mtbr member
    Jan 2012

minion dhf 2.35 60a with weirwolf comp 2.3. which up front?

Currently running this combo with the minion 60a up front and weirwolf comp in back. I originally thought that the weirwolf should be the rear due to fast rolling, some release in corners, and good braking. Then the minion upfront due to its rep for tracking thru corners. But im not sure i like it. Is it cuz the minion is a 60a? Last couple of seasons i ran a dual weirwolf setup. Actually with an older weirwolf upfont which was a little wider, more open tread, no terraced knobs, not as squirmy, and had awesome lateral bite. Shes littl nubs now. I loved the pairing and I'm just not as stoked with current minion upfront. I dont blame the tire but maybe the pairing and what im used to?

Would anyone suggest 60a minion in the rear; weirwolf upfront. My intial instict said i wouldnt want a tire that has some push(weir) upfront, with a true tracking rear (minion). Two weirwolves would be different, in that the rear would push around also.
    Im starting to think the softer compound of the weirwolf could pair better upfront? with harder minion rear? But again a push front and rear track combo treadwise.

Or should i just save both of these for rears and get a wider softer,different tire upfront?. This is on a 140 bike. All mountain bike but veers more towards a trail bike. Main emphasis is windy so cal switchbacks.

Ps. I took some caliper measurements of both tires mounted on a 30mm outer width rim. Measurments from widest knob to widest knob.. Minion 2.35, is actually 2.12? and the weirwolf 2.3 actually is 2.2. Both casings are 2.0
    Last edited by akiracornell; 02-21-2013 at 10:59 AM.