mtbr member
    May 2008

Messing with an old Iron Horse

Picked this thing up off the local craigslist last month.

It's a 2006 Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki.

Previous owner painted it white over the factory paint because he didn't like the stock graphics. I didn't care too much, I just wanted a full suspension bike and saw this as a good starting point to build a good all around trail bike without dropping a ton of coin at one time.

Here's a crappy cell phone shot of how it looked when I brought it home and cleaned it.

It had the stock WTB dual duty wheels, Spinner Ammo fork, Fox Vanilla R rear shock, ITS Ninja 2.65 front and 2.35 rear tires, SRAM X-4 shifters and rear derailleur, Tektro rear mechanical brake with front and rear rotors. No front brake lever or caliper.

It weighed 43.5lbs.

I stripped the bike down and got to work removing every trace of paint from the frame and rear suspension arm.

Then primed, painted, and cleared the thing then re-assembled with a set of Transition Revolution 32 wheels and Avid Elixir CR 203mm hydraulic discs.

Got some Troy Lee Designs ODI lock-ons, a SRAM XO rear derailleur, and scored a RockShox Monarch 4.2 High Volume rear shock.

Ordered some Crank Bros. Candy Xs for it and slapped them on. I run Candy Cs on my 29er, figured I might as well just get another set of cheap Candys.

After all that work I weighed it again...

42.1lbs. Any weight loss can be attributed to going from a coil shock to air and ditching the platform pedals for Candys.

I knew I didn't NEED those big-ass 2.65 front and 2.35 rear tires so I picked up a set of 2.1 Panaracer Fire XC Pros. Mounted them and re-weighed the bike...

37.1lbs! Lost 5lbs of rotating mass!

I'm thinking these 203mm rotors just might be overkill now.

Messed up the new paint while working on it. Was taking the chain apart and it whipped around and slapped the top of the rear swingarm...chipped the paint. Placed a sticker over it and put one under where the rear derailleur cable contacts the swingarm.

The next thing to do is get some XO triggers and a decent front fork. This thing is horrid...and it's a boat anchor. I'm thinking I can lose another 5-7lbs easy just by changing forks. If I go with a 140mm Lefty I can probably shed 8-9lbs.

Then there's other little things like crankset/bottom bracket, seat/seatpost, and handlebars that I can change to shed more weight. I'm curious to see just how light this thing can get.

Riding it is a freakin' blast. I'm strong in the legs so going uphill isn't too bad. It doesn't climb as well as my hardtail Cannondale 29er but I don't expect it to.

Point the bastard downhill and it's ready to be driven like a tank. If the front fork was smoother and didn't clunk at full extension I'd be happy. It works, it's just clunky...and heavy. It'll get replaced in time.

It'll come around. I figure a sub-30lb full-suspension ride based on a 2006 Freeride frame won't be too bad as an all-mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nice build! Can't wait to see more updates on your IH. Congrats.

usually cranky
    i dont think it has a 1.5 headtube. you have to through all kinds of steps to get a lefty to work. you would be better off with a used 36 or lyrik.

mtbr member
    43lbs, Holy mother of pearl!
    I'm surprised it didn't leave dents wherever it sat still for too long

Nice work, interesting to see how light you can get it, sub 30lbs for that frame would be impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    i dont think it has a 1.5 headtube. you have to through all kinds of steps to get a lefty to work. you would be better off with a used 36 or lyrik.
    You can get Leftys in 1 1/8th nowadays, Cannondale even offer them after market for non Dale frames. The latest 140 ones use RockShox solo air springs and motion control (might be blackbox) dampers, they work a lot better than the old TPC ones.
    Last edited by Fix the Spade; 11-26-2010 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's awesome to see someone building up a bike like that. I totally feel you when it comes to climbing with a heavy bike so you rail it downhill.

Even though you can put a Lefty on your Ironhorse, I agree with B-kul. You should get a Fox 36. I rode bike with one last summer and loved it.

Good luck with the rest! Keep us posted on your progress. How about some shots out on the trail? If you're not snowed in yet.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

Dropshot Champ!
    damn, just dumping money into an old iron horse!

you're gunna have to spend ALOT to get it sub thirty. I'd keep it how it is and ditch the girly tires and bomb some downhill!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...niki&Type=bike

Fix the Spade, homeless junkie, and redmr2_man...

I have yet to find a fork that's as smooth, light, and rigid as a Lefty. I weighed the Spinner Ammo and it tipped the scales at 6lbs, 15oz. The Lefty MAX Carbon w/PBR (140mm travel) is 2lbs, 13oz. That's 4lbs, 2oz gone if I get a new fork...which it needs.

I can shed another 1/2lb in the seat/seatpost.

There's not much left after that. Bottom bracket/crankset, cassette/chain (stockers are worn), bars, and those XO triggers that I'm getting.

A couple of trail shots from this month. I usually ride alone (my time to get away from everything and unwind) so there's not much of a chance of getting an action shot.

A climb exiting the freeride section of our park. Notice the tires. It was 42+lbs here and I rode it on all the trails I ride my 28lb 29er. Climbs weren't a problem.

From earlier in the month...

As far as the 2.1s vs. the 2.65 front and 2.35 rear...I have two wheelsets for the bike. The fatties are on the WTB Dual Duty set while the 2.1s are on the Revolution 32s. If I want to go bomb around I'll just change wheels...which reminds me...I have to buy another set of rotors.

...and the components aren't specific to "the old Iron Horse". I can use them on anything.

There are only another 14 bikes in the garage.