Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New question here. Merging DH and XC - one bike myth

I currently own a RM Flatline for DH and a RM Altitude RSL for XC... But I can't keep both so I'm seriously considering an AM bike for occasionnal DH and all the other stuff...

That bike must be capable of occasionnal foray into DH trails like Mont-Sainte-Anne and Bromont, and yet still capable of pedalling efficiently and comfortably in XC-ish trails la Kingdom Trails and other East coast singletrack stuff...

But there's so many offering in the 150mm-170mm range, I would love to have some suggestion.

So far, I'm very interested in building up a Nukeproof Mega. 150mm back, 66HA, 75 STA... Looks like a good compromise.

Others bikes I'm seeking advices/reviews on are the following :

Trek Slash, Remedy,
    Spescialized Stumpjumper EVO, Enduro
    RM Slayer

And finally, anyone else made a similar move ? What bke did you picked ?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I picked a Norco Range 3

mtbr member
    I suggest reading some of the threads in this forum: http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/ . And maybe searching.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I know there is a ton of similar post... None really addressed the DH to XC thing-y to my liking - hence a new post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I picked a Norco Range 3
    Linking it ? Can this bike handle rough DH like MSA or the Garbanzo zone in Whistler on occasions ?

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat with my Banshee Legend. I ended up with the Canfield One. I really like to pedal to earn my turns, this bike is amazing. Jump on the Canfield forum and see what's been done with the One.

mtbr member
    Liking my Yeti SB-66 frame with my own build, 150mm rear. 160mm front. 65.9deg head angle. Have not had time to take it to a local ski hill yet. It wont be any DH bike but it will be good I only go ~3 times a year for lift runs anyway.

Also Giant Reign X I had before was pretty good but this yeti kills it on pedaling. Plus my giant was way to small for me.

Nomad? never ridden one but my buddy likes his.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    Liking my Yeti SB-66 frame with my own build, 150mm rear. 160mm front. 65.9deg head angle. Have not had time to take it to a local ski hill yet. It wont be any DH bike but it will be good I only go ~3 times a year for lift runs anyway.

Also Giant Reign X I had before was pretty good but this yeti kills it on pedaling. Plus my giant was way to small for me.

Nomad? never ridden one but my buddy likes his.
    woah, that SB-66 looks quite nice. In what kind of trail do you like it most ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    woah, that SB-66 looks quite nice. In what kind of trail do you like it most ?
    Only had it about a week and have not had time to take it anywhere other than trails near town which are pretty much XC trails, couple jumps runs. I love it! still dialing the suspension.

Picture gallery of my XL yeti sb-66 YETI SB-66 - KTMDirtFace's Photos

Looking forward to trying it out in some rougher and steeper terrain. ( most trails here are smooth )

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Linking it ? Can this bike handle rough DH like MSA or the Garbanzo zone in Whistler on occasions ?
    I'm loving it. I haven't hit Whistler on it, but I did a lot of riding on Vancouver Island a little more than a month ago and it was killer out there. It can certainly take on some nice sized hits. I'm not pushing the limits on it yet, but I have managed 7 foot drops with 18 foot distance to the landing, 25 foot launches with some good elevation, nice sized roll ins and jump out areas to.

I do a lot of "earn your turn" riding so it was the ideal bike for me. I changed out the drivetrain for the X0 and love it and I might get XTR brakes on it too but it's a great bike. I'm just picky about the brakes and although Elixir 3s are my favorite Elixir brake (albeit they are the low end Elixir brakes-reliable). Even with all the stock parts it was incredible to ride. Saw a good number of Norco bikes up on Western BC area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    Only had it about a week and have not had time to take it anywhere other than trails near town which are pretty much XC trails, couple jumps runs. I love it! still dialing the suspension.

Picture gallery of my XL yeti sb-66 YETI SB-66 - KTMDirtFace's Photos

Looking forward to trying it out in some rougher and steeper terrain. ( most trails here are smooth )
    Nice and burly! Have you weighted it yet ?

mtbr member
    Have not weighted it other than bathroom scale subtraction which says 36lbs. Its an XL. my coil shock and 2.4" meaty tires are quite heavy.

I'd Huck That....

Kona Coilair

Check out the Kona Coilair 34lbs depending on you personal setup. I currently ride a 07 Kona Coiler Deluxe 38Lbs this is my everyday bike XC, Freeride and some DH. This thing is bomb proof.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer13 View Post
    Check out the Kona Coilair 34lbs depending on you personal setup. I currently ride a 07 Kona Coiler Deluxe 38Lbs this is my everyday bike XC, Freeride and some DH. This thing is bomb proof.
    I do want to test ride that magic thing... The Coilair wasn't my pick - I was leaning toward the Abra Cadabra. Sub 30lbs is my target.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What about a Santa Cruz Blur LTC
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

banned
    Knolly chill. Foes FXR Ibis mojo hd. Yeti sb66

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    pivot firebird. pivot 5.7.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    What about a Santa Cruz Blur LTC
    I want more than rear travel than 140mm....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Artin Aga View Post
    Knolly chill. Foes FXR Ibis mojo hd. Yeti sb66
    I just looked at the Mojo HD. I like! It looks like it can easily be beefed up for resort riding.

Team Chilidog!
    Made a very similar move, cannot afford a bike dedicated to the occasional resort riding, or an XC bike for fast pedaling.

Ventana 2012 El Ciclon 150mm, built around a Fox Float 36 (lowered to 150mm). HA 67 degrees, seat tube angle 72 degrees. I'm not riding this bike beyond its (or my) limits. If I do, I'd need something stronger

Not sure if I'd get much out of a 66 degree HA vs. the 67 degree HA.

The other ones I'd consider are the Foes Shaver and FXR, but then again I like aluminum.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I want more than rear travel than 140mm....
    Then look at a Nomad

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks to all for the suggestions ; I'll look inte the SB-66 and the Range. The Nukeproof is also still on the list... The price is hard to ignore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Was in the same boat, had a Knolly podium and Orange Five, just sold both and got Orange Alpine 160. Comes stock with rp23, will get coil shock and big wheels for summer uplifts.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    thanks to all for the suggestions ; I'll look inte the SB-66 and the Range. The Nukeproof is also still on the list... The price is hard to ignore.
    Both the SB-66 and Range are beautiful bikes. I know there are a few variations of the SB-66 with slight differences for different purposes-so that is a cool upside of them. I believe Artscyclery has some of them. The Range 3 is as is. Range 2, 1, and LE are also awesome-but the price goes up and up. I've got 2011 model of the Range 3, but I've put more money into it to make it 'better' than the 2012 model, regardless of lack of ART suspension style. You would have a hard time going "wrong" with either bike. I personally have no experience with Nukeproof though.

usually cranky
    I do want to test ride that magic thing... The Coilair wasn't my pick - I was leaning toward the Abra Cadabra. Sub 30lbs is my target.
    i dont think sub 30 on a dh capable bike will happen.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast