Thread: ML8 or Nomad??

oodles of noodle

ML8 or Nomad??

What to do...Oh what to do. I really dig both of these frames but which is the better? I want something that I can build around the 30-32lb range, but most of my riding tends to be of the windier persuasion. I don't really want a lightweight bike. Been there done that. Mainly I just want something that I can ride for 4+ hours and not be wishing that I had something way lighter. My current rig is a Cdale Gemini; about 37lbs. I used to live in an area where there was ideal but no more...
    I love lamp.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    My vote would be the Nomad. IMO i like the full length seatpost and the nomad is going to be a little shorter in the cocpit. And the abality to change shocks if you have a problem is nice. I rode a cdale Jekyll for a while and the rear shock was specific to the bike and only jekyll's used it and its no fun if you blow it out or just want a change.

So long story short Nomad.

ride hard take risks
    TNC will probibly be chiming in sometime, he loves that word Nomad.

TNC
    noMAD man

Already posted.

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    TNC will probibly be chiming in sometime, he loves that word Nomad.
    I posted this response on the SC forum on the same question awhile back. I don't know how to do a link to it...and I'm too lazy.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I posted this response on the SC forum on the same question awhile back. I don't know how to do a link to it...and I'm too lazy.
    A little booster

VooDoo user.
    Nomad. I'm totally anti-maverick.

TNC
    noMAD man

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Nomad. I'm totally anti-maverick.
    Just curious. Is it the company or the bike? I like my Nomad better that an ML8, but I think the 8 is a pretty darned good bike. We sell both so I've gotten to ride the Maverick. Spent 20 miles this past Sunday with a riding buddy who was on one in some gawdawfully rocky terrain, and the thing seemed great. I think the Nomad is a little more stable in really gnarly terrain, but the 8 is pretty good. I'm not a big fan of the DUC32 fork...too short and too soft...but it's pretty good too. I'd like to ride an 8 with my Van 36 on it to get a better comparison. Don't worry though...the Nomad's not going anywhere right now.

Thanks Dog...I took a slug from the stash here, and I was inspired enough to make this post.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I'm not a big fan of the DUC32 fork...too short and too soft...but it's pretty good too.
    Short as in travel or as in it makes the head angle too steep?

TNC
    noMAD man

Axle to crown

Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Short as in travel or as in it makes the head angle too steep?
    Yeah, it keeps the front end lower than I like on a 6" travel rear. It's almost too plush too, which kinda aggravates the low axle to crown even more.

VooDoo user.
    Just curious. Is it the company or the bike? I like my Nomad better that an ML8, but I think the 8 is a pretty darned good bike. We sell both so I've gotten to ride the Maverick. Spent 20 miles this past Sunday with a riding buddy who was on one in some gawdawfully rocky terrain, and the thing seemed great. I think the Nomad is a little more stable in really gnarly terrain, but the 8 is pretty good. I'm not a big fan of the DUC32 fork...too short and too soft...but it's pretty good too. I'd like to ride an 8 with my Van 36 on it to get a better comparison. Don't worry though...the Nomad's not going anywhere right now.

Thanks Dog...I took a slug from the stash here, and I was inspired enough to make this post.

Its the whole bike. I do not like the way the BB is part of the rear suspension. To me the BB should be in a fixed position. Reminds me of KLIENs of yesteryear.
    As far as the DUC.... They leak, they lowerr the front of the bike and they are hard to set up. Its basically a long travel XC fork. The QR front axle has to be just right or its your A$$. Nice concept but too light to be trusted for the type of riding I enjoy.
    Have not ridden the SC32 single crown but I have witnessed one of the lower seals totally blow out.
    Also if you have an problems with the rear shock you can't just go and pic up a replacement. You have to replace the whole rear triangle. OR do some major operating.
    This would mean loss of time on the bike.
    Last but not least I not a fan of interupted seat tubes.

I to know many people who praise its design and love the bike. I just don't understand why.

Just my .02

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

hey moment...

you are not correct on the rear shock. It can be taken out very easy. There are two set screws in the bottom of the rear triangle where the shock goes down into the base. Let the air out, set the triangle level with the ground so the oil does not run out and remove it. It is totally tunable and can be done at the shop with no special tools. Mavricks web site has all you need to know.

The forks were a problem before they put the new enduro seals in them but that has been fixed. I did witness two of them in Moab that blew up also. That was a year ago though.

I rode a Mavrick last weekend and liked it, but to be equal. I have not ridden a Nomad.

VooDoo user.
    [QUOTE=texheckler]you are not correct on the rear shock. It can be taken out very easy. There are two set screws in the bottom of the rear triangle where the shock goes down into the base. Let the air out, set the triangle level with the ground so the oil does not run out and remove it. It is totally tunable and can be done at the shop with no special tools. Mavricks web site has all you need to know.

QUOTE]

I was un-aware that the rear shock could be removed. The thing that does stink is that you HAVE TO use a maverick shock in the rear. Kinda SUX that you have no option. Once you say yes to the maverick rear your stuck with it. No upgrade unless Maverick makes one down the line.

I like having options.

T.W.O.

Good job! ML8 all the way

I own ML7.2 and last week I rode ML8, it was a quite an experience. I tried nomad when it first came out but I'm anti SantaCruz, though nomad was a good bike but around here people who ride santa cruz has major attitude problems. I'd rather spend my money on other company like Maverick, Ibis(My Mojo is on order), or Turner. For some reason SanCruz rider friends of mine knocked Cdale about short top tube, but last time I check SantaCruz suffers from the same problem. I own a Jekyll lefty and I love it. After I built my Mojo, I'd probably by ML8. last time I check I can build it down to about 26lb. 6.5" travel a dream to climb. I don't have anything against SantaCruz, it's just the hype people have. I think all bikes at the price range would perform wonderful to begin with. It's just the matter of personal perfference. Well, my friend that's my thought. Give ML8 a try you'll love it.

Dirt Displacer
    Maybe she got lucky......

But my wife's DUC32 has been trouble-free for almost a year now..... No leaks, it's a snap to set up, and she really likes the lock-down feature.
    It is a really plush fork, and I don't think I'd put one on my Nomad.... but mainly because I like the tall axle-crown of my 66, plus I like a stiffer fork for the DH's.
    However, on my XC bike I'd seriously consider it.
    But for her, since she's a small girl on a small frame, the DUC works perfectly.
    My one gripe about it is the odd-ball thru-axle.... not that it matters, since we don't mount the bike to a rack anyways. But if we ever did, it could be an issue.

Not a bad fork, all in all.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]