mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Men's large Gary Fisher Tassajara Mountain Bike

I know this is like the 4th thread I've posted for bikes, but I simply just want to find the right bike for me, at a decent price. I found this bike near me on Craigslist, unfortunately there isn't much of a description, but I looked up all the years this bike was made from 2002 and up, and all the reviews were pretty solid for the price. I also saw this bike came in 15.5 17.5 19 and 21 inch frames, in the description he said it was a large, HOPEFULLY it is a 19 inch although, 17.5 would be perfect. Please tell me your thoughts about this bike, thanks

Heres the ad:
    "Men's large Gary Fisher Tassajara mountian bike - $225.
    Great condition. Current version sells for over $1150."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    that was my first mtn bike. Solid design, great warranty, but I ended up getting a full suspension about 6 months later. so I think you may be hooked after you get it. good luck..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the fast reply, I can probably negotiate the price down to 200$, would you say this is a fair deal, as he also stated it is in great condition. Also, would it be possible to take this bike down some jumps(nothing big). I just want to know how much it can handle. I'm 5'9, 135 lbs so I won't be adding to much weight to the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Perhaps you should take a trip to your LBS and get some knowledge on what your looking for. This site can tell you all day whats good or not but when it comes down to it your going to be riding it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The bike will definitly handle you. I have an 07 and i'm 6'3 250 (workin on getting that # down) I've been rideing it pretty hard and hasnt given me any trouble. Make sure you ride it. Thats the best way to know if its for you. I love mine. good luck

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Been riding a 19" (large) 2003 Fisher Big Sur until June last year.
    6' 190#.
    Loved it. Took it through quite a bit of rougher terrain.
    Still have it as a smooth trail bike / backup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woogyboogy
    I know this is like the 4th thread I've posted for bikes, but I simply just want to find the right bike for me, at a decent price. I found this bike near me on Craigslist, unfortunately there isn't much of a description, but I looked up all the years this bike was made from 2002 and up, and all the reviews were pretty solid for the price. I also saw this bike came in 15.5 17.5 19 and 21 inch frames, in the description he said it was a large, HOPEFULLY it is a 19 inch although, 17.5 would be perfect. Please tell me your thoughts about this bike, thanks

Heres the ad:
    "Men's large Gary Fisher Tassajara mountian bike - $225.
    Great condition. Current version sells for over $1150."
    what year is the bike for sale? funny how the seller writes "current version sells for over $1150." i say $225 is too much for a bike older than a 2007. i've seen 2008s sell for about $300. also, a 19" bike may be too big for you. be sure the bike is a good fit before dropping any money- especially used.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    I would be very cautious. My Tass (1998) was $399 when I bought it new, so the bike has come a long way in the last 10 or so years. If its older than 2-3 years, $200 is probably too much. That said, people in the Chicago area seem to pay a premium for name brands. Someone I know sold a 96 Trek for $250... and it wasn't anything special.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I own a 2003 Tassajara. Bought it new & have been riding it for six years, the last 3 of which I've ridden a lot more. I've enjoyed it tremendously. I think the original retail on mine was about $700. Great for singletrack. Good climber, even when standing, due to short stays. Solid Deore components throughout which have given me any trouble. The RockShox Pilot fork was never great, currently needs a rebuild, but it hasn't broke on me either because of how simple it is. My was the non-disc brake model. I still ride it weekly, and am pretty hard on it, although I'm not a heavyweight at 165lbs w/ gear. The only thing I've broken on it was a derailleur hanger and chain. And a hand-full of flats due to the crappy sidewalls of the stock tires. I've sat and ridden on other newer aluminum hardtails, and still feel like mine is more comfortable and a better ride than many of them.

I have an On One 456 currently being built, so I will be selling my 17.5 pretty soon as well. I wanted a more compliant steel hardtail, with a longer travel fork.

I think 225 is reasonable if it doesn't need much tuning or any major parts replaced. I would have liked to get close to 200 for mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I bought a 07 tassajara new paid around $800 for it I believe. Its been a great bike, never had any problems with it. It is a large (19'') and I am 5'11 175lb and it fits me perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    2004 was ~$619 retail without disc brakes.
    The 2004 HKEK was about $840 (with none to be found and none to order)
    I got my 2003 leftover Big Sur new for $735 and upgraded to BB7 discs a couple years later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If the components arent toast, and the frame has no cracks, and the fork is in great condition, 175. If any of those are not met, go for something else. The tass is a great frame, but for a few bucks more you can get something nicer, newer, and less likely to break. If you really want to give mtbiking a try, just go for it and spend a little cash now. Worst case scenario, you hate it and sell your bike for a loss. Best case scenario, you love it and buy a new bike and...well.. fall victim to the trap that we all have fallen to.....5 bikes currently, owned more than 10 since 2004. It is an addiction and I need help....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woogyboogy
    Thanks for the fast reply, I can probably negotiate the price down to 200$, would you say this is a fair deal, as he also stated it is in great condition. Also, would it be possible to take this bike down some jumps(nothing big). I just want to know how much it can handle. I'm 5'9, 135 lbs so I won't be adding to much weight to the bike.
    Unless you have a long trunk I think the Large would be too big for you.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

Pin it
    I agree, it is probably too big for you, and there are probably better bikes you can find with patience.