mtbr member

Mk1 2008 Nomad - still a good buy ?

Hi guys

Already posted on the SC forum but no answers so far...

A good friend of mine is riding mtb for a couple of months now, and he's totally hooked to it. He doesn't have too much money to spend, so the upgrade has to be an older bike.

We have found a 2008 white nomad in the adds, dhx air, van 36, xt brakes. The bike is not in mint condition but it looks well taken care off. The guy is asking 1250 without the pedals. Do you think it's a good deal ?

Thx in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drapeado View Post
    Hi guys

Already posted on the SC forum but no answers so far...

A good friend of mine is riding mtb for a couple of months now, and he's totally hooked to it. He doesn't have too much money to spend, so the upgrade has to be an older bike.

We have found a 2008 white nomad in the adds, dhx air, van 36, xt brakes. The bike is not in mint condition but it looks well taken care off. The guy is asking 1250 without the pedals. Do you think it's a good deal ?

Thx in advance.
    I bought a 2nd hand mk1 Nomad and haven't looked back
    Mine came with Fox Talas 36 and the crap design pinch bolt for the axle, I think the early Van 36 had the same design so you might want to check they haven't been over tightened and the lowers are cracked, check this thread. Mine where and replacing the lowers isn't cheap so I factored this into the cost of the bike and got money off.

Might want to check the bearings as well for that age, they're pretty bombproof but not necessarily a DIY swop as you need a funky tool to align them.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Thx mate

I apreciate all the tips. The owner lives 20 miles from us, so we went there this afternoon to check the bike in person. The frame itself looks great and the bearings seemed ok with no play. There was a metallic noise though and a little play, it`s the rear bushing of the dhx, also the 32t front ring looks like a saw, and the dhx felt really hard, i have the same shock on my Enduro and it`s a lot smoother, i asked the guy what was the pressure he had and it was even less than i have on mine, maybe a service is required. All of this will be an excuse to get some money off.

Anyway, the guy offered to ride with us next weekend, so my noob mtb friend will have the chance to try a Nomad on the trails ( jealous to say the least), that was very cool from the seller. After this, i`m out, it`s his money and his business.