mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Mavic Crossmax XL for AM

Hi All,

I'm looking to see how many of you use the Crossmax XL wheels for All Mountain. My current wheels (Sun MTX with DT 340 Hubs and Maxxis High Rollers) are a bit heavy for long rides and I'm looking to shave off some weight without sacrificing too much strength.

Riding style is really All Mountain, fast downhills but nothing the frame can't handle (Santa Cruz Nomad). More technical decents that big hucks, with all day rides and the odd drop (5 - 6 ft max).

Any input would be much apppreciated.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had the XL's on my last bike and loved them. They held up way better then I ever thought they would which is saying alot because I am a big kid at 200lb. I were able to handle a few days at whistler with no problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yeah great wheelset, light and strong, perfect choice for AM. Used them for nearly 2 years with no issues ('m 190 lbs)
    Some people find the rims a bit narrow for bigger tyres, but I haven't had a problem.
    Some people don't like the idea of proprietary spokes, but I haven't had a problem and they look cool on the bike.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HeezaGeeza
    Hi All,

I'm looking to see how many of you use the Crossmax XL wheels for All Mountain. My current wheels (Sun MTX with DT 340 Hubs and Maxxis High Rollers) are a bit heavy for long rides and I'm looking to shave off some weight without sacrificing too much strength.

Riding style is really All Mountain, fast downhills but nothing the frame can't handle (Santa Cruz Nomad). More technical decents that big hucks, with all day rides and the odd drop (5 - 6 ft max).

Any input would be much apppreciated.

Cheers.
    I have been using the Crossmax XLs for a while on my xc/trailbike and they hold up very well for moderately agressive riding. However, I did have to retrue these after the first few rides (I noticed these wheels were made in Romania, not France) . Overall, they are nice and light, but they could be a bit wider, like the new 2007 Mavic Crossmax SX. Spokes and hubs look cool and chunky, though.. on both new and old. Perhaps you can get a good deal on the XLs since they seem to be replaced by the SX.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/arti...7086d5a004b765

If you are looking for just "one" wheelset, you could take lace those nice DT 340 hubs to some DT EX 5.1d's. A great 28mm rim, strong and light (could make a 2kg wheelset with DT comp spokes with brass nipples.. or 1.9k with supercomp spokes and alloy nipples). I used them to make a wheelset for my freeride/trailbike and have yet to touch them with a spoke wrench after building them. I have ridden very aggressively with these.

TNC
    noMAD man

wider rim

Quote Originally Posted by sus13
    I have been using the Crossmax XLs for a while on my xc/trailbike and they hold up very well for moderately agressive riding. However, I did have to retrue these after the first few rides (I noticed these wheels were made in Romania, not France) . Overall, they are nice and light, but they could be a bit wider, like the new 2007 Mavic Crossmax SX. Spokes and hubs look cool and chunky, though.. on both new and old. Perhaps you can get a good deal on the XLs since they seem to be replaced by the SX.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/arti...7086d5a004b765

If you are looking for just "one" wheelset, you could take lace those nice DT 340 hubs to some DT EX 5.1d's. A great 28mm rim, strong and light (could make a 2kg wheelset with DT comp spokes with brass nipples.. or 1.9k with supercomp spokes and alloy nipples). I used them to make a wheelset for my freeride/trailbike and have yet to touch them with a spoke wrench after building them. I have ridden very aggressively with these.
    The biggest difference seems to be the slightly wider rim and some more weight compared to the XLs. XLs have a 23.5mm external width compared to the 26mm on these SX versions. I guess this accounts for the slightly over 100g weight increase. Not a bad idea for running bigger tires, though I've never had any trouble with most tires up to 2.5 on the XLs. I'm running 3 sets of XLs, and they've been totally bulletproof. One set is about 3 years old, one of the earliest releases, and it's still truckin'.

Saucy Size Moderator
    I generally like the wheels -- light, stiff, strong -- but the aluminum spokes are tricky. I took a smallish spill in March and a rock scored four spokes. A very minor scratch, to my eyes, that would have done nothing to a steel spoke. But after a couple rides, all four spokes snapped. The resulting imbalance in the wheel made two more slightly bent spokes on the opposite side also break. Basically I had to rebuild the wheel at that point, which luckily is easy (but not cheap) given how easy it is to stuff new spokes into the hub.

I run 215# fully loaded.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

TNC
    noMAD man

Spoke dings.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    I generally like the wheels -- light, stiff, strong -- but the aluminum spokes are tricky. I took a smallish spill in March and a rock scored four spokes. A very minor scratch, to my eyes, that would have done nothing to a steel spoke. But after a couple rides, all four spokes snapped. The resulting imbalance in the wheel made two more slightly bent spokes on the opposite side also break. Basically I had to rebuild the wheel at that point, which luckily is easy (but not cheap) given how easy it is to stuff new spokes into the hub.

I run 215# fully loaded.

p.
    I've been wondering about that. Mine have some nasty looking rock dings on them. Over a year ago I bought some spare spokes to relieve my anxiety. They've been in my gear bag ever since, thank goodness and fingers crossed. I weigh 190...nekid.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I've been wondering about that. Mine have some nasty looking rock dings on them. Over a year ago I bought some spare spokes to relieve my anxiety. They've been in my gear bag ever since, thank goodness and fingers crossed. I weigh 190...nekid.
    Thanks a lot TNC! Now I have a picture in my head of Alfred E Newman, naked, wearing a full face helmet and riding a Nomad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I was wondering about the durability of aluminium spokes. Mine have survived a few stick attacks without a problem. One of the rear spokes is slightly bent, but it's been like that for over a year now without trouble and still running true. The black finish on the spokes does tend to chip off a little with stone strikes, but they still look great after 2 years use. If they last another year I might treat myself to a set of the new ones
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]