Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Transplant
    Reputation: ekoostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    869

    Mavic Deetraks or Azonic Outlaws

    I know that a few of you guys ride on Azonic Outlawsand seem to like them but the Deetraks are kind of a new wheel and I am interested in both for me 6" Switch SL. This will be my first All Mountain/Freeride bike and I come from a heavy XC backround so I feel like I will need the ability to pedal this beast around. I want a set of wheels that will be strong enough to do a max drop of 4' but also roll well. I know that the Deetraks have some smoooking bearings in them but Dirt Rag basically said the freehub is garbage. I just got a set of Azonic's in my truing stand and they seemed WAY HIGH for tension (150-160 [SIZE=-1]kgf [/SIZE]) SO I could get the Azonics and spend time bring the spokes to correct tension (I know they are 2.0mm single guage with brass nipples but still, I would feel more comfortable at 130kgf max) or I could get the Deetraks and keep a constent eye on the freehub. What would you guys do?

  2. #2
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    I am rolling on the DEE's right now and think they are super sweet. They feel very stiff and roll smooth. I think the freehub is a non-issue. Have no idea what Dirt Rag nor do I care. I am very happy with mine.

    Greg
    Voltron

  3. #3
    Transplant
    Reputation: ekoostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    I am rolling on the DEE's right now and think they are super sweet. They feel very stiff and roll smooth. I think the freehub is a non-issue. Have no idea what Dirt Rag nor do I care. I am very happy with mine.

    Greg
    Yeah, you're the reason that these even came to light (thanks Louis and Ed). You riding on Sunday? Maybe I can check them out then. I heard you are a pretty good rider so if they are holding up, I may have to commit. The only Azonics that I have seen were quite tweaked. Mavics stuff always seem to hold up pretty well. Guess I can throw on the MP3 plan thing to prevent any troubles. Thanks Greg!

  4. #4
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    Ouch...over 2600g a set.

    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    I know that a few of you guys ride on Azonic Outlawsand seem to like them but the Deetraks are kind of a new wheel and I am interested in both for me 6" Switch SL. This will be my first All Mountain/Freeride bike and I come from a heavy XC backround so I feel like I will need the ability to pedal this beast around. I want a set of wheels that will be strong enough to do a max drop of 4' but also roll well. I know that the Deetraks have some smoooking bearings in them but Dirt Rag basically said the freehub is garbage. I just got a set of Azonic's in my truing stand and they seemed WAY HIGH for tension (150-160 [SIZE=-1]kgf [/SIZE]) SO I could get the Azonics and spend time bring the spokes to correct tension (I know they are 2.0mm single guage with brass nipples but still, I would feel more comfortable at 130kgf max) or I could get the Deetraks and keep a constent eye on the freehub. What would you guys do?
    Hey, don't get me wrong...I'm a big Mavic fan, but those Deetraks are pretty darned heavy, aren't they? Obviously they ought to hold up for AM riding for sure. I have 3 sets of CrossMax XLs and really like them. They're about 1800g a set and are amazingly tough and reliable for their weight. I noticed some Moab shop guys riding some of these on their 6" AM bikes with remarkable reliability. Some of us around my home area use them, and they stand up to small jumps, stunts, and drops on a regular basis. I wouldn't think you'd have any reliability issues with Deetraks.

  5. #5
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    Yeah, you're the reason that these even came to light (thanks Louis and Ed). You riding on Sunday? Maybe I can check them out then. I heard you are a pretty good rider so if they are holding up, I may have to commit. The only Azonics that I have seen were quite tweaked. Mavics stuff always seem to hold up pretty well. Guess I can throw on the MP3 plan thing to prevent any troubles. Thanks Greg!

    I will be riding Sunday for sure.
    The Outlaws are good wheels also, I am just a big fan of the Mavic wheel systems, plus the MP3 plan (as you mentioned) is hard to pass.

    They are heavy in hand but on the bike there weight seems to go away because they roll so smooth. Most of the weight is in the rims not the hub. So you get the feeling of a lighter wheel.

    Greg
    Voltron

  6. #6
    Transplant
    Reputation: ekoostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    I will be riding Sunday for sure.
    The Outlaws are good wheels also, I am just a big fan of the Mavic wheel systems, plus the MP3 plan (as you mentioned) is hard to pass.

    They are heavy in hand but on the bike there weight seems to go away because they roll so smooth. Most of the weight is in the rims not the hub. So you get the feeling of a lighter wheel.

    Greg
    Ahhhh crap. I have to go to a stupid Fisher Cats game with the GF. I forgot that I promised her like a month ago. Why do women have to remember everything?! Well count me out for Sunday but we will definetley ride sometime Greg (maybe).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •