Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MBA shootout

Big Boy

MBA shootout

So, mountain bike action had a good write up on 5 popular long travel trailbikes in the latest issue. Good read...especially because the 575 won!!

The bikes included were an enduro, 575, reign, gt force, and remedy.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Wow....no way. Yeti doesn't advertise. Why the hell would MBA rank the 575 #1? Obviously the Enduro should have won since the rankings are directly proportional to ad dollars. Going by that "logic" the Remedy should have come in 2nd. Isn't there ALWAYS a Trek ad on the front 2 pages? That's a premium spot. Then the Reign should have been 3rd.

If you can't tell.....I'm being sarcastic.

Big Boy
    yeah, i was surprised the enduro didnt win for that very reason.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    MBA - Marketing Biased Analysis = read with a grain of salt or for entertainment purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf View Post
    MBA - Marketing Biased Analysis = read with a grain of salt or for entertainment purposes.
    Yes but going by that logic, the Enduro should have won. I don't believe the "ad dollars buys great reviews" theory. This is a perfect example of why. I haven't seen the results but if the 575 won, this shootout is exactly contradictory to the above theory.

I believe that ANY review should be seen with a bit of skepticism. MBA is one resource of many. You should never take it as truth nor should you ignore it completely.

mtbr member
    Yeti has been raking in the dollars with their SB-66 I'm sure. They've sold out of how many production runs now? Interesting assortment of bikes though. What I'd really like to see is a comparison of SB-66, Pivot Mach 5.7, Intense Tracer 2, Ibis Mojo HD, and maybe a Santa Cruz Blur LT thrown in for good measure. Now THAT would be a shootout.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Yeti has been raking in the dollars with their SB-66 I'm sure. They've sold out of how many production runs now? Interesting assortment of bikes though. What I'd really like to see is a comparison of SB-66, Pivot Mach 5.7, Intense Tracer 2, Ibis Mojo HD, and maybe a Santa Cruz Blur LT thrown in for good measure. Now THAT would be a shootout.
    That would be a shootout full of bikes that most People have never heard of and wouldn't do them any good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fordolet View Post
    That would be a shootout full of bikes that most People have never heard of and wouldn't do them any good.
    Desire does not always = realistic expectation.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    MBA sucks.

Surprised it wasn't a shootout of 29ers.

Thankfully my 3-year subscription came to an end last month. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by fordolet View Post
    Eh?

MBA has done reviews on all those companies before. Maybe not the exact model but they have done numerous reviews on Yeti, Ibis, Santa Cruz and Intense.....don't know what you mean by no one's heard of them before. The SB-66 is the newest model but I'm sure MBA readers are very familiar with the 575 or ASR. MBA has reviewed the Mojo and the Mojo HD previously. They've also reviewed a ton of Santa Cruz bikes (i.e. Chameleon, Heckler, Bullit, Superlight, all Blur versions, Nomad versions, etc. The Tracer is such a longstanding model.....MBA has reviewed it as well.

What they haven't done is exactly what fordolet is asking....a shootout of those bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I dunno, Crank Brothers advertises in MBA and they freakin hate the Joplin post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

All of these magazines are completely biased towards positive reviews because they must appease their advertisers. Not only that, but if they write a bad review, that's the end of review bikes from that manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg View Post
    Eh?

MBA has done reviews on all those companies before. Maybe not the exact model but they have done numerous reviews on Yeti, Ibis, Santa Cruz and Intense.....don't know what you mean by no one's heard of them before. The SB-66 is the newest model but I'm sure MBA readers are very familiar with the 575 or ASR. MBA has reviewed the Mojo and the Mojo HD previously. They've also reviewed a ton of Santa Cruz bikes (i.e. Chameleon, Heckler, Bullit, Superlight, all Blur versions, Nomad versions, etc. The Tracer is such a longstanding model.....MBA has reviewed it as well.

What they haven't done is exactly what fordolet is asking....a shootout of those bikes.
    You're 100% correct, but I think there is a balance they have to find between the stuff we really want to read, and the stuff that sells the most. I don't think it's in their best profit making interest for them to exclude the mainstream big advertisers from a shootout.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post

All of these magazines are completely biased towards positive reviews because they must appease their advertisers. Not only that, but if they write a bad review, that's the end of review bikes from that manufacturer.
    Well, considering that many magazines have given bikes and products poor ratings, I will assume you haven't read any of these magazines. Even if all of the tests had good results, that shouldn't be surprising as it's difficult to find a bad bike these days. It all depends on what you're looking for. MBA tests bikes in California and Nevada. Bike tests bikes in Washington and NorCal. Take facts into consideration with their tests, and you can get a lot of good information from them. I don't get the hate for MBA. I've been a subscriber on and off since 1997, and I haven't noticed any inaccurate reviews. I haven't always agreed, but I can almost always see why they say what they say.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In that review they said they would not
    recommend the GT. The review on the GT
    was not good.

Best, John

Not

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Every review has to be taken with a grain of salt, whether it's in a magazine or our own reviews on this website. I take all opinions into consideration but unless I know the tester personally there is no way to tell what their experience is that leads them to their conclusions. I could throw up a review on this site and make myself sound like I'm an authority on all things bicycle and the info would be completely useless. The fact that I'm not influenced by advertising dollars has nothing to do with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not
    Without providing any reasoning whatsoever, your response is completely worthless.

74 & 29 pilot
    Not

Quote Originally Posted by charmon2 View Post
    Every review has to be taken with a grain of salt, whether it's in a magazine or our own reviews on this website. I take all opinions into consideration but unless I know the tester personally there is no way to tell what their experience is that leads them to their conclusions. I could throw up a review on this site and make myself sound like I'm an authority on all things bicycle and the info would be completely useless. The fact that I'm not influenced by advertising dollars has nothing to do with it.
    Agreed

Without providing any reasoning whatsoever, your response is completely worthless.
    REALLY agreed

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    In that review they said they would not
    recommend the GT. The review on the GT
    was not good.

Best, John
    They should have rated the Force 1.0 or said you could buy a Peace 29er and Force 2.0 for the same price of some of the other bikes in the shootout...

$800 is a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post

Agreed

REALLY agreed

MTBP
    OMG. Maybe you should read my other responses...my reasoning is explained very clearly.

I don't know how you could have missed it but here you go

Yes but going by that logic, the Enduro should have won. I don't believe the "ad dollars buys great reviews" theory. This is a perfect example of why. I haven't seen the results but if the 575 won, this shootout is exactly contradictory to the above theory.

I believe that ANY review should be seen with a bit of skepticism. MBA is one resource of many. You should never take it as truth nor should you ignore it completely.

Have you read the other posts or were you too offended that someone might think opposite of what you do? Here's ONE of my responses in the thread. Not hard to find it.....but I guess for you it was

That quote addresses your comment exactly. So sorry that I didn't repeat it for you.

Have you ever subscribed to MBA? I have been for 13+ years. I have read plenty of negative reviews. Are there going to be good reviews? Do the # of good reviews outnumber the bad? Of course....but have you considered that the bikes might actually be good? Most bikes nowadays are great. In fact if you read a good review I'm sure that MOST people on MTBR would completely agree. Why? Because bikes are that good.

It's only when there is a bad review that people say "MBA doesn't know what they're talking about". Try picking up a copy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Have you read the other posts or were you too offended that someone might think opposite of what you do? Here's ONE of my responses in the thread. Not hard to find it.....but I guess for you it was

That quote addresses your comment exactly. So sorry that I didn't repeat it for you.
    Try harder. Where in my comment did I ever suggest that 'ad dollars buy reviews?' That does not address my comment whatsoever. You cannot create a strawman and and hold me accountable for it. That is null logic.

I have read MBA on and off for 5 years.

"Most bikes nowadays are great."

I sort of agree with this. Much of the problem is that most people are not discerning enough to tell the differences between suspension designs and other bike tech, and are amazed at the basic functions of decent suspension, and as a result, every 'forum review' you read is "wow this is amazing", when in reality there are a multitude of factors not taken into account that make one bike or product superior to another.

As a result, it is more likely that there is a positive review bias among all mountain bike 'reviews'. However, suggesting that, does not remove accountability from professional mtb journalism organizations to write balanced and unbiased reviews.

Finally, where did I in anyway suggest that I'm offended? You are the one going around all "OMG" and freaking out.

Hmmmmm

I sort of agree with this. Much of the problem is that most people are not discerning enough to tell the differences between suspension designs and other bike tech, and are amazed at the basic functions of decent suspension, and as a result, every 'forum review' you read is "wow this is amazing", when in reality there are a multitude of factors not taken into account that make one bike or product superior to another.
    Like the fact that 575s that are actually used for all mountain type riding do not have a good reputation for long term reliability.
    They tend to repeatedly break things like swing arms. You won't find that in most reviews from either the commercial or private sectors.
    People that ride the rocks in the desert have issues though. The owners of high end bikes don't like to admit when they've bought a overpriced POS in some cases.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast