mtbr member
    Jan 2012

minion dhf 2.3 / weirwolf rear combo opinions?

Current running an original wolf front and new weirwolf rear. The rear is finally shot. I have liked this combo. I can see how some dont like the transition zones on the wolves but i dont mind as i know what there gonna do; and i like laying um over and pushing into them. But anyway.

I scored a minion dhf 2.35 60a on the cheap. I also have another newer wolf and contemplating this combo with the minion up front as the tracker the wolf for speed and lateral bite. The widths of both measure similar and rather narrow. How would this compare to the minion high roller combo everyone suggests. If i went high roller rear; what size HR and what compound would combo well with the minion i got? Any thoughts anyone?. I run tubless and would rather set it up and leave it. Wolf vs high roller in the rear? If HR which one?
    Last edited by akiracornell; 11-12-2012 at 12:31 PM.

usually cranky
    i would take the ww on the rear. it is a faster tire, you have a good plan imo.

mtbr member
    I don't like the high roller, at all. I ran a wolverine on the rear and it's a fast rolling big volume tire for a 2.2 and offered a great ride. Right now, I'm running a 2.2 purgatory 2bliss because it came on my bike and I'm pretty surprised at what a great rear tire it is. It's twice the cost of the wolverine but offers a little better performance. If it wears twice as long as the wolverine then I'd say its worth it otherwise, the wolverine is my rear tire of choice.

mtbr member
    I ran that exact combo for about a year except I ran the old WW 2.5 up front and the 2.35 DHF minion out back.

Like you, I liked how the 2.5 WW gripped up front and it had bigger volume than the minion. The DHF is a good rear tire. It hooks up well on climbs and corners and gives up little in braking traction. What I liked about the 2.35 minion is that it's a fairly substantial tire with tough side walls, tallish profile, and deep lugs eventhough it's not very wide so it would still fit in my rear triangle without any clearance issues. This was exactly what I was looking for for Enduro and Super D because I didn't want any pinch flats or torn sidewalls.

I eventually ended up switching to a 2.25 Ardent in the rear for the faster rolling tread but he DHF was stellar for grip and toughness.

Oh... and it's a terrific front tire too as everyone says.