mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mid mount electric motor AM rig?

Anyone try mounting one on their rig? Better yet a DH bike.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    OK, I'll say it:

Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Yeah, its called a motorcross bike. They are a new thing.

Formerly of Kent
    Despite my profession (killing people in armed conflict) I am generally a pacifist.

But, I'd have a hard time not berating a person using such a thing on my trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Okay, I'll bite.

I'm an owner and rider of a high-performance e-bike. I built it up from some kit parts and some specialty components over a few years onto an longtail cargo bike frame. It's great for commuting, hauling, and playing around town. It can produce close to 7 peak horsepower (at the wheel, while consuming 9kw at the battery), at zero RPM generates 125 ft-lbs of torque, and does 0-40 in 3 seconds.

Over the years I've seen ebike components get smaller, lighter, manufactured to better tolerances, and all-around better. New battery chemistries have given them more range for less money and made them much safer. They've gained publicity, and to a surprising extent, public acceptance.

And, having said all that, there's no ****ing way I ever want to see a motor on my mountain bike or an ebike on my trails.

The White Jeff W
    Generally most land managers dont allow motorized vehicles on the trails. As a builder, Id lose my s**t on you if I saw it on a trail I built. Come back when you can pedal your bike uphill.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Okay, I'll bite.

I'm an owner and rider of a high-performance e-bike. I built it up from some kit parts and some specialty components over a few years onto an longtail cargo bike frame. It's great for commuting, hauling, and playing around town. It can produce close to 7 peak horsepower (at the wheel, while consuming 9kw at the battery), at zero RPM generates 125 ft-lbs of torque, and does 0-40 in 3 seconds.

Over the years I've seen ebike components get smaller, lighter, manufactured to better tolerances, and all-around better. New battery chemistries have given them more range for less money and made them much safer. They've gained publicity, and to a surprising extent, public acceptance.

And, having said all that, there's no ****ing way I ever want to see a motor on my mountain bike or an ebike on my trails.
    As long as the Ebike user is not spinning the tires fast enough to tear up the trails or fly past others causing danger or a nuisance I see no problem with them. So I'd like to hear from someone who has done this conversion on their long travel bike.

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: Mid mount electric motor AM rig?

Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    As long as the Ebike user is not spinning the tires fast enough to tear up the trails or fly past others causing danger or a nuisance I see no problem with them. So I'd like to hear from someone who has done this conversion on their long travel bike.
    A bike with a motor is a motorcycle, not a bike. Period.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    It's coming, like it or not, just like fully autonomous cars that drive themselves. It will be billed/marketed as "the same effort, just the ability to cover so much more mileage and terrain in one day". Hybrid drive will store energy from braking and help with short steep sections, you'll pedal the rest. I'm indifferent to it in the fact that I don't plan on partaking until I grow old, but I fully expect to see this become a thing. Technology will allow for it, just like texting and driving. We literally can't help ourselves (as a whole).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How about all the land use comments, pros/cons, and others post here:
    Pedal-Assisted bike spotted at Boggs - thoughts?

On THIS thread I'm just trying to get info on eBikes, tips, how to's. Thanks fellas.

mtbr member
    I blame Mtn. Bike Fiction, That so called Mtb Magazine has been spamming E-bikes relentlessly!
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How about all the land use comments, pros/cons, and others post here:
    Pedal-Assisted bike spotted at Boggs - thoughts?

On THIS thread I'm just trying to get info on eBikes, tips, how to's. Thanks fellas.
    Sure thing. I removed my hate-filled screed and posted it in the thread you linked. The gist of my thoughts being that e-bikes in general jeopardize trail access for everyone, and you shouldn't do it, and I'll leave it at that.

I haven't ever done it on a trail bike, but I'd imagine you'd want to overvolt and gear down to get the most power for your weight, just like any ebike, assuming it's all DIY. A high-RPM high-efficiency RC plane motor would be a good bet. You should be able to get 2kw out of something the size of a soda can.

I don't think you'll find any love for ebikes in the All Mountain forum. Perhaps try somewhere ebike-specific, like the endless-sphere forums?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thank god motorized vehicles are not allowed on my trails.

Zombie Uprising
    That one looks really nice, but would you pay $8k for it?
    (Considering that some other boutique carbon builds are over the 10k mark).
    XDURO NDURO Pro 26

XDURO2 eMTB | e-Mountainbike Haibike

Forward to 3:46

Good specs nonetheless, but I still prefer my Evil Uprising.

Dirt Huffer
    Just wait 'till they adapt brushless motor technology and lipo battery packs to these e-bikes. They'll be way more powerful then gas. It's already happening in the R/C world. R/C electric technology is more powerful then gas.