mtbr member

Mavic Crossmax SX Wheels 2013

I'm building up my new Mojo HD 160 and I'm in the market for a good wheel set. My budget is around $900, so I've been reading up on Mavic's Crossmax SX (which fit right in my price range) and from what it seems, they are pretty light for their strength. I tend to ride on the more freeride side of the AM spectrum, with my biggest drops being around 8 feet; however, I still love to climb and will be taking full advantage of my Mojo's DW link and 28 lb weight! To sum it up, I'm looking for a set of wheels that are light enough to keep my build around 28 lbs, but strong enough to take some light to moderate freeride abuse. As always, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

-Cheers!-

DB

mtbr member
    Dont have direct experience with SX. I have a set of Crossmax SL. I got them on my mojo sl. After 2 years, they are still as good as day 1. Strong, light and looks good too. I ride mainly XC with occasional 3-4ft drops. Wheels have done me well. I really like Mavic wheels and recommend them to anyone looking for solid wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am building up a Yeti SB-66c. Looked at Mavics for the wheels, but after doing some research decided to go a different path. Bought my old (2008) Yeti 575 three years ago used, came with a custom wheelset from Dave's Wheels, go to speeddream web site (not sure if I can post URL). Chris Kings + Velocity rims, they have worked perfectly for three years, never seen a spoke wrench. I called Dave, great guy, for under $900 (including delivery) I have a custom built new set on the way, CKs, Stans Arch rims. Supporting a local USA business with USA parts (at least CK, not sure where rims are made). He will build anyway you like, I tend more towards trail side of AM, could have went cheaper with different hubs, or burlier with different rims.

I get my wheels tomorrow, last thing to complete the build.

dave
    08 575
    12 SB-66c

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I and two other guys I ride with have them (2012 models) 2 of us on specialized enduros & 1 on a Nomad.We ride a lot of northeast rocky trail, creek crossings, rock drops & a lot of bush whacking. No one has had a problem with anything, you do need to retensioned them after initial break in, also a little turn of the spoke wrench goes along way with the Mavic spokes.

chunk junkie
    I would look into something with a wider rim if you are closer to the freeride side if AM. Big meaty tires work better with wider rims and at 21mm the sx rim would not hold up to regular 8 ft drops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    For less than half the price of the Mavics you could get a set of Hope wheels with Flow or Flow EX rims. I have 2 sets of Hope Hoops. One DT Swiss Ex500 and the other a set of Flow rims. All I can say is I will never spend more than the $350-$400 it costs to buy a set of those wheels!

chunk junkie
    and for the money you can get much better hubs than the mavics...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you're looking for a prebuilt wheelset check out the E13 TRS+ wheels. Huge over sized hub flanges, carbon hub shells, 72 poe, 1650 grams...

I also have a set for sale....
    E13 TRS+ AM Wheelset (BRAND NEW IN BOX!) - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've been running sx's for a few years now and I'm very impressed with durability. They are def up to some FR action. Unless you are heavy I wouldn't have any worries about durability. Mavic's proprietary alloy is good stuff. Tubeless set up is the best I've used, even better than stan's flows which one would assume would be the best on the market. Speaking of flow's, I blew up a rear rim in short time. Sx rims are much tougher.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjoe View Post
    I would look into something with a wider rim if you are closer to the freeride side if AM. Big meaty tires work better with wider rims and at 21mm the sx rim would not hold up to regular 8 ft drops.
    This is incorrect. Some World Cup DH racers run 21mm internal rims depending on the tire profile they want for a given course. The new Enve DH rims are 21mm internal, so are Deemax Ultimates. Your average 2.5 tire has a nice round profile on a 21mm internal rim which allows for aggressive cornering.

I've personally hit many drops some as large as 8' and the sx's have handled it no problem. Pound for pound they are the toughest wheels I've owned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavic Crossmax SX Wheels 2013-p4pb7561322.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    This is incorrect. Some World Cup DH racers run 21mm internal rims depending on the tire profile they want for a given course. The new Enve DH rims are 21mm internal, so are Deemax Ultimates. Your average 2.5 tire has a nice round profile on a 21mm internal rim which allows for aggressive cornering.

I've personally hit many drops some as large as 8' and the sx's have handled it no problem. Pound for pound they are the toughest wheels I've owned.
    +1.....I`ve run 3 sets of Schwalbe 2.4 tires with no burps or flats @ 30/33 lbs. & they corner like velcro. I`m at 200lbs geared up, we don`t do any park riding but have alot of gnarly descents with 4' and even a 6' drop or two with no problems between the 3 of us. I`ve also heard people ***** about the propriety spokes & nipples if they break a spoke.....just order a pack when you order the wheelset....$25.00 extra.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Powderman View Post
    +1.....I`ve run 3 sets of Schwalbe 2.4 tires with no burps or flats @ 30/33 lbs. & they corner like velcro. I`m at 200lbs geared up, we don`t do any park riding but have alot of gnarly descents with 4' and even a 6' drop or two with no problems between the 3 of us. I`ve also heard people ***** about the propriety spokes & nipples if they break a spoke.....just order a pack when you order the wheelset....$25.00 extra.
    I was one of those guys that talked trash about propriety spokes. I've only popped 2 spokes both drive side rear over nearly 3 years of frequent use. I used to pop a few j bends every year. Whatever mavic's special alloy blend is it's tough. I had one spoke with a dramatic bend in it with nicks deep into the metal at the apex of the bend and the spoke never broke? It even cracked the nipple it was so tweaked but it never snapped. SX spokes are easy to replace too. They are over priced but you shouldn't need many.

chunk junkie
    World Cup racers get new shiz when they break their old shiz. for free. so don't even throw that out there. if he regularly rides 8 ft drops (btw that picture is maybe a 4 ft drop) he needs to get rims built for FR. carbon rims are stiffer and more resilient compared to alloy as well. if you pop j bend spokes on the reg you should find a new wheel builder...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjoe View Post
    World Cup racers get new shiz when they break their old shiz. for free. so don't even throw that out there. if he regularly rides 8 ft drops (btw that picture is maybe a 4 ft drop) he needs to get rims built for FR. carbon rims are stiffer and more resilient compared to alloy as well. if you pop j bend spokes on the reg you should find a new wheel builder...
    The reference to 21mm rims and WC DH racers has nothing to do with durability, it's in regards to tire profile. 21mm is used often with 2.5 tires by the DH racers for the profile it provides. Rims wider than 23mm internal square tires out reducing the angle needed to engage the shoulder lugs, thus reducing cornering performance. You need appropriate internal width for tire size, and 21mm is proven to work very well for 2.3 to 2.5. Wider than 2.5 and you'll round out tires too much and be prone to rolling a tire off the rim, so if you're running 2.7's then yeah, sx's are a bit too narrow.

The pictured drop is around 6 to 8' feet I think?? I don't measure, all I know is it's above my head. Here's a bigger one if you want more evidence of sx's ability to handle FR. Mavic knows how to build a tough wheel. How often do you hear about deemax's blowing up? The sx's are just deemax lights basically for guys like the OP that want to keep their 6" bikes light but still tough. They have limitations like all wheels in it's class. I've blown up a rear sx rim but I sometimes use it for things DH rims are made for. Like the OP, I want to keep my 6" light so I choose to not run full blow DH wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavic Crossmax SX Wheels 2013-drop-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've ridden the 2012 version of the SX's now since the spring. They've stood up to alpine riding in Europe, dry dusty trails in Southern Spain, and muddy, rocky trails in the northeast US. As mentioned before, be conscious of spoke tension after the initial break in period, but all said and done, these things are bombproof. I raced both DH and Enduro on them.
    My one and ONLY gripe with them is that because of all the adaptability (I've run them with the quick release in the rear on my '11 Enduro EVO and with the 12x142 option on my '12 Stumpy EVO) I notice that there is a slight bit of play where the wheel meets the frame when they're on my Stumpy. I asked the Mavic rep specifically about this and he said it's normal to have just a bit because of the adapters. I'm not overly particular about my bikes so it doesn't bother me, but just thought you might like to know if you happen to be detail oriented. Otherwise though, EXCELLENT wheelset.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much for all the great feedback, guys! I'll let you all know what I end up deciding on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Mavic:- Love the wheels, Hate the hubs.
    More precisely, the plastic bushing howling noise on the freewheeel after about a 500-1000 miles, depending on how dirty your rides are.. Seems like a purposely engineered design failure. Absolutely ridiculous design for the money they cost. Hub Doctor bearing kit right out of the box next time for sure.
    I have 3 sets, 2 have had this problem. Two of my friends had theirs go out in the same week recently. Good thing I have become an expert on the problem. Their LBS didn't know how to fix it, and they are a Mavic dealer!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarjohn21 View Post
    Mavic:- Love the wheels, Hate the hubs.
    More precisely, the plastic bushing howling noise on the freewheeel after about a 500-1000 miles, depending on how dirty your rides are.. Seems like a purposely engineered design failure. Absolutely ridiculous design for the money they cost. Hub Doctor bearing kit right out of the box next time for sure.
    I have 3 sets, 2 have had this problem. Two of my friends had theirs go out in the same week recently. Good thing I have become an expert on the problem. Their LBS didn't know how to fix it, and they are a Mavic dealer!
    You brought up a good point: avoid the freehub bushing models.

In 09 they did away with that design. I'm not sure about the newer models but I know my sx's do not use a bushing. Nothing but sealed bearings in my hubs. Anyone know if they went back to the bushing after 09? Bad move if they did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    You brought up a good point: avoid the freehub bushing models.

In 09 they did away with that design. I'm not sure about the newer models but I know my sx's do not use a bushing. Nothing but sealed bearings in my hubs. Anyone know if they went back to the bushing after 09? Bad move if they did.
    That's good to know. I had not heard that the new wheels are different. They are the strongest wheels I have had, but when that bushing goes its the worst. Happened to me two weeks ago on a all-mtn night ride. Sorry neighbors...My Yeti screams sometimes!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarjohn21 View Post
    That's good to know. I had not heard that the new wheels are different. They are the strongest wheels I have had, but when that bushing goes its the worst. Happened to me two weeks ago on a all-mtn night ride. Sorry neighbors...My Yeti screams sometimes!

09 and up they have a 4 pawl "instant engagement" design which provides much faster engagement. It's like 7 degrees I believe. King is 6 degrees for context. I can say for sure the 09 sx's only use sealed bearings in the freehub, can't say for sure if 2010 and up use the same freehub design though.

A lot of people rail on mavic hubs and for good reason, but they have improved. I've owned i9, king, and hope, and I'm pretty happy with the sx's. I9 engagement is as good as it gets, I do miss that, but mavic's new design is pretty good. There's very little lag time. I9 schools mavic in that department though, their 3 degree engagement is something else.

mtbr member
    I have a set of 2005 crossmax xl from an old bike, on my 2011 enduro and I love them! I ride pretty aggressively and I think I've had then trued once and only recently broke my first spoke. I bought a pack of spokes, had it replaced and its running solid ever since. I've replaced bearings I think once each, maybe twice on rear, I think bearing set was 23ish bucks.

I plan to replace with SX when they do finally **** the bed.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    amazon got the 2012 mavic crossmax sx wheel set for $290! check it out! but its not the white one is the catch

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Dont! ive got 2012 crossmax st which is the as the 2013. nothing but problems with bearings and design flaw with axle seals and front wheel preload c clamp for bearing on disc side. Check that , my bad, wrong wheel.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P. View Post
    if it has the same hub design as the st, then the same axle to bearing interface flaws. I work on bearing alot at work and know what bad engineering is