mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Is Mavic 823 over kill for intense 5.5

I ride my 5.5 now with Mavic 717 disk and Maxxis minyon 2.35
    The 717 are very light but more XC than AM.
    So I want to put the 823 UTS . they are 200 g hevier than the 717 but much stronger
    I ride agresive AM but don't jump more than 1 M

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I would say yes they are overkill, but everyone builds their bikes differently. Why not 819s or DT5.1s?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I want a awide rims

If I want to use my Maxxis minyon 2.35 i need a 30 rim

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by yarondot
    If I want to use my Maxxis minyon 2.35 i need a 30 rim
    The 823 is actually about 300g heavier per rim, and is probably overkill for you. Like Jdub said do something in between..5.1, Syncros DS-28, etc. etc. You don't need a 30mm wide rim to run a 2.35 (though it certainly doesn't hurt either).

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

In exile
    I hear that the DTs are super soft and dent easily. I ride Alex Supra Ds on a Reign and get along ok.

If you can ride them uphill, why does it matter? Your tire profiles will be better IMO.

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    The 823 is actually about 300g heavier per rim, and is probably overkill for you. Like Jdub said do something in between..5.1, Syncros DS-28, etc. etc. You don't need a 30mm wide rim to run a 2.35 (though it certainly doesn't hurt either).

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    300 gm heavier than what rim? Does that include the inserts for nipples or not, the 580 I listed?

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    300 gm heavier than what rim? Does that include the inserts for nipples or not, the 580 I listed?
    vs. the 717's he has now. The 823's are now 700g+ with the inserts.

Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    I hear that the DTs are super soft and dent easily. I ride Alex Supra Ds on a Reign and get along ok.

If you can ride them uphill, why does it matter? Your tire profiles will be better IMO.
    I was thinking about trying out the DT 5.1s for my next xc wheelset. I have heard about how easily these rims dent, a few times now.

I am currently using the ex721, which is a little over kill for xc/am use also, but about 60-80 grams lighter per rim, than the 823.

-> SickLines.com <-
    xm321 or mavic's new 719 might be worth looking T

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    xm321 or mavic's new 719 might be worth looking T
    I have the F519s (replaced by the 719). Theyre 450g, tough, and I've seen 'em being closed out for $29. I run 2.35 Kendas, Minions, and 2.4 Mutanos on them... I'm 190 lb, theyre on a Giant AC that sees some rough use. 1m jumps are no problem...

If you want UST, look at the 819s.

IMO, theres no reason to run dh rims on trails... 250-300g per rim is a pretty big difference, and unless youre huge, or a trailrider from he11, go lighter, pedal easier...

You don't need a 30mm rim, unless you want to mount big dh tires, too. I'm buying a 2nd wheelset for that, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I like wider rims and am currently using Mavic 321's for 2.3 and bigger tires. Wider rims seem to create a flatter tire profile and more rubber on the ground. I believe wheel stiffness is another benefit. I've considered trying the Stan's Freeride rim that is supposed to be 550 grams or maybe the 5.1. To me the 819's weren't wide enough.
    2 wheels

Custom User Title

Overkill??? Maybe

I've been running 823's for 5 years now, on my trail and DH bikes, and and put a spoke wrench to them once. They might be a little heavy but I'm not out here to save weight. I ride very aggressive and these wheels just keep asking for more abuse and take like they should. I hade a tire blow out while riding Crabapple Hitts in Whistler and rode on the rim for about 100 feet. I sanded off the burs, no need to re-true, mounted a new tire and I'm still running that wheel.

That kind a confidence is worth a little extra weight when I KNOW that I don't have to even think about my wheels at any time during my ride.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I went with Salsa rims Delgado

Only 450 g and 29mm wide
    I will put pic soon

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by yarondot
    Only 450 g and 29mm wide
    I will put pic soon

You mean these?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...7&category=146

Thats 22.5mm, not 29... I've never seen a 28mm plus rim that light.

The F519 / 719 are 450g and 24.6mm... Here's the 519s for $29. I use them for 2.35-2.4 tires. They take abuse well.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=20740

Otherwise, dt 5.1s, Mavic 823s, etc.. would be better for wider rims, but are a good bit heavier.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    You mean these?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...7&category=146

Thats 22.5mm, not 29... I've never seen a 28mm plus rim that light.

The F519 / 719 are 450g and 24.6mm... Here's the 519s for $29. I use them for 2.35-2.4 tires. They take abuse well.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=20740

Otherwise, dt 5.1s, Mavic 823s, etc.. would be better for wider rims, but are a good bit heavier.
    Actually that's a mis-print, they are indeed 29mm wide and the weight is accurate. They are very light for the width, so definitely not as strong as most rims of that width.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I the Delgado Disk 29" version on my 29" bike and so far so good, I weigh 180.

To me the profile looks similar to DT 5.1 and the rims on Easton Havoc's

http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_rims.html
    2 wheels

Oh, So Interesting!
    Hmmm, I (and universal cycles) stand corrected.

Thats pretty sweet, wide and light...

How do you think they compare to the Mavic 519/719 stregnth-wise? Seems like they couldnt be as strong, but I can deal with some truing now and then, my 519s require a little maintnence. Just as long as they won't flat spot real easy...

I want a wider rim next time, too. I thought I'd be sacraficing weight, but if these work out that would be really cool.