 25mm through axle for compatibility with the e150 fork...

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Bump....I'm interested in hearing more!

Thanks,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22
    Dang, those things are wild lookin'... Gotta read up on them...
    I did the reading and concluded that like most other things from Crank Brothers they have a very interesting design, they are shiny, fragile, and unjustifiably expensive.

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    I did the reading and concluded that like most other things from Crank Brothers they have a very interesting design, they are shiny, fragile, and unjustifiably expensive.
    That's the killer right there...

Again, as mentioned originally, Money no Object. Really looking to see what creative minds here actually put together. Main reason I asked... Not that I have money to spend right now, but one can always gleem some ideas from those more experienced. Gazillion threads here and on other forums about specific parts (hubs, rims, spokes, etc...). Full on wheelsets, whether OEM, or thought up...

Cyclist of Borg
    CK or Hadleys
    DT supercomps
    Mavic 823
    Resistance is to high a gear.. i mean futile

mtbr member
    Chris kings ISO
    DT supcomps
    Stans Flow

Erik

mtbr member
    I really, really, really like my XT 20mm wheelset. They always stay true, are light, and UST or tube compatible.
    "It looks flexy"

Ride on
    Jan 2004
    I can't believe I'm the first person to lust after an I9 wheelset. That is what I would buy if money were no object.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus
    CK or Hadleys
    DT supercomps
    Mavic 823
    I like it. Not the lightest setup but it will still be damn light and burly as hell. Provided there is a 25mm setup for the front... that could be an issue, though front hubs are not really that critical in terms of performance.

CB's are un-proven and over-priced if they are consistent with the rest of their lineup.

I9's are sexy as hell but there are questions about the spoke setup, same for the Mavic Crossmax SX's.
    Bike good, work bad.

banned
    "Money no object"

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by gunfodder
    I can't believe I'm the first person to lust after an I9 wheelset. That is what I would buy if money were no object.
    A friend of mine reached out to I9 about a wheelset to run on his Enduro a while ago. He just forwarded me their reply...

I9's Response:

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in our products, too my apologies for the delayed response we were closed over the holidays just reopening Monday the 5th, needless to say I’m still trying to dig my way out from a huge pile of email…Yes, we offer a 25mm axle conversion to run the Specialized fork with our Enduro hubset and our classic hubs which accept j-bend spokes. Please let me know if you have any further questions, I’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,

Brandi

Brandi Groff
    Industry Nine Componentry
    828-210-5113
    brandi@industrynine.net
    www.industrynine.net

mtbr member
    The Mavic 819 is in between the XR 4.2d and the EX 5.1. For AM, are the 4.2's too weak? I do quite a bit of climbing and would appreciate less rolling resistance, but not at the expense of rims too weak.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast