mtbr member
    Jun 2007

... and if we just ... Miyata elevation 400

I decided to get into biking again. I recently acquired a Miyata elevation 400 mountain bike on Craigslist for $40. All I know is that it is purple and has 21 speeds.

It is hard to find info on the net about this bike, all I know is that it is Japanese. Can anybody tell me about it?

Did I get a good price? What is the value? Is it a good bike? What are the specs or anything else of interest I may like to know about it. Thanks

I have attached a picture if it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    it sucks
    GETOFFTHEBRAKESYAFAIRY

person
    Not a bad deal for $40 IMO, but I wouldn't use it for anything but around town and fire roads. If you've been out of biking for some time I'd say that this is a good bike to decide if you really want to get back into it. If you don't like it, you've only invested $40, but if you do, it can help you get back in shape while you save for a better bike.

-Dave
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbnick
    it sucks
    somebody's had their Haterade today...

Yeah, $40 is a good deal if your gonna use it for commuting. Honestly, I've never heard of that brand or that bike but it seems to be in line with an early '90s bike. If you have fun with it you owe it to yourself to go down to the local bike shop and test ride some modern wheels! Keep in mind the entry level stuff is $350 and up, my bike cost about $2k and none of my buddys have bikes that went for under $1500. Just wanted to make sure you don't get sticker shock when you walk in there!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks to everyone who did not have their 'haterade' for breakfast (rm-prick). Any body know what a tune up would run me at a bike shop? Also, to fix the gears on the right side that do not seem to be working?
    thanks

person
    A good tune up for that bike would probably be new cables, chain, and brake pads. My LBS would probably charge around $30-40
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm not quite sure from the pic what vintage you've got there, but the general consensus on the Elevation frames is that they're pretty beat proof, if a little heavy. I think the bike is worthy of whatever you want to do on it--it would obviously make a good commuter or fire road explorer as is, but I also wouldn't hesitate to slap a decent suspension fork on there and ride singletrack. It probably retailed for around $500. There's actually a review page here for Elevations: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike/product_18322.shtml

These Elevations were kind of middle-of-the-road, but weren't crap by any means. Miyata was a Japanese company that was actually known for some really fine high end frames, and their better mid-80s road and touring frames regularly sell for hundreds on ebay. Check out Sheldon Brown's site to learn more about how killer Japanese steel bikes from the 70s and 80s were: http://sheldonbrown.com/japan.html

FWIW, I picked up a super small steel Elevation frame for my wife a while back, and she's put it to great use on a number of fully loaded tours--long distance and backcountry. It's got oversized steel tubes, so it remains stiff even when loaded with 60 pounds of gear. I've tried to find some pics of the bike fully loaded, but most don't show it too well. You can get a sense, though, from these:

Oh, and maybe ask in the following Miyata-love thread for more info: The Koga Miyata - Miyata connection
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by albeant; 07-01-2007 at 08:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey guys thx for the info, I appreciate it.