mtbr member
    May 2012

maxxis highroller II or minion DHR II

Hi,
    I am looking for a more aggressive trail/ all mountain riding tires for the southern california terrain.
    it is for a Santa Cruz Blur LTc if anyone wants to know.
    currently riding on specialized ground control on this bike and they do roll pretty fast and it's light, but does wash out on you if you go too fast.
    I am looking at the highroller II and the Minion DHR II.
    I am thinking either HR II front and DHR II both 2.3 size combo or just HR II front and back. Want to know which route to go as I am looking for a little more speed going down and decent weight for climbing up as well.

Anyone have any experience with these tires would be appreciated.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    I don't think they make either in a 2.3

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    I don't think they make either in a 2.3
    Yes, but they make both in 2.35.

I am considering the same combo, but UST. I'll probably go 2.5 front though 'cause Maxxis runs smaller than what I'm used to. Minions are the shizz and so are HR's, but they're a little twitchy for fronts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbc4386 View Post
    Yes, but they make both in 2.35.

I am considering the same combo, but UST. I'll probably go 2.5 front though 'cause Maxxis runs smaller than what I'm used to. Minions are the shizz and so are HR's, but they're a little twitchy for fronts.
    Isn't it 2.4, not 2.35?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The HR II and DHR II both come in 2.3 or 2.4.
    I have the 2.5 minion on my other bike already and love it. But for the blur, I want something lighter. But the specialized is just a little too loose to be riding fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think the DHR II looks really promising. I am currently on a DHF 2.5 front and HR II rear. Love the combo but I tend to wear out the HR really fast for some reason. Judging by design I think the DHR II might last longer on the rear of my bike. Also I've heard that the DHR II can make a really great front tire and even more so if the intermediate knobs are slimmed down a bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Im running one of each. I think the maxx is on the front, very happy with them

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaboym5 View Post
    The HR II and DHR II both come in 2.3 or 2.4.
    Have you seen them yet?

The Maxxis website indeed has a listing that these tires are available, but the distributors don't have them yet... Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

sof
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I think the DHR II looks really promising. I am currently on a DHF 2.5 front and HR II rear. Love the combo but I tend to wear out the HR really fast for some reason. Judging by design I think the DHR II might last longer on the rear of my bike. Also I've heard that the DHR II can make a really great front tire and even more so if the intermediate knobs are slimmed down a bit.
    Do you use the same compound for both tyres? If so, don't. Get a 42a for the front and a 60a for the back, or some similar combination. You'll always get faster wear on the back so a harder tyre will compensate. It will also have the benefit of being slightly more likely to slip than the front, so you back end will go first which is better.

I've never seen a vendor with a dominion or a hr II in 2.4, but I know they do 2.35 because I have one of each. HR II on the front, Dominion DHR on the back. Haven't rode the combo down the trails yet, but will do tomorrow so I'll report back.

EDIT: Also, if you're wanting to save weight, go for folding tyres and maybe consider single ply with dh tubes in.

mtbr member
    It's about time they made these in 2.3 exo. Not available yet but hopefully soon. I've ridden both in 2.4 on my dh. High rollers 2s roll faster but all out grip the dhr 2 is where it's at. Depends what your priorities are as to which to run. If I was to try them on the trail bike I'd probably try the high rollers first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sof View Post
    Do you use the same compound for both tyres? If so, don't. Get a 42a for the front and a 60a for the back, or some similar combination. You'll always get faster wear on the back so a harder tyre will compensate. It will also have the benefit of being slightly more likely to slip than the front, so you back end will go first which is better.
    I always run a harder compound in the rear and currently on 60a rear and 42a front but the HRII still seems to wear faster than a minion dhf on the rear.

mtbr member
    I've run the Minion DHR2 2.4 both front and back. I found it is more fun to run something else in the back (Like a DHF) so the back will slide just a bit sooner than the front. My fav front tire of all time. Just lean the bike and look where you want to go.

I've only run the High Roller 2 2.4 ,for any peroid of time, in the front. It has slight drift, not as much as an ardent and sometime takes a bit of thought and correction in turns though still not a big issue. I love that tire too. In braking on hardpack it can feel slightly soft or gooey , flexy knobs but as compared to the DHR2 it digs into loam a bit better. I assume from the smaller knob length.
    I'm assuming I might find the perfect trail set up with DHR2 by using a 2.4 in front and 2.3 in rear...that is if it ever comes out.

DHR2, HR2 Both outstanding.

Cheers!

usually cranky
    ive heard the hr2 is a bit better in the loose but they are both awesome tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I did try them both on the rear of pivot 5.7 and I seem to like HR2 more. (disclaimer HR2 is 3c EXO, DHR2 is EXO but not 3C it is also TR - so not sure how much is due to compound)

DHR - slides more on trail
    brakes away sooner cornering
    Not as grippy climbing rocks
    Slower rolling
    slippery in the wet

the only advantage I see - is braking - it brakes better and straighter vs HR2 on the trail. On the rocks it starts slipping sooner so going down steep rollers is tricky...
    Obviously DHR 2 being TR tire seats better tubeless. HR2 required a 20 inch tube as inner liner to not burp on 5' jumps

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Try out Conti Trail King 2.4" w/ Protection sidewalls instead. or Der Baron's.

Get the UST versions.

They work a sh1tl0ad better than the Maxxis' do in the southwestern terrains.

(AZ, CA, NV, etc)

Not to mention the rocks destroy the Minion's in NO TIME out here.
    Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

mtbr member
    I'm running a minion dhr2 as a rear tire and it's fantastic. I feel like it rolls plenty fast and corners and brakes really well. I've had a hard time getting the back end to break away and drift because it's so grippy. Standard compound on the rear for longevity. I have a Specialized Butcher SX up front (Minion DHF-esque) and can't comment on the high roller 2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been running 2.5 dhf front and HRII 2.3 in the back for Flagstaff and Sedona, AZ.

Pros of the HRII:
    -Excellent cornering and braking
    -Wearing at a reasonable rate
    -Great in the loose
    -No burping of sealant issues tubeless, though I did need soap for mounting

Cons of the HRII:
    -More sudden transition from center to side knobs than I was used to on my spesh butcher
    -Not that amazing for climbing due to rolling resistance and traction in steeps
    -Casing feels a little squeamish in berms even at 35psi (175 geared rider)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sof View Post
    Do you use the same compound for both tyres? If so, don't. Get a 42a for the front and a 60a for the back, or some similar combination.
    Do you find that a 42a front and 60a rear wear at roughly the same rate? I'm currently running 60a 2.5 DHFs front and rear which I love but the rear has worn pretty quickly while the front still has a lot of life left, so next I'm thinking of going for 42a DHF on the front and a 60a DHF or DHR2 rear.

mtbr member

maxxis highroller II or minion DHR II

I just mounted a DHR II 3C on the rear and a Muddy Mary Vertstar on the front for loose over hard and OMG!

(I came from DHF 60a rear and 42a front)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lornholio View Post
    Do you find that a 42a front and 60a rear wear at roughly the same rate? I'm currently running 60a 2.5 DHFs front and rear which I love but the rear has worn pretty quickly while the front still has a lot of life left, so next I'm thinking of going for 42a DHF on the front and a 60a DHF or DHR2 rear.
    Yes and the 42 grips a lot better which you want for a front tire. 42 front, 60 rear is the ONLY way to go in my book!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Yes and the 42 grips a lot better which you want for a front tire. 42 front, 60 rear is the ONLY way to go in my book!
    Thanks. I find 60a fine front & back currently but if a 42a front will wear at the same speed as a 60a rear plus give more grip then that sounds the way to go. 42a DHF & 60a DHR2 will be on my bike next.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a handfull of rides on Maxxis DHR II, 3C, EXO, 29er x 2.3 on a Tallboy LTc.

Forget Hans Dampf and Nobby Nic... The new shoes are the way to go for anyone looking for a tread for all-mountain.

Front set at 20-21 psi, back set at 23-24 psi.

Dampening the trail is what I can think. HD and NN felt bouncier at the same psi. Lower and, well, my rim can tell you why it is no go on lower psi.

Pretty psyched so far!