mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Maxxis Ikon 2.35 (29 inch)

I have had few quality days of riding with Ikon 2.35 as rear tire on Enduro 29. It is EXO 3C TR version, supposedly 740 gram, tubeless on 24mm inner width wheel.
    Very very very impressed. The tire replaced Maxxis DHR II dual compound which was quite draggy (but with traction in spades). The bike now is set free - riding of typical Colorado Front Range hardpack feels playful and effortless. Cornering traction is still here but you need to lean the bike a bit more to get it. The tire is big - 1mm bigger in all dimensions than DHF 2.3. It has probably stretched to actual size now and the width is 60mm - exactly 2.35 inch
    DHF 2.3 front / Ikon 2.35 rear combination worked perfectly well for aggressive Colorado trail riding - steep climbing, loose climbing, drops, jumps, bunnyhopping nasty waterbars, rocks, some roots, some loose, everything. Huge fun.

mtbr member
    Are the knobs taller than the 2.2"? My wife's bike came with one of those and it was downright scary on gravel over hard.

If they are taller, I'd consider it over my DHR2, although, I just love the traction that tire has.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Lot of good info in these threads:

Maxxis Ikon 2.35

New Maxxis 29er tires 2013

including input from the tire designer who mentioned that side lugs are 1.5mm taller when center thread is the same height as 2.2

I have only seen 2.2 folded at some store and it looked semislick - while 2.35 folded looks knobby

Some people seem to use 2.35 as front tire - but it's too extreme for me.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

Yeah, I'll stick with a DHF, DHR or HR2 up front, but it looks like it could be OK in the rear. I've used a Bontrager XR3 Team issue, which is fairly similar in concept, it worked better than I expected and was very fast, but once the knobs wore a bit, it was too skatey in the gravel we have here. Nice tire for elsewhere though.

Bontrager XR3 Team Issue TLR Tire (29-inch) - Trek Bicycle Superstore

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Anyone riding mainly trail want to comment on the wear of these things? Iv all but given up on fast rolling and lightweight tires on the back. I can live with a little less traction in the back but I'm eating tires every 200 miles or so, rocks and roots are just eating up the side knobs, and when there's not much knob to begin with preformance slips.

Either that or iv got a mkii on standby to throw on here. I want to like a faster rolling tire but it's just too expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Looks similar to Ikon 2.35 - but the side lugs on that Ikon seem to be taller and more exposed. Expensive to keep fresh - yes!