mtbr member

Met Parachute any good?

Hey guys, was thinking of getting a full face..but want some ventilation. The Met parachute seems like the perfect one.I do alot of agressive riding and small jumps and drops. The only thing its that it looks really flimsy..and the jaw dosent really have padding like other full face helmets. Will it be a good buy?

Cheers,
    Jason
    Put something exciting between your legs. Ride a mountain bike.

Are you gonna eat that?
    Here's a review on chain reaction;

Quote Originally Posted by Ian from United Kingdom Owner 25 October 2005 11:46
    5 Months since getting my first Met Parachute. Managed to smash the first one within 2 weeks of purchase and the replacement within 3 months of receiving it. Now, it is worth stating that on both occasions (both crashes happened during fairly big jumps) the helmet protected my head well. I did have bruising on my face as the chinguard isn't padded and consequently any hard knock to the side of the helmet can result in the chin guard coming into contact with your face (unlike a proper full face helmet where there is padding to the side of the helmet). However, if you ride aggressive XC (as opposed to more freeride/downhill) then the Met is ideal as it does give greater protection than a standard XC helmet whilst retaining the same flow/weight characteristics. If you tend to ride more DH/freeride consider something a little more sturdy.
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Parachute is an XC helmet with a chinguard.
    Full face helmets have fiberglass/carbon outer shell.

mtbr member
    Not sure exactly what you're looking for but for another option of an XC helmet with more protection check out the Casco Viper. I had looked at the two and will eventually be picking up a Viper.
    I figure the odds be fifty-fifty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've been using one for a year. I like it. It fits, stays put and vents well. The chin protector is nylon which means it isn't infinitely strong but it's better than nothing. I bought it after banging my cheekbone on a rock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Boi
    Hey guys, was thinking of getting a full face..but want some ventilation. The Met parachute seems like the perfect one.I do alot of agressive riding and small jumps and drops. The only thing its that it looks really flimsy..and the jaw dosent really have padding like other full face helmets. Will it be a good buy?

Cheers,
    Jason
    You might want to check out a specialized deviant... I just got one for similar riding (although I haven't tried it out yet).

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRx7
    You might want to check out a specialized deviant... I just got one for similar riding (although I haven't tried it out yet).
    I was looking at that one myself, but I'm definitely more XC, however I have a nasty habit of going over the bars in rock gardens and I'd like to retain what few teeth I have left
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoseki
    I was looking at that one myself, but I'm definitely more XC, however I have a nasty habit of going over the bars in rock gardens and I'd like to retain what few teeth I have left
    Same here... went OTB about 3 times over the last 2 weeks, around rocks, once going pretty fast and flying through the air for a bit; this motivated me to procure some protection beyond the bike-path-ish helmet I was using.... whether or not I'm XC, I don't think my teeth will know the difference lol.

I tried the deviant out tonight - I think it'd be too hot for serious climbing on a summer afternoon, but the ventilation is really good once you're moving. The hugely increased sense of safety was very confidence inspiring to me, and I found myself riding more aggresively than usual.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I purchased a Met Parachute from the UK. The mouth peice and helmet retention system sucked. The mouth gaurd had no padding and the rear retention system loosened too easily. I have a Giro Switchblade that is worlds better. The Casco Viper may be worth looking into ???

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i have the deviant. its a great helmet.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by BHertz
    i have the deviant. its a great helmet.
    I third this.

P

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I've got both a parachute and a deviant at this point. They are both killer helmets, but toally different. The MET got me hooked on having a light FF. I hardly ever use the face guard, but man it's so nice for some summer whistler XC rides, backcountry stuff where you climb for hours to reach XC trails with stunts, jumps and hucks. Too hot for a real full face, but having some protection is really confidence inspiring.

I ended up buying the deviant since I juct couldn't deal with a regular FF after getting used to the MET... but I wanted more protection for the shore and whistler bike park days. Not sure if it makes sense to own both though.

Oh, So Interesting!
    The Viper sucks. The large doesn't really fit my face even though the measurement says it will... so if you have a "fat face" forget it. Also, the clips that attach the chinguard to the helmet will break eventually, they are thin, cheap plastic clips, and if you don't remove both clips simultaneously, the one that comes out last will break.

There is a review in the AM forum, search for it. I posted pics of the helmet, the cracked clip, and what I did to try to repair it. This repair failed over time for the same reason it broke in the first place. I may try to epoxy some aluminum into the recess in the clip or just throw the damn thing in the garbage.

I bought a Deviant, its sooo much better as a ff helmet as far as comfort and safety, the Deviant is rated for dh use by the new standard introduced a couple years back. I replaced the cheekpads with some closed cell foam padding that sits just off my face for xc-ish stuff, and use the normal thick pads that compress against your cheeks for dh. Just buy some superglue with it as the trim might need a little help staying in place...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004
    I have been riding a MET Parachute for over two years now after going over the bars and losing a tooth. I ride aggressive XC with a penchant for 40+ mph downhill legs on singletracks. Since owning the helmet, it has taken some light hits on over the bar incidents, kept untold amounts of brush out of my teeth and face and has saved my grille this last weekend.

Over the bars, into a rock garden. Same wreck as before except this one cost me a new MET Parachute instead of a $2,500 tooth and eight weeks of looking like a toothless moron.

Guaranteed I would have screwed my face up. The guard held, the plastic buried itself into the foam and cracked the foam in a couple of places, but other than scratched, the shell is undamaged.

As soon as everyone got over giving me crap about wearing a full face (ish) helmet, they all bought them. I am ordering four more helmets on this go around for myself, one other buddy who wrecked his face into something and had the chinguard save him and two other riding partners who have since elected to go FF.

Two thumbs up... big time. Wish they were less expensive and local... but such is life.
    Guess what? I gotta fever... and the only prescription... is more cowbell!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Another for the deviant here. I just picked one up a few weeks ago after hitting Demo for the first time. Riding there brought back memories of a face plant from ~10 yrs ago that took out 3 teeth and required 19 stitches to close the hole in my chin. Not fun or cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggystyle
    As soon as everyone got over giving me crap about wearing a full face (ish) helmet, they all bought them. I am ordering four more helmets on this go around for myself, one other buddy who wrecked his face into something and had the chinguard save him and two other riding partners who have since elected to go FF.

Two thumbs up... big time. Wish they were less expensive and local... but such is life.
    I agree have had mine for 6 months love it, vents awesome is very light. Check out chain reaction, was able to get a few at once and got free shipping to the US so total cost was only $165 each.
    Richard Eddy
    Castle Rock, CO

i like cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggystyle
    Guaranteed I would have screwed my face up. The guard held, the plastic buried itself into the foam and cracked the foam in a couple of places, but other than scratched, the shell is undamaged.
    That is really good to hear (glad to hear you are fine, sucks to crash though)... I bought mine a year ago and have not 'tested' it yet. Your post makes me feel just little more comfortable...