Custom User Title

MMMMMMM New Brakes

Well I finally did it.

I upgraded just to upgrade.

So I bought and installed a set of Juicy 7's. I hope they are going to live up to the hype.

I am just about off of the Shimano boat. The 7's are replacing the XT 4 pistons that have been good to me for 5 years,2 bikes, 4 sets of pads and 5 rotors. I had a 203 in front and a 160 in back. Now I am trying 185 in front and 160 in back. I've always had problems with the 203 flexing and warping under very hard braking but as soon as the rotor cooled it would stop rubbing on the pads.

there was also a small weight saving. Yippee. I think the only difference was the front rotor. The 185 was 84 grams lighter than the 203 and that was the exact difference in the before and after weights of my bike. Now it is 13944 grams ( or 31lbs 2 ozs ).

Riding in the front yard doing the slam on the brakes to break them in thing I was not too impressed. But these are new rotors and pads so I'll have to wait this weekend and hit the trails to see how they really act. I do on the other hand like the easy setup and the adjustable pad contact, that was nice to be able to tailor them to my liking. It was also good to hear the squeal fade out as the rotors and pads wore in.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just got mine installed/broken in this weekend and these brakes are butter. Dead silent with no pad rub and really strong braking with 1 finger. I cant believe the difference between these an the hayes sole I removed. Plus I got an 06 set for 235$ which made it that much better.

large member
    Been riding these brakes for awhile.... LOVE THEM. I am all Sram now. I was a die hard Shimano fan for years until the newer XT stuff started giving me much grief. It's amazing how much better the Sram products are treating me.

Thank YOU, Chuck Norris!

hayes fx-9 vs. avid bb mechanicals

Anyone try both of these? I am currently using the stock Hayes hydraulic disc brakes, but have some new Avid BB's (6") in my garage ... should I trade them out? Thoughts?
    I see you're drinking one percent. Is that because you think you're fat?

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by lusdawg
    Anyone try both of these? I am currently using the stock Hayes hydraulic disc brakes, but have some new Avid BB's (6") in my garage ... should I trade them out? Thoughts?

I've never used any other disc besides Avid, mech & hydro & I love them. Bleeding was a breeze. I'd have done it sooner if I had known. Unless the Hayes are just very crappy, I can't see th' mech Avids turning out to be better than th' Hayes hyros. MHO: Sell th' Hayes & drop th' coin on new set of Avid 5's or 7's.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was riding around town with my dad for excersize on his new bike with hayes disk on them. Those things scrape and squeel every time you pull the lever. Its great for warning hikers on a trail but its incredibly annoying. It made me laugh when he asked why my brakes were so quiet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I switched out from hayes hfx-9 to avid mechs w/ spped dial 7 levers 3 years ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made.