mtbr member

Mavic Crossmax ST for AM Riding?

Hi, guys

I'm in the market for a light weight, yet durable wheelset for my Mojo HD. I saw a brand-new pair of Crossmax ST wheels for $560 and I know that's a screaming deal. I know the Crossmax ST wheels are more of a cross-country set, but I was wondering if anybody is usage them on their AM rigs. I'm 155 lbs and I like to hit some moderately big drops. The allure of these wheels is weight and price. Do you guys think I could make them work for aggressive AM riding? The claimed weight according to Mavic is 1590 grams. My alternative would be lacing hope pro 2 hubs to Stans ZTR hoops at about 1849 grams for $650. As always, any insight is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Dog...I been running a set of 2011 STs for over year for more XC type,rocky riding(SC Superlight) and they have held up well, still staight and true. However, I think they are a bit narrow for more aggressive riding AM riding.

Helmetless Crasher
    Plenty strong for what you are doing, and what you are doing it with

I know plenty of people who are using the even lighter Mavic SLR's as AM wheels without issue, including myself at 215 lbs (albeit more XCish AM).

Strong wheels.

If you want to run more than a 2.35 tire, you will need a wider rim, however.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Dogbane,
    I just bought a set of hope pro2 on Stans Flows from CRC shipped to my door for 422- discount code worked out to like $372.00.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    Dogbane,
    I just bought a set of hope pro2 on Stans Flows from CRC shipped to my door for 422- discount code worked out to like $372.00.
    Chain Reaction Cycles?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been running a set on my SC Blur TRc. Ride XC/AM. Weight 170# with gear. No problems so far. They've been bullet proof. At the price you list, I'd say give them a shot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    I've been running a set on my SC Blur TRc. Ride XC/AM. Weight 170# with gear. No problems so far. They've been bullet proof. At the price you list, I'd say give them a shot!
    Awesome, it's great to hear positive feedback! The only thing I'm worries about is the narrow width of the rims.

mtbr member
    yes Chain Reaction Cycles. You would save yourself almost 200 bucks over the Crossmax.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    yes Chain Reaction Cycles. You would save yourself almost 200 bucks over the Crossmax.
    They're a European shop, yeah? How was your experience with shipping to the US? Did it take forever?

I'm with stupid
    I run ST on my trail/AM rig and have not had a problem. Im 180ish without gear and do up to around 4 to 5ft drops with tannys with no issues. I tend to pick lines instead of just bang threw things but they seem to work out so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavic Crossmax ST for AM Riding?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356207045.745091.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dogbane,
    I live in Canada. I have place lots of orders with them. No issues yet. All of my orders have arrived in one weeks time including the wheelset I mentioned. Lots of people from the states order from them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I ran them for 2 years on my 575 with 2.35 and no issues.. Only finally had spokes tightened after 2 years

usually cranky
    i would be overly concerned running bigger tires on them. might not be an ideal profile and you may have to bump up the psi but what do you think will be a bigger difference: a less than ideal tire profile or light wheels? i mean it used to be that every one and their mom ran 719s on their bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbane View Post
    Awesome, it's great to hear positive feedback! The only thing I'm worries about is the narrow width of the rims.
    FYI I'm running Nobby Nics at relatively low PSI with no issues. Front 2.35 at 23PSI, rear 2.25 at 25 PSI. No burping.

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

Running 2.35's No Problem

I've been running the new ST's for the last year (15mm front/142 on the rear).
    And have had no problem's (probably my 5th Mavic Wheelset and generally they don't need much maintenance).
    I like the new upgraded hub's and the rim's make it super easy to run tubeless.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    For the AM crossmax not(BREAK) the best is the ZTR FLOW or DT SWISS EN500

> /dev/null 2&>1
    They're a European shop, yeah? How was your experience with shipping to the US? Did it take forever?
    They don't take long at all but u.s. buyers will have a customs fee over some $ threshold.

Not sure what the threshold was, but my $500 haven AL wheelset had a $28 customs fee. Not a huge deal but factor that into your decision.

mtbr member
    I run both wheelsets and have used the both for DH an XC applications. On my newer bike I went w/ the SLís just because its primary riding will be XC and didnít need the STís for that. While I did use the SLís for a couple of seasons at Mammoth and have taken way more abuse than I would have thought they would, I opted for the STís on the new AM bike due to the fact I have two bike bikes. Second with the AM I have more suspension travel and am pushing this bike further than I ever did w/ my older bike. The rigidity is better and I honestly feel Iím able to hold lines better, but itís splitting hairs at that point and the fact the new rims are 20mm (f) and 142mm x 12mm (r).
    The other rim I considered was the WTB Striker, but after 4 seasons on the SLís canít say a bad thing about them hence my decision to get the SLís. I run 2.1ís on the SLís and 2.35ís on the STís. I would have preferred the rims to be blackÖbut color isnít going to make be a better riderÖ.lol

Mavicís lineup changed in í12 and included improvements, much smoother than my í09 SLís.

I got a great deal on my wheelsets from Bicycle Emporium, saved on shipping and got them NOW instead of waiting. Could I have got them cheaper onlineÖ.some but again I had to wait and when I need them trued I need the LBS there to do it.

New

older
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavic Crossmax ST for AM Riding?-p1010609.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    I've been abusing ST's for years, 1st pair on a 575, 2nd on my Heackler, running 2.35's tubeless and have not had any issues. Thinking of grabbing a set for my new Remedy 9.8.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    I run both wheelsets and have used the both for DH an XC applications. On my newer bike I went w/ the SLís just because its primary riding will be XC and didnít need the STís for that. While I did use the SLís for a couple of seasons at Mammoth and have taken way more abuse than I would have thought they would, I opted for the STís on the new AM bike due to the fact I have two bike bikes. Second with the AM I have more suspension travel and am pushing this bike further than I ever did w/ my older bike. The rigidity is better and I honestly feel Iím able to hold lines better, but itís splitting hairs at that point and the fact the new rims are 20mm (f) and 142mm x 12mm (r).
    The other rim I considered was the WTB Striker, but after 4 seasons on the SLís canít say a bad thing about them hence my decision to get the SLís. I run 2.1ís on the SLís and 2.35ís on the STís. I would have preferred the rims to be blackÖbut color isnít going to make be a better riderÖ.lol

Mavicís lineup changed in í12 and included improvements, much smoother than my í09 SLís.

I got a great deal on my wheelsets from Bicycle Emporium, saved on shipping and got them NOW instead of waiting. Could I have got them cheaper onlineÖ.some but again I had to wait and when I need them trued I need the LBS there to do it.

New

older
    The Mavics on the new Shaver are SX which are wider, 21mm and weigh 1750g, just bought some myself!

mtbr member
    No one ever had issues with the front bearings? Ive had my st for only 4 months and the disc side bearings seized on me cuz no external seal. I normally wash my bike once ever other 2 rides. So i figured im gonna remove the axle every time and not wash so much. After replacing that side bearing with enduro max, readjust the preload to where it spins freely with no play as usual, it started getting gritty again after one ride and did not wash. So i took apart the axle again to check for problems. I looked carefully at the c clamp around the axle and it doesnt make full contact with the inner bearing race on the disc side bearing .Take it apart yourself . Thats uneven load on that particular bearing. To me its a design flaw. So ive now got ceramic bearings. Ill see how they are. Ive had 2012 easton havoc wheels and never had this problem and design to keep contanimants out, easton has an outer seal before the bearings! With even loads to the bearings. I replaced them cuz i know the mavic st is lighter and heard they are a reputible company. I tired emailing them, no replay ,its been almost 1 month. Then i wanted to email them again, but that email address is NO longer available! Im a trail rider, flowing trails , some rock gardens , at times 2-3 foot drops. I ride a khs 555 bike, not all mountain. Notice the poor seal design for the rear axle also. Water can easly get in, So far no issue with rear bearing failure
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavic Crossmax ST for AM Riding?-1381595484944.jpg  

Last edited by gocat; 10-12-2013 at 10:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Over 2 years, I had to true about 6 times and cracked a rim near the valve. I'm 170lbs on a Nomad, ride fast on rough trails and DH on occasion. I went with beefier wheels for this year and am happier with that decision.

mtbr member
    Hi, guys

I'm in the market for a light weight, yet durable wheelset for my Mojo HD. I saw a brand-new pair of Crossmax ST wheels for $560 and I know that's a screaming deal. I know the Crossmax ST wheels are more of a cross-country set, but I was wondering if anybody is usage them on their AM rigs. I'm 155 lbs and I like to hit some moderately big drops. The allure of these wheels is weight and price. Do you guys think I could make them work for aggressive AM riding? The claimed weight according to Mavic is 1590 grams. My alternative would be lacing hope pro 2 hubs to Stans ZTR hoops at about 1849 grams for $650. As always, any insight is greatly appreciated.
    My buddy runs the Crossmax ST on his Nomad C and loves them. He's very smooth and about 180lbs. He's a great rider and hits all the big stuff and logs tons of miles too. His Nomad C is 2.5lbs lighter than mine, running XX 1x10 with these wheels. It weighs in around 27.5lbs.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had great luck with the Mavis's on my Nicolai for the last 4 years, I ride them pretty aggressive plus I weight about 240pounds..