Infidel

Minimalist Knee Protection TLD KG 5400, 661 EVO Lite XC or other?

I've recently suffered a knee injury and have decided that I need to armor up. I purchased a pair of 661 Tomcat knee pads a while back and had planned to start wearing them but find them too cumbersome. I want a pair of pads that I will actually wear on long technical rides. I want the most minimalist pair that I can find that will still protect my knees from the occasional smack against my handlebars or a rock. They need to be very comfortable or I am sure that I will discontinue using them once my knee fully recovers. The two best options for what I've described appear to be the TLD KG 5400 Knee Guard or 661 EVO Lite XC Knee Pad. Which would you recommend? Are there any other options that I've overlooked?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Definitely the TLD KG 5400. I have both, and the fit of the EVO lites suck, and they don't stay put. The straps are a pain,
    The TLD KG5400 fits really well, feels like your wearing nothing, yet offer up some good protection. I like them so much I even slap them on when I'm doing mellow xc type rides as well (you never know). When I'm going big I still put on my POC VPDs, but the TLD are great for everything else.
    BTW I use them on 3hr rides with lots of climbing.