mtbr member

Mavic Crossmax ST Wheels and Cassette Compatability

So after purchasing my Crossmax ST set, I noticed that the freehub is not compatible with cassettes that don't have a spider. Is that indeed what this little diagram on the freehub is telling me? Are there exceptions to this, or should I follow Mavic's recommendation and buy a new cassette with a spider? I was originally planning on throwing my XT 11-36 cassette on this freehub, but because it doesn't have a spider, I've decided to hold off. Do you guys have suggestions for a decent 10 speed 11-36 (with spider) cassette? I have a 10-speed Sram drive train. As always, any input is greatly appreciated!

-DB-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavic Crossmax ST Wheels and Cassette Compatability-photo-16-.jpg  

Mavic Crossmax ST Wheels and Cassette Compatability-photo-17-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The XT 11-36 is compatible with the Mavic ST freehub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    XT from 750 up is a spidered cassette

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi -
    to the OP, yes you interpret the little sticker correctly. the problem with individual cogs is that they exert a lot of force on the aluminum freehub body and they can make little notches in it. But most cogsets these days are joined in some way, either pinned together or carried on an aluminum backing spider.
    so, I would say, use almost any cogset and you will not have problems.
    happy riding, zack
    Mavic Zack

Mavic USA Communications Guy
    www.mavic.com
    http://www.facebook.com/mavic

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by maviczack View Post
    Hi -
    to the OP, yes you interpret the little sticker correctly. the problem with individual cogs is that they exert a lot of force on the aluminum freehub body and they can make little notches in it. But most cogsets these days are joined in some way, either pinned together or carried on an aluminum backing spider.
    so, I would say, use almost any cogset and you will not have problems.
    happy riding, zack
    Zack,

I have a set of '12 Crossmax ST 26" and I am using a Shimano XT 11-36 10 speed cassette. The Shimano XT 11-36 cassette uses spiders for all the gears above 19t but the 11t, 13t, 15t and 17t are loose gears. The 11t and 13t have a wider contact point on the freehub with the 15t and 17t gears being your standard loose gears with spacers. I just serviced my hub and noticed that it appears the 15t and 17t cogs are digging into the freehub. Is there a fix for this? I have roughly 400 miles on the wheelset. I am posting this here because I feel it relates to the OP's question. Thank you.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a set of Mavic Crossmax ST's and just upgraded from 9spd to 10spd. i bought a Sram PG1070 cassette and it seems to fit on the hub without any side to side wobble. i do not have the little mavic spacer in there. I've had some people say you need the spacer and others that say you don't need it. I'm not sure who to believe. However, i guess if the cassette fits there without the spacer and doesn't wobble. I should be good.

Any info. is appreciated if something seems messed up here. I didn't use the spacer when i had the sram 9spd cassette on there.

E

mtbr member
    This thread and Mavic replying to it really helped me. I just bought a set of 13' Crossride's for my version of a bad boy. I thought the sticker was indicating I needed a SRAM cassette only. I too was planning the use of an older XT drivetrain with loose cogs. I guess a spider cassette will have to be ordered.
    Tearing it up with...

02' Cannondale F800
    11' Cannondale CAAD10
    05' Haro BMX

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, several long mileage races and rock gardens later the cassette seems to be rock solid.

mtbr member
    Gexas, the cassette you are referring to is not a spider?
    Tearing it up with...

02' Cannondale F800
    11' Cannondale CAAD10
    05' Haro BMX

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you are right it isn't a complete spider. the biggest three chain rings are on a spider set up. the other 7 i guess are loose rings.