mtbr member

mission III rear suspension disassembly & lithium grease

Got a 2009 mission III i need to get cleaned up. I want to take apart the rear suspension, but i am not sure of the proper procedure to do so.

Anyone have any suggestions? Was told to use lithium grease to lube all the bearings and pivot points. Does this sound legit?

mtbr member
    It sounds legit to me. I use lithium grease (from a tube, not a spray can) on my pivot bearings. I don't have a Mission, but most bikes are similar.

As for taking it apart, the first thing is to take out the shock. Don't try to remove the pivot bolts/bearings with the shock installed. Looking at the photos of the frame, it looks like they use a combo bearing shield + bolt thing. Take some allen wrenches and remove the bearing shield/bolts. You'll see your bearings right there. If they have little rubber or plastic ball shields that cover the individual balls in the bearing, use a dental pick and gently remove it. Pack the area around the balls with grease. Don't try to fill up every bit of open space with the grease. The bike will move the grease around as the suspension cycles. A blob the size of a pea will be plenty for all but the largest of bearings. Just smoosh it around in there as best you can. Then put the little ball shields back in place, and reassemble everything. Linkage shield bolts first, shock last.

If you cannot see the balls inside the bearing because they don't have removable ball shields, you will probably need to get new bearings. That means removal of the old ones. Now be careful if the bearings are pressed tightly into the linkage pieces or stays. You do NOT want to start prying a bearing out of its seat with a screwdriver or other tool and accidentally ovalize/bugger up the aluminum that surrounds it. It is easy to mess up a bearing seat, and it will ruin your week. If they slip right out, great. If they are tight, you will need a bearing puller to get them our of their seats. If you don't have a puller, just take it to a shop and ask them very nicely if they would put the new bearings in and remove the old ones. Be extra kind and offer some exotic sort of barley and hops-infused beverages, and most shops will be more than happy to help you. Then tighten everything up, and go ride it.

Note: If your pivot bearings are feeling rough, greasing them will only temporarily help to quiet them down. You will need new bearings, and should plan on replacing them as soon as possible.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    thanks! it's not making much noise or any at all for that matter, but there is a little play in the one that links up with the tire on the right. I'll know more when i get everything disassembled.