Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 96
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174

    New question here. Merging DH and XC - one bike myth

    I currently own a RM Flatline for DH and a RM Altitude RSL for XC... But I can't keep both so I'm seriously considering an AM bike for occasionnal DH and all the other stuff...

    That bike must be capable of occasionnal foray into DH trails like Mont-Sainte-Anne and Bromont, and yet still capable of pedalling efficiently and comfortably in XC-ish trails la Kingdom Trails and other East coast singletrack stuff...

    But there's so many offering in the 150mm-170mm range, I would love to have some suggestion.

    So far, I'm very interested in building up a Nukeproof Mega. 150mm back, 66HA, 75 STA... Looks like a good compromise.

    Others bikes I'm seeking advices/reviews on are the following :

    Trek Slash, Remedy,
    Spescialized Stumpjumper EVO, Enduro
    RM Slayer

    And finally, anyone else made a similar move ? What bke did you picked ?

  2. #2
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    I picked a Norco Range 3

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thebikedoctor33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    619
    I suggest reading some of the threads in this forum: http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/ . And maybe searching.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174
    I know there is a ton of similar post... None really addressed the DH to XC thing-y to my liking - hence a new post.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I picked a Norco Range 3
    Linking it ? Can this bike handle rough DH like MSA or the Garbanzo zone in Whistler on occasions ?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigcrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    953
    I was in the same boat with my Banshee Legend. I ended up with the Canfield One. I really like to pedal to earn my turns, this bike is amazing. Jump on the Canfield forum and see what's been done with the One.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KTMDirtFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    753
    Liking my Yeti SB-66 frame with my own build, 150mm rear. 160mm front. 65.9deg head angle. Have not had time to take it to a local ski hill yet. It wont be any DH bike but it will be good I only go ~3 times a year for lift runs anyway.

    Also Giant Reign X I had before was pretty good but this yeti kills it on pedaling. Plus my giant was way to small for me.

    Nomad? never ridden one but my buddy likes his.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    Liking my Yeti SB-66 frame with my own build, 150mm rear. 160mm front. 65.9deg head angle. Have not had time to take it to a local ski hill yet. It wont be any DH bike but it will be good I only go ~3 times a year for lift runs anyway.

    Also Giant Reign X I had before was pretty good but this yeti kills it on pedaling. Plus my giant was way to small for me.

    Nomad? never ridden one but my buddy likes his.
    woah, that SB-66 looks quite nice. In what kind of trail do you like it most ?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KTMDirtFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    woah, that SB-66 looks quite nice. In what kind of trail do you like it most ?
    Only had it about a week and have not had time to take it anywhere other than trails near town which are pretty much XC trails, couple jumps runs. I love it! still dialing the suspension.

    Picture gallery of my XL yeti sb-66 YETI SB-66 - KTMDirtFace's Photos

    Looking forward to trying it out in some rougher and steeper terrain. ( most trails here are smooth )

  10. #10
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    Linking it ? Can this bike handle rough DH like MSA or the Garbanzo zone in Whistler on occasions ?
    I'm loving it. I haven't hit Whistler on it, but I did a lot of riding on Vancouver Island a little more than a month ago and it was killer out there. It can certainly take on some nice sized hits. I'm not pushing the limits on it yet, but I have managed 7 foot drops with 18 foot distance to the landing, 25 foot launches with some good elevation, nice sized roll ins and jump out areas to.

    I do a lot of "earn your turn" riding so it was the ideal bike for me. I changed out the drivetrain for the X0 and love it and I might get XTR brakes on it too but it's a great bike. I'm just picky about the brakes and although Elixir 3s are my favorite Elixir brake (albeit they are the low end Elixir brakes-reliable). Even with all the stock parts it was incredible to ride. Saw a good number of Norco bikes up on Western BC area.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    Only had it about a week and have not had time to take it anywhere other than trails near town which are pretty much XC trails, couple jumps runs. I love it! still dialing the suspension.

    Picture gallery of my XL yeti sb-66 YETI SB-66 - KTMDirtFace's Photos

    Looking forward to trying it out in some rougher and steeper terrain. ( most trails here are smooth )
    Nice and burly! Have you weighted it yet ?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KTMDirtFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    753
    Have not weighted it other than bathroom scale subtraction which says 36lbs. Its an XL. my coil shock and 2.4" meaty tires are quite heavy.

  13. #13
    I'd Huck That....
    Reputation: slayer13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    119

    Kona Coilair

    Check out the Kona Coilair 34lbs depending on you personal setup. I currently ride a 07 Kona Coiler Deluxe 38Lbs this is my everyday bike XC, Freeride and some DH. This thing is bomb proof.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer13 View Post
    Check out the Kona Coilair 34lbs depending on you personal setup. I currently ride a 07 Kona Coiler Deluxe 38Lbs this is my everyday bike XC, Freeride and some DH. This thing is bomb proof.
    I do want to test ride that magic thing... The Coilair wasn't my pick - I was leaning toward the Abra Cadabra. Sub 30lbs is my target.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,643
    What about a Santa Cruz Blur LTC
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation: Artin Aga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    584
    Knolly chill. Foes FXR Ibis mojo hd. Yeti sb66

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    865
    pivot firebird. pivot 5.7.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    What about a Santa Cruz Blur LTC
    I want more than rear travel than 140mm....

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Artin Aga View Post
    Knolly chill. Foes FXR Ibis mojo hd. Yeti sb66
    I just looked at the Mojo HD. I like! It looks like it can easily be beefed up for resort riding.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,476
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    I want more than rear travel than 140mm....
    Then look at a Nomad

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174
    thanks to all for the suggestions ; I'll look inte the SB-66 and the Range. The Nukeproof is also still on the list... The price is hard to ignore.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    231
    Was in the same boat, had a Knolly podium and Orange Five, just sold both and got Orange Alpine 160. Comes stock with rp23, will get coil shock and big wheels for summer uplifts.

  23. #23
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    thanks to all for the suggestions ; I'll look inte the SB-66 and the Range. The Nukeproof is also still on the list... The price is hard to ignore.
    Both the SB-66 and Range are beautiful bikes. I know there are a few variations of the SB-66 with slight differences for different purposes-so that is a cool upside of them. I believe Artscyclery has some of them. The Range 3 is as is. Range 2, 1, and LE are also awesome-but the price goes up and up. I've got 2011 model of the Range 3, but I've put more money into it to make it 'better' than the 2012 model, regardless of lack of ART suspension style. You would have a hard time going "wrong" with either bike. I personally have no experience with Nukeproof though.

  24. #24
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    I do want to test ride that magic thing... The Coilair wasn't my pick - I was leaning toward the Abra Cadabra. Sub 30lbs is my target.
    i dont think sub 30 on a dh capable bike will happen.

  25. #25
    wuss
    Reputation: dropadrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i dont think sub 30 on a dh capable bike will happen.
    Yeah, was going to say the same. I ride a bike which is mainly used for xc (whatever that means), but also lot's of other stuff right up to DH centers. I have 180mm suspension, but with modern designs that's not a problem, works just fine for what I want.

    However when you start attempting to get sub 30lb weights you'll just make so many compromises that you'll break it the first time you go ride proper downhill. Add to this that you'll have to use an air shock etc...

    For a real do it all bike you need a balanced build, and that does not usually mean throwing silly light parts and tires on a burly frame.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tartosuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    I was in the same boat with my Banshee Legend. I ended up with the Canfield One. I really like to pedal to earn my turns, this bike is amazing. Jump on the Canfield forum and see what's been done with the One.
    +1 for the Canfield ONE
    its amazing do it all bike.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    439
    You're looking for 32-36lb, 6"-7" travel bikes, HA of 66-67, with suspensions that have good climbing characteristics (Maestro, DW, VPP, probably others). Get on a few of these and buy the one that fits. Get a set of lightweight XC tires/rims and heavy duty DH tires/rims and you'll be good to go.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
    +1 for the Canfield ONE
    its amazing do it all bike.
    Anyone knows the weight of a medium frame ?

  29. #29
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,118
    I'm running my Yeti ASR 7 for this purpose and my wife fell in love with the Pivot Firebird which is an amazing bike now that I've finally got a chance to ride one a bit.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  30. #30
    Canfield Brothers
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,071
    One frame weight with a coil is 10.25 lbs, around 8.25 without.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    149
    I have a knolly endorphin and it is a great bike but it came up short on the few bikepark trips I did this summer. I have just ordered a knolly delirium and a 2012 fox talas 180, I'll move the parts from my endo to the delirium and will probably invest in a second wheel set. Hopefully this will be my one do it all bike.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Drth Vadr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    781
    I thought I would look into this bike real quick as a future mini dh, and found this impressive video.
    Canfield Brothers "one" suspension. - YouTube

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,265
    I love my Ibis HD. It is light, stiff, strong, pedals well, is extremely versatile. It is the only bike I own, and I do everything with it. If a bike can withstand my 220lbs of daily abuse, and still be in the low 30lb range than it gets the thumbs up from me.
    My only issue in using one bike for everything has been tire selection. Often when I'm going on more XC oriented rides I'm tempted to run lighter tires, but inevitably because the bike is so capable those XC rides turn into something else. One thing leads to another and I find myself slapping the 950gram Butcher SX back on, and resigning myself to the fact that lighter weight tires aren't in the cards for me.
    Also the HD doesn't have ISG tabs, which sucks, but Ibis has other solutions, so its not so bad.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Drth Vadr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    Also the HD doesn't have ISG tabs, which sucks.
    Can someone explain this to me? I ran a ISCG adaptor on my 07 Mission for the longest without issue. The experience left me with a who cares if a bike has tabs attitude, I'm I wrong?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    Can someone explain this to me? I ran a ISCG adaptor on my 07 Mission for the longest without issue. The experience left me with a who cares if a bike has tabs attitude, I'm I wrong?
    You can't run an adapter on the HD. So if you want to run a dual ring chain guide it has to be a bottom bracket mounted one. The problem with those is that they can rotate when struck, like when going over a log. It then kinda jams up the works.
    Ibis/MRP has a single ring guide that solves this by bolting to one of the pivots in addition to the BB, and I believe they have a dual ring guide that will do the same thing that is in the works.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Drth Vadr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    You can't run an adapter on the HD. So if you want to run a dual ring chain guide it has to be a bottom bracket mounted one. The problem with those is that they can rotate when struck, like when going over a log. It then kinda jams up the works.
    Ibis/MRP has a single ring guide that solves this by bolting to one of the pivots in addition to the BB, and I believe they have a dual ring guide that will do the same thing that is in the works.
    That never happened to me,but I could just take a hammer and make small adjustments

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lew242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    533
    Nukeproof Mega, has all the right angles I'm saving for that frame. Gotta say that I like the short chain-stays on the Spec Enduro though.

    Some ppl are only going to suggest Can/AM brands half of which are made in the same Taiwanese factories as the 'evil' corporate big brand bikes.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    530
    Intense Tracer 2.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Daemon[CRO]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    349
    Stumpjumper Elite - comes with BRAIN. You can fully lock brain and have (basically) a hardtail which climbs like mad. Once you are up the hill, if your downhill section is 100% down just unlock it fully and you have 140/140 plush FS.

    If your down ride is still a bit up and down, unlock it to 50%, and it will behave perfectly. Holding you firm on up, unlocking on bumps.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,704
    Here is your ticket, 2011 Canfield The ONE.

    Setup in 190mm mode here:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Merging DH and XC - one bike myth-bike2.jpg  


  41. #41
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,313
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    I currently own a RM Flatline for DH and a RM Altitude RSL for XC... But I can't keep both so I'm seriously considering an AM bike for occasionnal DH and all the other stuff...

    That bike must be capable of occasionnal foray into DH trails like Mont-Sainte-Anne and Bromont, and yet still capable of pedalling efficiently and comfortably in XC-ish trails la Kingdom Trails and other East coast singletrack stuff...

    But there's so many offering in the 150mm-170mm range, I would love to have some suggestion.

    So far, I'm very interested in building up a Nukeproof Mega. 150mm back, 66HA, 75 STA... Looks like a good compromise.

    Others bikes I'm seeking advices/reviews on are the following :

    Trek Slash, Remedy,
    Spescialized Stumpjumper EVO, Enduro
    RM Slayer

    And finally, anyone else made a similar move ? What bke did you picked ?
    i went the other way, and i had a nomad with a 180mm fox. i ride at mount saint anne often as well as blue. i converted the nomad to more dh oriented with big brakes, heavy duty wheelset, chainguide etc... still came up short on the dh trails and was not the best xc-ing.

    so i got a m9. if you are going to spend alot of time dhing get a dh bike, you will be more happy. now i do have a hack bike for the trails. dual rings, 160mm travel, etc... it's a bottle rocket. i do dirt jumps on it, wooden features, all day rides, winter riding, etc. the covert is pretty nice also. i could take it dhing if i had to but it won't preform like the m9. plus when i spend the whole day dhing i want as much travel as possible for comfort.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manchvegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,099
    ibis mojo HDEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Just picked mine up 160mm full kashima coat with talas adjustable front set up 1x9 with XO weighing in at.... drum roll.......... 26.8 LBS! (WITHOUT PEDALS) Pretty freakin awesome if you ask me! I LOVE IT.
    Full time rider part time racer...

    See my adventures here..

    https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

  43. #43
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    X0 running one by 9?

  44. #44
    dude
    Reputation: joeyjoedotorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    407
    I'm in the same boat, got rid of my shorter travel bike, still have my longer travel bike but looking for the "one." Currently looking at the Transition Covert.

  45. #45
    Flyin Pig
    Reputation: IvanLasston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    159
    I tried this for 2 years with a Santa Cruz Nomad. It handled the 3 hills in Colorado - Sol Vista, Winter Park, and Keystone fine. I started DHing quite a bit and beat the Nomad up. Had to rebuild my Lyrik 2 step once a season - taking out my trail riding while it was getting rebuilt.

    After the second rebuild - I decided to get a used DH bike so that gets beat up and my trail riding remains uninterrupted. The DH bike is beat up - but since it is big and heavy it still rides fine.

    TL ; DR - Loosing riding days sucks.

  46. #46
    Big Test Icycles
    Reputation: Hangtime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,428
    I just sold two bikes and ended up with a Pivot Firebird. I was blown away with the handling and capabilities of this bike. It pedals and climbs great and gets even better when descending. Mine is set up at 33lbs at the moment with some bling and some sensible parts that break.

    When deciding to move to a "one bike" for everything I looked hard at the Norco Range and RMB Slayer however I was not able to find any locally to throw a leg over so the FB won out.

    Your list has some great bikes and having one bike for me has been great. I know it won't win any DH or XC races but it will get me up, down and all over anywhere I ride.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  47. #47
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    One frame weight with a coil is 10.25 lbs, around 8.25 without.
    Without a shock or with an air shock?

    I haven't heard of One till now. I'm in absolute awe looking at the specs. I just need to figure out how to fit it in, and to find a way to justify the $$$ with the wife.

    Now to search for review threads....

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    268
    Turner RF . . . oh wait, nevermind.

    Uzzi VP w/adjustable dropouts/rear travel. New update will stiffen the rear even more. Been on mine for 6 months and couldn't be more pleased.

  49. #49
    Canfield Brothers
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Without a shock or with an air shock?

    I haven't heard of One till now. I'm in absolute awe looking at the specs. I just need to figure out how to fit it in, and to find a way to justify the $$$ with the wife.

    Now to search for review threads....
    It's 8.25 lbs frame only, add 1 to 1.5 lbs for air shocks or 2 - 2.5 lbs for coil. Builds are looking like 32 - 38 depending on parts (AM to DH).
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    19
    I run a S-Works Enduro. 29.5 lbs in Proper All mountain Mode (tubeless Weirwolf) and probably around 31/32lbs with DH 2.5's with tubes.

    Regualry ride 1500m vert (up) on 1 x 10 and shred down. Run the lifts. I don't normally choose the DH tracks but tech single. Dh tracks are for DH bikes (although I can ride them on the Enduro)

    66.5 HA, Steep seat, light, Amazing grip. Nothing touches this bike IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Striction myth
    By Parrotnot in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 03:10 AM
  2. L5 S1 merging
    By killgunter in forum Rider Down, injuries and recovery
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 02:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •